SDL Trados 2007: opening .doc (after ttx clean-up) causes Word crash
Thread poster: Annette Heinrich

Annette Heinrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:21
Dutch to German
+ ...
Aug 24, 2009

Dear colleagues,

after translating a .doc document in TagEditor (SDL Trados 2007) and cleaning the document, opening the resulting .doc file causes Word 2000 to crash.
However, opening the original .doc in Word 2000 works as usual.

If I convert the cleaned .doc to Word 2007 format (by right-clicking the document in Windows Explorer and selecting "Save as..."), I can open it in Word 2000 but the formatting is destroyed.

Translating the .doc directly in Word is not an option because a well-known issue occurs: certain segments can be opened but not closed.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem and knows a solution?
Could the issue be caused by the Word version in which the document was created (I don't know which one was used), i.e. an incompatibility between that version and Word 2000?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Annette

Annette Heinrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:21
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update Aug 24, 2009

After spending another couple of hours on this issue, I found out the cause: the document contains some badly formatted flow charts (text in text fields), some of them with groupings. These charts seem to cause problems when reconverted from ttx to doc. After deleting them, everything works fine.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2007: opening .doc (after ttx clean-up) causes Word crash

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search