https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/143293-tageditor_dont_want_to_open_ppt.html

TagEditor don't want to open .ppt
Thread poster: Gretel Schoukens
Gretel Schoukens
Gretel Schoukens  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 21:40
German to Dutch
+ ...
Aug 20, 2009

Hello,

Normally, I don't have any problems to open and save .ppt-documents in TagEditor. Only one file of a project doesn't want to open (about 62 kB). I got the following message:

AppName: tageditor.exe AppVer: 8.3.0.863 ModName: msvcp80.dll
ModVer: 8.0.50727.762 Offset: 0000dead5

(with a lot more I can't copy)

and TagEditor closes.

Is there a size limit for documents to open? What could I do?

Thanks for sug
... See more
Hello,

Normally, I don't have any problems to open and save .ppt-documents in TagEditor. Only one file of a project doesn't want to open (about 62 kB). I got the following message:

AppName: tageditor.exe AppVer: 8.3.0.863 ModName: msvcp80.dll
ModVer: 8.0.50727.762 Offset: 0000dead5

(with a lot more I can't copy)

and TagEditor closes.

Is there a size limit for documents to open? What could I do?

Thanks for suggestions!
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Try saving the PPT in another PPT format Aug 20, 2009

For example, if you have PowerPoint 2003, you can download the Microsoft Office 2007 Compatibility Pack (or sth. like that) that allows you to save Office files in the 2007 formats. Then you can save the PPT as PPTX and try to open that in TE. If it already is a PPTX, save it as a PPT and so on.

Also, TE might not open a PPTX file if it is saved with the PPT extension. Try changing it to PPTX and see what happens.

TE is also picky about filenames - if the PPT has a comp
... See more
For example, if you have PowerPoint 2003, you can download the Microsoft Office 2007 Compatibility Pack (or sth. like that) that allows you to save Office files in the 2007 formats. Then you can save the PPT as PPTX and try to open that in TE. If it already is a PPTX, save it as a PPT and so on.

Also, TE might not open a PPTX file if it is saved with the PPT extension. Try changing it to PPTX and see what happens.

TE is also picky about filenames - if the PPT has a complicated filename with more than one extension, multiple dots etc., try simplifying the filename.

Hope that helps - the error message was too short to guess the cause of the problem.

PS. If you don't have to use TE, you could try the Werecat tool that copies translatable content between PowerPoint and Word.
Collapse

Gretel Schoukens
Gretel Schoukens  Identity Verified
Slovenia
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you! Aug 21, 2009

Thank you, Adam, for your reaction. I could save the file as .pptx and than TagEditor would open it. Why it didn't want this .ppt-file, although it opened others, I don't know, but anyway...

Have a nice day!
Gretel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor don't want to open .ppt

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »