TRADOS 2009 not opening Word docs with (non existent) tracked changes
Thread poster: HealthcarePro

HealthcarePro  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:15
English to German
Aug 21, 2009

In the vague hope someone from SDL or someone with a practicable solution is reading this:

I just bought SDL TRADOS 2009 (first time user) and so far I've had nothing but grief with it. 3 out of 4 WORD docs I tried to open had the same problems, that is it won't open them because it has tracked changes - except they don't!

I tried copying and pasting to new doc - nothing, tried saving as rtf then doc again - NOTHING, tried forcing via the options in TRADO 2007 - N.O.T.H.I.N.G... getting seriously frustrated here, how can you charge 700 Euros for a software that fails to do the most basic thing... opening a Word doc!

Btw, I of course also went and accepted all changes, turned off tracking etc. in Word, it doesn't make the tiniest difference!

Anyone please tell me I didn't throw all that money out of the window and offer a solution, thank you!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Using the Track Changes Options Aug 21, 2009

difool23 wrote:

Btw, I of course also went and accepted all changes, turned off tracking etc. in Word, it doesn't make the tiniest difference!

Hello,

You can switch of this check in Studio and open a document that has track changes and lots of comments.

Go to

Tool>Options>FileTypes

Then choose the version of word you want, for example

Microsoft Word 2007>Other Settings

Then check the option called;

Process documents with non accepted or rejected changes

This will allow you to open a word document that is still in progress during the authoring cycle. An added advantage of doing this, assuming that you don't want to give your client the opportunity to double check this is the correctly finished document first, is that in the real time preview for word you can see the changes, and hover over the commented text to see the comments made in the word document.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

HealthcarePro  Identity Verified
Spain
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
It works Aug 21, 2009

Thank you Paul, that seems to work!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS 2009 not opening Word docs with (non existent) tracked changes

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search