Thread poster: Dennis Boffy
Dennis Boffy
Denmark
Local time: 19:47
English to Danish
+ ...
Aug 24, 2009

Hi all,

I have just tried using Trados Studio 2009 for the first time, and I am having some difficulties. I am hoping that some of you will be able to help me with the below problems. Thanks in advance!

1) I have added a Word style to the "Non-translatable styles" (structure tags) for the file type "Word 2000-2003", but whereas in Word I would still see the text that belongs to a "non-translatable style" (which is often necessary to navigate in the document), although it would be excluded from the segments, Studio hides it completely. Any way to get Studio to show text that belongs to a "non-translatable style"?

2) I can't get Studio to connect to a customer's MultiTerm Anywyere server. If I enter the address "X", I get an error code that informs me that the address X:80/PlatformServices/Discovery.svc is unavailable... that is, Studio adds "80/PlatformServices/Discovery.svc" to the address I enter. This is a server that works fine with Workbench.

3) I would like to change the project preparation task sequence (specifically remove the pre-translate task, since it takes forever!) for some of my project templates, but when I go through the New Project wizard and get to Project Preparation, where - according to Help - I should be able to edit the task sequence by selecting "Custom" in the pull-down menu, this menu item does not exist. The only menu items are "Prepare", "Prepare without project TM" and "Analyze only", and the Task Sequences button is grayed out. This is also the case if I go through the menu File > Setup > Project Templates. Does anyone know why this happens and how I can change the task sequence?

4) More generally about project templates, is there no way to create a new project template other than starting the New Project wizard as if I wanted to start a project? In File > Setup > Project Templates I can only edit existing templates, not create new ones. Also, selecting termbases for project templates can apparently only be done in the New Project wizard, not through the Setup menu. Not very user-friendly...

5) I thought it should be possible to save translations as bilingual files in the old TTX format from Studio, but how do I do that? I can only find "Save copy as", "Save target as" and "Save Source as", there is no "Save bilingual as". I wanted to be able to use Studio even with customers that haven't upgraded to Studio, so I can't send them files in the new .sdlxliff format.

My last question is not a problem per se, but I wondered if anyone knows what the idea behind copying the TMs before each project is? As it is, my primary TM - which takes up 93 MB in disk space in Trados 2007 format - now takes up 510 MB! Half a gigabyte! This is just absurd. And if Studio then also copies the TM for each project, I will quickly run out of hard disk space, not to mention that my daily remote backup over the internet will take forever. This seriously does not seem very well thought through. Is it your experience as well that TMs grow by a factor 5 or more?

I realize this is a complicated and comprehensive list of questions, but since Trados isn't the most forthcoming company when it comes to servicing their customers, I am very much hoping that someone here can help with some of these problems. Once again, thanks a lot in advance!

Dennis

Direct link Reply with quote

T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
...You cannot! Aug 24, 2009

Boffy wrote:

2) I can't get Studio to connect to a customer's MultiTerm Anywyere server. If I enter the address "X", I get an error code that informs me that the address X:80/PlatformServices/Discovery.svc is unavailable... that is, Studio adds "80/PlatformServices/Discovery.svc" to the address I enter. This is a server that works fine with Workbench.

You cannot...
AFAIK, Trados 2009 and its Multiterm 2009 have been released without a Server compatible edition. And so, you have to unistall Multerm 2007 in order to install Studio, but then you lose any ability to access Multiterm online, since this is compatible only with the previous versions.
To sum up: if you install Studio 2009, you cannot access Multiterm online.
(sarcasm) That is called backward compatibility (/sarcasm)

Boffy wrote:
5) I thought it should be possible to save translations as bilingual files in the old TTX format from Studio, but how do I do that? I can only find "Save copy as", "Save target as" and "Save Source as", there is no "Save bilingual as". I wanted to be able to use Studio even with customers that haven't upgraded to Studio, so I can't send them files in the new .sdlxliff format..

You cannot...
Probably you haven't read any of the million lines dropped everywhere (on Proz.com, on Idea.com, etc) about this point: the only bilingual workflow in Studio is the SDLXLIFF one...Others are impossible or quite complicated (nothing as "Save as" anyway!)
For further details on this point, you may want to follow this thread or
(sarcasm) you could also wait tomorrow morning, when a new one will be opened! (/sarcasm)

If you want to know more about the (sarcasm) backward compatibility (/sarcasm) from an LSP point of view, you may want to read here.

Furthermore, you may want support one of the ideas dealing with this issue.

(sarcasm) Good luck (/sarcasm) with the other issues...

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 16:47
English to Portuguese
Tough questions... Aug 24, 2009

I have never dealt with any of those problems, but see the following as just comments:

1- Since my clients demand bilingual Word DOCs, I transform all DOCs in TTXs on Freelance 2007 and translate in Studio, saving back as TTXs. Open Freelance and convert the TTXs back to DOCs, adjusting all necessary on the bilinguals... Not the best thing, but works fine for me;

2- Good one for SDL Support...

3- I just "go with the flow". Never needed to alter the sequence for performance, just do specific, single ones (fast machine)...

4- Ditto...

5- You can only save as TTX if you've opened a TTX. See (1) above...

6- TM size: that's really weird. Studio has grown my TMs for a factor of 2.5 (250 MB to 610 MB etc.). Another good one for SDL Support.

Rgds

Edric

[Edited at 2009-08-24 19:54 GMT]

Dennis Boffy
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My rude awakening... Aug 24, 2009

Renato Renno wrote:

Probably you haven't read any of the million lines dropped everywhere (on Proz.com, on Idea.com, etc) about this point: the only bilingual workflow in Studio is the SDLXLIFF one...

Hi Renato,

Thanks for your reply... although it left me rather shellshocked! And no, I guess I haven't read any of the warnings... I thought I'd looked around before I sent Trados my money, but obviously not well enough. Sigh!

I read the threads that you linked to. With regard to the idea to use a "satellite" - a seperate program? - I'm not sure I like that solution. The only method that makes any kind of sense (for logically thinking people, that is, not necessarily for Trados!) is to implement TTX compatibility in Studio immediately! And I mean the ability to save as well as to read the format, even if the source file is not TTX. I, like many others, am expected to deliver bilingual Word files to my customers. I guess TTX files would do, but the SDLXLIFF format is useless for those customers (in my case: all of them!) that haven't "upgraded" to Studio.

And with regard to MultiTerm 2009 not having the MT Anywhere functionality - well, I'm at a loss of words! I am shocked! And I need to end this post before I say something that would attract the attention of the moderators... But thanks for taking the time to enlighten me. I still hope to hear from other people on my remaining issues (although I now fear more shocks...)

Dennis Boffy
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds easy, but... Aug 25, 2009

Edric Barbosa Filho wrote:

Good one for SDL Support...

Thanks for your input. Sounds like a good idea, but do you know how to get in touch with SDL Support? No kidding, all they have is that Solution Finder. It's practically impossible to contact them, unless you pay (another) fortune for support in addition to what you already paid for their buggy suftware...

Edit: Now I tried tinkering with it, and I don't see how you can get from TTX to bilingual DOC? Isn't the only way to deliver TTX instead of bilingual DOC to the customers?

[Edited at 2009-08-25 14:41 GMT]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TM growth easy explained Aug 25, 2009

It is a completly new TM format, saving not just a sentence pair with some fields, but a structure, ie a sentence before the current one to get some kind of context matching.
And in times of current HDD prices the size shouldn't be a real problem.

Dennis Boffy
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A question of time rather than price Aug 26, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

And in times of current HDD prices the size shouldn't be a real problem.

You are right, of course - and I didn't mean that the price of HDD space was the problem. I use a remote backup solution where my files are backed up to a remote server via the Internet on a daily basis, and with such large files, it takes around an hour each time. That was my point. Also, since my brand-new Studio database is converted from a Trados 2007-database that doesn't contain structure information, I still don't think it should grow that much. But anyway!

So any more comments to my questions? Or - seriously - does anyone know how to contact and get a reply from Trados support regarding their faulty software without paying for the privilege in the form of a service contract? Their Solution Finder only allows people to contact them with installation and licensing problems. With "ordinary" bugs, defects, errors and other unintended behaviour in general, customers are on their own once they have paid for the program...

If anyone from Trados is monitoring this forum, I would very much appreciate a reply to my questions. Since my original post I have come across about 5 new bugs or errors plus a lot of suggestions for improvements that I would like to pass on to you, but I don't want to clutter this thread with even more questions before people here have had a chance to reply.

Thanks in advance!

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados Support... Aug 26, 2009

Hello Dennis,

I received your e-mail regarding these queries, thank you. I thought it would be best to reply to your online post for the benefit of other users:

1. TW4WinNonTranslatable styles are excluded from translation by design. If you would like to view non- translatable text then I would recommend you take advantage of the new Real-Time preview function. This will preview the document while you translate; displaying your translations and all non-translatable styles. Alternatively, you can go to File > View In and view the source or target document.

2. Multiterm Anywhere 2007 and previous versions are not compatible with SDL Multiterm 2009. Our new server products are due shortly which will allow full compatibility between SDL Trados Studio 2009 and Multiterm Anywhere 2009.

3. Custom task sequences are not available for users of SDL Trados Studio Freelance (customizable task sequences are a feature of the Professional Edition). For Freelance users, when creating a new project, I highly recommend using the "Prepare without project TM" Task Sequence which will ensure that project TMs are not created as part of pre-translation, and that the master TM does not need to be copied when you finalise the project. We have created this task sequence specifically for FL users to ensure they can work best even without having custom task sequences available.

I believe this will benefit those of you who wish to update their main TM actively during translation.

4. You cannot create a new project template from the Project Templates window. To create a new project template, display the Projects view and right-click on the project for which you want to base the template on and select Create Project Template from the shortcut menu.

5. SDL Trados Studio 2009 uses a new and improved XLIFF based format which comes with many advantages over TTX. One main advantage is that an sdlxliff file contains the source document data which means:

a. You only need the .sdlxliff copy of the file (and do not need the corresponding source document) for using the Save Source As and Save Target As commands.
b. You only need the .sdlxliff copy of the file for using any of the preview features.

I will also send you a copy of the new TTX Compatibility Guide which we will be publishing shortly. This will explain TTX and SDLXLIFF compatibility in more detail.

6. When you create a project, by default a new project TM is created. This TM stores the translations you will make during the project without updating your main TM until you finalise the project. Working this way can be useful if you want to use your project TM as a "scratchpad" TM and only update your main TM when you are fully done doing the translation and before running the Finalise task. Normally this way of working is recommended to users of the Professional version, as this ensures that project TMs can be sent to translators working on a project, without affecting the master TM. Typically it is not so useful for users of the Freelance version who traditionally work directly with the master TM, updating it as they work through files both at translation and review stage. So, as said above, you can skip the project TM step by using the Prepare without Project TM task sequence. This will ensure that only one TM is used throughout the project lifecycle.

I hope I have answered your questions suitably. Again, I will e-mail you the TTX compatibility guide which we will be publishing shortly.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Dennis Boffy
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No TTX + no Multiterm = Studio is useless! Aug 27, 2009

Hi Gareth,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I have a couple of comments to my original 6 questions plus some new questions and suggestions. I hope we can continue the dialogue here to everyone's benefit – mine, Trados' and the other forum users'.

I will start by commenting on your replies to my 6 original questions. After that I continue with some new questions that I have encountered. I continue the numbering of questions from my original post so the first new problem is no. 7. In addition, I am listing a number of suggestions.

OLD QUESTIONS:

1) Please see question 9 and suggestion 7 below.

2) Would translation agencies need to purchase MultiTerm Anywyere 2009, or is that a free upgrade to their existing software? If they can upgrade for free, then no problem – I just hope they do so quickly. But if they need to buy it, then one could almost get the idea that Trados is purposefully trying to obstruct collaboration across the "Studio-previous version divide" in an attempt to boost sales by creating what you could call a "snowball effect" where users who already upgraded to Studio put pressure to do so on those that haven't done it yet – especially when seen in connection with the lack of TTX functionality that I will address later.

3) In that case I would suggest that you add this information to the Help function. I found no mention of this when I was looking for help with the problem. Also, you should make it possible to disable pre-translation. I often receive files that contain both information for me about the translation, but which is not supposed to be translated itself, and the actual text to be translated, all in one file. In addition, the preparation process takes several minutes, which is a very large part of why Studio is next to useless as is – with many small assignments, the time wasted while Studio prepares projects becomes unbearable.

4) But by the time the project can be seen in the Projects view, I have already had to run the Project Wizard with another project template… this seems to be the upside-down way to do it! Why not make it possible to create templates before the user has to use them? Please see suggestion 10 for more on this.

5) When you write “You only need sdlxliff…”, you forget to mention that this is only the case in a scenario where both freelancer and customer can process sdlxliff files - in other words, where both parties have upgraded to Studio. As has been discussed at great length in this forum, this is far from always the case. For this reason I strongly support the call for Trados to implement the ability to create TTX files in Studio (that is, saving ongoing or finished translations of e.g. Word files as TTX files even though they were originally opened as Word files in Studio). This looks like another attempt at creating the “snowball effect” that I described above - where users that have upgraded to Studio will put pressure on users that haven't, because otherwise collaboration becomes unbearably cumbersome. It is outright absurd to have to go through Tageditor/Workbench to convert files, and on top of that do the "dummy translation" and testing of TTX files before starting translation work as described in the TTX Compatibility Guide that you sent me. What happened to the great productivity increases that were the main selling point of Studio? If you have many small assignments (as I do), this very elaborate process with conversion, dummy translation, running the Project Wizard and waiting for the project preparation to finish will make translation work MUCH slower. More on this in my conclusions.

6) Ok, I’m glad that as a freelancer I am not supposed to copy the TMs. But – again – please explain this in the guides and in Help! If this information is in fact in there somewhere, I didn’t find it with the search terms I used. Generally I must say that the guides and Help look more like they were written by technicians than by teachers! And let me also repeat my wish that you make it possible for freelancers to disable pre-translation in addition to disabling the copying of the TM.

NEW QUESTIONS:

7) What is the difference between the keyboard shortcuts "Concordance" (which appears twice in Options > Keyboard shortcuts) and "Perform concordance search"? It seems that only the "Concordance" shortcut actually performs concordance search, which is rather confusing...

8) Formatting tags are shown in Editor view even though I have selected to "hide recognized formatting tags" in Options > Editor. Isn't this setting supposed to make the editor more "Word-like" so that I don't see formatting tags but only the actual formatting? If not, please consider this a suggestion to that effect!

9) I get errors whenever I try to open Preview, both with Word and TTX files. I have sent you screen dumps to illustrate.

10) I often get error messages when I try to save my project with Ctrl+S. Once, after saving target as TTX, I could suddenly save the project, but the next time I tried to save the project, the error message reappeared. I have sent you a screen dump of this as well. This might have something to do with the TTX Compatibility Guide that you sent me, but I haven't had the time to experiment. If anything, it only shows that the way the TTX document workflow functions now is anything but user-friendly and efficient.

11) Why does Studio copy all the file types for each new project - can I keep it from doing that?

12) When Project Wizard is open (and perhaps in other situations as well), Studio sometimes is not shown in the Windows program change window that appears when you press Alt+Tab.

SUGGESTIONS:

1) It would be nice if there were a keyboard shortcut to jump (move the cursor) between source and target segments, e.g. if I want to do a concordance search and so need to highlight a word in the source segment. In Word I just have to press Up Arrow a few lines to be in the source segment. Generally I try to avoid using the mouse as much as possible to avoid so-called computer related repetitive strain injury, so it would be better to be able to navigate between source and target segments with a keyboard shortcut.

2) It should be possible to delete/edit source segments. Sometimes it is actually necessary to remove things from the source text.

3) It should be possible to resize the fonts in the concordance, TM search and editor windows individually in Tools > Options > Editor > Font Adaptation - for some reason I get different fonts and font sizes.

4) There should be an autosave feature as in Word, so that Studio automatically saves the project at fixed intervals chosen by the user.

5) The editor should automatically capitalize the first letter in a sentence (as in Word).

6) Grammar errors should be detected and highlighted in Editor (as in Word).

7) It would be really great if the Editor view presented the text in the way it looks in the source document to make the translation experience more like with Word and Workbench. I find it very helpful to see the text with formatting and everything the way it looks in the source document when I translate. Often the context of text boxes, pictures or fonts can provide information that makes it easier to know how the text should be translated. I realize this is what the preview function is for, but it would be even better to be able to translate directly in a view that presents the text the way it looks in the actual document.

8) Alt+Ctrl+Right Arrow should work the same way as with Workbench so that not only Next Formatting but also Next Placeable can be inserted this way. I cannot find a shortcut for Insert Next Placeable, and since the list of placeables that appear keeps the same order even after you have inserted the first placeable, it becomes tedious having to press the arrow keys over and over as you move along the segment and have to select the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. placeable.

9) It should be possible to edit and add elements to the auto-localization list. E.g. short dates - they should be written with periods in Danish (27.08.09 for August 27th, 2009), not hyphens, which is the only option in the auto-localization list. Also, in Danish there must be a space before a percentage sign (e.g. "10 %"), so it would be great to be able to program Studio to automatically insert a space (actually a "hard space") when inserting a percentage as a placeable.

10) I feel that the whole process of creating a project is way too cumbersome. Ways to improve it: Make it possible to set a default start folder for the Project Wizard instead of having to navigate through Documents > Work > Assignments > (current customer) > (current assignment) > (subfolder for Studio files because Studio needs an empty folder) each time. By having the wizard start in Assignments (in my case) each time, I just have to choose the customer and the assignment. If Studio could also automatically create a subfolder to the selected working folder for the sdlxliff files and all the other files that it creates for each project, that would again make the process easier. Or the very best solution: Make it possible to drag and drop a file/files for translation in the Projects view and have Studio automatically add these files to a new project, create the necessary subfolder in the files' folder and open the wizard for update settings and filters. Speaking of which, the update settings and filters are overly complicated. Something along the lines of the project and filter settings from Workbench would be much better, especially the button Apply current filter/project settings so you don't have to set it all twice.

That's it! Now to my conclusions. Generally, based on the above and on other people's contributions, I see 2 major, fundamental (and somewhat overlapping) problems with Trados Studio:

One is that the great productivity improvements that Trados promised with Studio get lost in the very cumbersome document workflow that is necessary for freelancers who need to work with bilingual documents that are backwards compatible (that is, TTX) plus the clumsy workings of the Project Wizard and the project preparation process (and other processes) taking a lot of computing time.

The other is the fact that collaboration between Trados Studio users and users of previous versions has been rendered impossible, in large part due to the aforementioned bilingual document workflow, but also because of the lack of compatibility between Multiterm 2009 and Multiterm Anywhere 2007.

Seen together, these two grave flaws in Studio seem to be a deliberate business strategy on the part of Trados to actually remove functionality and compatibility in an attempt to force the “snowball effect” that I mentioned before where Trados users (freelancers or agencies) that already upgraded to Studio find themselves unable to collaborate with users that didn’t and so put pressure on them to do so.

This leads me to my main – and very strong – recommendation: Please make Studio fully and truly backwards compatible! This is absolutely essential in my mind and would imply implementing full TTX functionality in Studio (that is, that Studio can save in TTX format (or even better, in the old bilingual Word format) even if e.g. a Word file was opened in Studio as a Word file without first being converted to TTX format) and making Multiterm 2009 compatible with MT Anywhere 2007. The current situation is unbearable. After reading your reply and the replies of others I have had to face the fact that to me, in its current version, Studio is useless. I have customers that demand that I use their online term bases, which use MT Anywhere 2007 software, and this is impossible with Multiterm 2009. I can't even use their term bases with Trados 2007 without downgrading to Multiterm 2007 – and then I would lose all Multiterm functionality in Studio! It is grotesque! I can only see 3 reasons why Trados would do this: Either their programmers aren't skilled enough to implement the compatibility with TTX and Multiterm in the software, which I doubt; it is a calculated decision to force the upgrade to Studio throughout the industry – the aforementioned "snowball effect" - which I don't hope; or it just wasn't properly thought through. Can you tell me which reason is the right one? And whichever reason is the right one, are you in a position to find out if the persons at Trados with the power to decide these things can see my points and are willing to remedy these grave problems?

My suggestions are very seriously meant, and I hope that you will see them as such. Therefore I also hope to hear from you as soon as you have had the time to look into it – I realize it's quite a mouthful! Thanks a lot in advance.

T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Just a quick note... Aug 27, 2009

Boffy wrote:
With regard to the idea to use a "satellite" - a seperate program? - I'm not sure I like that solution. The only method that makes any kind of sense (for logically thinking people, that is, not necessarily for Trados!) is to implement TTX compatibility in Studio immediately

I totally agree with you!
(another reference for you: "Open letters" to SDL written by Trados users).

The very first thing to do is to build a bridge from Studio -> Suite (i.e let Studio create TTXs and TTX based packages)...
This way LSPs can step to Studio (they'd have an improved Project Management environment AND the Trados compatibility) and Translators can step too, finding an improved Translation environment and more requests to use it, without having to open Suite, do the first conversion, do the second one, and then a third, fourth,...

The idea of the Satellite version goes further in this direction...
It would boost and extend the adoption of Studio in the translation chain: there are thousands of LSPs sharing bilingual files for millions of reasons and this CAT has simply trapped (and please note, improved!!!) the bilingual workflow inside its closed environment...But this way: or LSP' final clients buy Studio, or the LSPs will have to completely rebuild their proven workflows.

Unfortunatelly, without this (or any other smart) move, LSPs will remain on SUITE for a longer time (the migration has never been an easy step, try to magine this one!)...And so you will have to go back and forward between the 2 products (because the file arrived as a Word doc and has to come back as Word doc...bilingual!)...

...Untill you will get tired of this and will switch back to Suite, leaving Studio get dusty in your hard drive...
Boffy wrote:
And with regard to MultiTerm 2009 not having the MT Anywhere functionality - well, I'm at a loss of words! I am shocked! ...

...Or even worse out of the hard drive, because - as SDL confirmed - if you install Studio, you cannot connect to the Multiterm server of your client (and even when the Multirerm Studio SERVER will be released, there will still be the same problem we are discussing here about the Studio DESKTOP product!)

Ah...SDL, why are you torturing my beloved CAT?!

Lang Sol
United States
Local time: 12:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Creating a bilingual Word file from Studio 2009 Sep 1, 2009

Hi all,

We have been working with this issue and I see it on your forum. We had figured this out in SDLX and it was very helpful for those clients that wanted a bilingual Word file whether for client review, typesetting, etc.

To do so in SDL Trados Studio 2009, Go to File - Batch Task - Print Preview (you can also select the options you want to display - we like it to have the segment numbers) - This Print Preview file is an html file. Save that html file and then go to it, right click and choose OPEN WITH - here choose Word. Then save the file as a doc file.

Works beautifully

Cheers,

Melissa

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
TTXs from Studio Sep 3, 2009

Boffy wrote:

5) I thought it should be possible to save translations as bilingual files in the old TTX format from Studio, but how do I do that? I can only find "Save copy as", "Save target as" and "Save Source as", there is no "Save bilingual as". I wanted to be able to use Studio even with customers that haven't upgraded to Studio, so I can't send them files in the new .sdlxliff format.

First save the original file in TagEditor to create a TTX. Translate in Studio and then choose Save Target As... /TTX when you're done to get a legacy bilingual.
Making the conversion to TTX yourself avoids problems with the Preview feature.
And yes, this should have been under a command called Save Bilingual As..

[Edited at 2009-09-03 09:15 GMT]

Dennis Boffy
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another kind of bilingual Sep 3, 2009

Lang Sol wrote:

To do so in SDL Trados Studio 2009, Go to File - Batch Task - Print Preview (you can also select the options you want to display - we like it to have the segment numbers) - This Print Preview file is an html file. Save that html file and then go to it, right click and choose OPEN WITH - here choose Word. Then save the file as a doc file.

I tried your suggestion, Melissa, but it seems we don't have the same idea about what a bilingual Word file is. What I meant was the same type of file that you get when translating in Word with Workbench, that is a Word file with hidden source segments. Using your method I get a file with two columns containing the source and target texts respectively - plus all kinds of other things such as the segment numbers, tags and stuff. Such a file cannot be cleaned in Workbench and imported into a Trados TM, which was the idea with a bilingual Word file - in order to keep the same document workflow with Studio as with Word/Workbench. That was the point: to be able to use Studio but keep the same document workflow as with Word/Workbench for those customers that require that. So I'm afraid that your suggestion does not solve my problem.

Dennis Boffy
Denmark
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Possible, but definitely not user-friendly. Sep 3, 2009

Joel Earnest wrote:

First save the original file in TagEditor to create a TTX. Translate in Studio and then choose Save Target As... /TTX when you're done to get a legacy bilingual.
And yes, this should have been under a command called Save Bilingual As.

Joel, thanks for your suggestion. Someone else also suggested this method, and it will work, but I find it way too cumbersome having to juggle files back and forth between several programs.

I am e-mailing with Gareth Powell from SDL about all my questions right now (conclusions will be posted here later), but I am not optimistic that anything will come of it with regards to the functionality issues such as Save bilingual as. I have not had the time to read Gareth's last mail yet, but I saw that he wrote something about it being technically impossible to save a SDLXLIFF file as TTX. I will read up on it over the weekend (I hope!), but in my view, it seems that SDL simply made som fundamental (and, it seems, irreversible) errors (or strategic decisions... what I call the "snowball effect" in one of my earlier posts) during the planning of Studio.

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
TTX conversion Sep 4, 2009

Boffy wrote:

Joel Earnest wrote:

And yes, this should have been under a command called Save Bilingual As.

Joel, thanks for your suggestion. Someone else also suggested this method, and it will work, but I find it way too cumbersome having to juggle files back and forth between several programs.

I am e-mailing with Gareth Powell from SDL about all my questions right now (conclusions will be posted here later), but I am not optimistic that anything will come of it with regards to the functionality issues such as Save bilingual as. I have not had the time to read Gareth's last mail yet, but I saw that he wrote something about it being technically impossible to save a SDLXLIFF file as TTX. I will read up on it over the weekend (I hope!), but in my view, it seems that SDL simply made som fundamental (and, it seems, irreversible) errors (or strategic decisions... what I call the "snowball effect" in one of my earlier posts) during the planning of Studio.

I've had some contact with a programmer when putting up an idea for adding the capacity to save SDLXLIFFs as TTXs and was told that the expense makes it unrealistic. There would have to be overwhelming support for the idea before it would be adopted.

A couple of things:
1. According to the announcement made upon the release of Studio (as I remember it), the Suite version would be phased out further down the road and the TTX conversion feature would be added to Studio.
2. It's a bother having to open TagEditor and/or Workbench to make the conversion to TTX, and it'll be nice once/if it becomes unnecessary. but I feel that the bother is worth being able to work in Studio. I'm currently running a beta of the next release and all is going smoothly.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Various beginner's problems with Studio 2009

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search