Studio 2009: Best way to sync projects on two PCs?
Thread poster: Lectorcito

Lectorcito  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:37
English to Spanish
Aug 25, 2009

Hello there,

I would like to be able to work on a project both on my desktop when I am at home and at my laptop when I am out. Is there a simple way to keep a project synchronized between two computers with Studio 2009? I am using the freelance version, so I can't create packages.

I thought it would be enough to copy the contents from my SDL Trados Studio and SDL Multiterm folders to my Dropbox (a program to share and sync files), but I always get several error messages (can't find the glossary, can't find the TM, etc.). I can't find anything on the manual about this, either.

Thanks for your attention.


 

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 00:37
English to Czech
+ ...
File paths Aug 25, 2009

Hi,
a Studio project consists of several files and one .SDLPROJ file, which is basically an XML where the file paths and other information is stored.
So, if you want to synchronize your projects, it is not enough to copy just the project itself, but the TMs and TDBs too. Moreover, these have to be stored in the same folder, read "folder structure", as on the original machine from which the project has been copied from.
Alternatively, you can copy the TMs and TDBs to different folders on the target machine, but be sure to update the file links in the project.


 

Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:37
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Don't have the same folder structure on two PCs Aug 26, 2009

Hello

I have seen that I have posted the same question. Sorry for this.

I have another folder structure on my laptop (working with Vista there and with XP on my desktop computer). Will I have to synchronise the whole structure to be able to copy my projects?

I guess Studio saves some files in the programm folders but I have my project saved in my "translation" folder.

Does that mean that I will have to copy the whole structure not only for my office hard disk but also for the hard disk partition where my software (like Studio) is installed?

Thanks for your answers.

Leena

[Edited at 2009-08-26 08:43 GMT]


 

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 00:37
English to Czech
+ ...
Only folder structure Aug 26, 2009

Hi Leena,
the projects have nothing to do with HDD partitions. They only need the same folder structure because otherwise Trados will look for the files in a different location. Let me give an example.
1) You work on your desktop.
- The TM is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\Documents\Translations\TMs.
- The termbase is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\Documents\Translations\TDBs.
- The project files are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\Project X

2) Now you copy the "Project X" folder from your desktop into your laptop machine. You copy:
- The TM into C:\Documents and Settings\Documents\TMs
- The termbase into C:\Documents and Settings\Documents\TDBs
- The project files into C:\Documents and Settings\Documents\SDL Trados Studio\Project X

3) When you now open the project, all project files will be found because they are in the same folder as before. However, Studio on your laptop will not find:
- The TM, because it was originally stored in C:\Documents and Settings\Documents\Translations\TMs but now it is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\Documents\TMs (i.e. the folder "Translations" is missing from the file path).
- The TDB, bacause it was originally stored in C:\Documents and Settings\Documents\Translations\TDBs, but now it is stored in C:\Documents and Settings\Documents\TDBs (i.e. the folder "Translations" is missing from the file path again).

This is what I meant by keeping the file paths. Another alternative is using the project packages, of course. This should be the safest way if you are not sure about which file goes where.

[Upraveno: 2009-08-26 14:37 GMT]


 

kaarko
Local time: 00:37
English to Slovak
+ ...
paths Aug 27, 2009

The basic problem here is that in XP the folder is called "Documents and Settings", while in Vista it's called "Documents". so this has to be edited in the project file when transferring from Vista to Xp and vice versa.
IMHO, it is not the best way to have everything in the "Documents and Settings" folder. I store translations (and Studio projects) in D:\Translations on all computers and have no problems with transferring


[Edited at 2009-08-27 22:39 GMT]


 

Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:37
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
thank you Aug 29, 2009

kaarko wrote:

The basic problem here is that in XP the folder is called "Documents and Settings", while in Vista it's called "Documents". so this has to be edited in the project file when transferring from Vista to Xp and vice versa.
IMHO, it is not the best way to have everything in the "Documents and Settings" folder. I store translations (and Studio projects) in D:\Translations on all computers and have no problems with transferring


[Edited at 2009-08-27 22:39 GMT]


This is what I do. But the TM etc. are stored in the programm folders etc.

I'll try with the packages...

thanks

Leena


 

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:37
French to English
+ ...
My experience with Dropbox and SDL Trados Suite 2009 Dec 10, 2009

I've been experimenting this week with Dropbox as a way of working on the same files on two computers (a Lenovo desktop and a Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad laptop, both running XP Pro and SDL Trados Suite 2009). I've got it working pretty well but only after some experimentation, and I had to find out the following:

1. The directory structure (path) for My Dropbox has to be *exactly the same* on each computer. As each PC has a Preload (C:) this wasn't a problem (I have a folder called AngelaStuff on each C drive, which in turn contains My Dropbox).

I moved my TMs, termbases and AutoSuggest dictionaries to My Dropbox.

2. Trying to work on the files while Dropbox is active (i.e. constantly trying to synch files) results in funny error messages when trying to confirm segments, about "writing to a read-only database". I solved this problem by deactivating the Dropbox software while working, but I now *have* to remember to activate Dropbox at the end of every work session, otherwise my changes won't be synched.

I hope this might be helpful to someone else - I had to solve these problems alone as I couldn't find any references to any of them on the web.


 

Henry Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:37
English to Chinese
+ ...
Will Dropbox automatically update the TM? Dec 10, 2009

Hi Angela:
I am wondering if you update your translation memory or add some entries to your termbase, will dropbox detect the changes and update the TM and termbase?


Angela Dickson wrote:


I've been experimenting this week with Dropbox as a way of working on the same files on two computers (a Lenovo desktop and a Lenovo/IBM Thinkpad laptop, both running XP Pro and SDL Trados Suite 2009). I've got it working pretty well but only after some experimentation, and I had to find out the following:

1. The directory structure (path) for My Dropbox has to be *exactly the same* on each computer. As each PC has a Preload (C:) this wasn't a problem (I have a folder called AngelaStuff on each C drive, which in turn contains My Dropbox).

I moved my TMs, termbases and AutoSuggest dictionaries to My Dropbox.

2. Trying to work on the files while Dropbox is active (i.e. constantly trying to synch files) results in funny error messages when trying to confirm segments, about "writing to a read-only database". I solved this problem by deactivating the Dropbox software while working, but I now *have* to remember to activate Dropbox at the end of every work session, otherwise my changes won't be synched.

I hope this might be helpful to someone else - I had to solve these problems alone as I couldn't find any references to any of them on the web.


 

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:37
French to English
+ ...
Yes Dec 10, 2009

Henry Zhang wrote:

Hi Angela:
I am wondering if you update your translation memory or add some entries to your termbase, will dropbox detect the changes and update the TM and termbase?


In short, yes it will: Dropbox is just a folder on your hard drive, with a separate function that synchronises the folder to a cloud-based backup. So if your TMs, termbases etc are in the Dropbox folder (rather than in the default folder), they will be updated as normal and you can use them on more than one PC.

You also need to adjust the Project or Document settings so that the paths to the TM, termbase and autosuggest dictionary are correct.


 

Henry Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:37
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thanks for your answer:) Dec 10, 2009

Angela Dickson wrote:

Henry Zhang wrote:

Hi Angela:
I am wondering if you update your translation memory or add some entries to your termbase, will dropbox detect the changes and update the TM and termbase?


In short, yes it will: Dropbox is just a folder on your hard drive, with a separate function that synchronises the folder to a cloud-based backup. So if your TMs, termbases etc are in the Dropbox folder (rather than in the default folder), they will be updated as normal and you can use them on more than one PC.

You also need to adjust the Project or Document settings so that the paths to the TM, termbase and autosuggest dictionary are correct.




 

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:37
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
What about creating a package? Dec 11, 2009

Would that work? Would all the necessary files be included in the package?

 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:37
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Package Dec 11, 2009

Yes, the package will contain ALL files, including TM, termbases and AutoSuggest dictionaries.
However, you need the Professional version to create packages.
And packages are not intended for synchronizing PCs.

The really easiest way is to keep exactly the same folder structure in your PCs, then use any folder synchronization tools and then reading the missing projects by double clicking the project file (sdlproj). This inserts the particular project in Studio and makes it available on the other PC.


 

Anna Paola Farinacci
Italy
Local time: 00:37
German to Italian
+ ...
Very helpful Aug 8, 2014

Angela Dickson wrote:

2. Trying to work on the files while Dropbox is active (i.e. constantly trying to synch files) results in funny error messages when trying to confirm segments, about "writing to a read-only database". I solved this problem by deactivating the Dropbox software while working, but I now *have* to remember to activate Dropbox at the end of every work session, otherwise my changes won't be synched.


I'm using a similar program to Dropbox (its name is Copy) and I had the same problem using the termbases located on it. Thanks Angela I could finally solve this problem!

Furthermore I had problems adding new terms on termbases located on Copy (Trados was not responding and I should close it and re-open it without solving the problem).
I solved it installing the new version of Java and deleting all previous versions.
I hope this can help someone else! I'm now using Trados Studio 2011 with MultiTerm 2011 and Java 7 Update 67 (build 1.7.0_67-b01).

Best regards to all
Anna Paola


 

Richard Hill  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 17:37
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
About to install new OS on laptop. Can I give it exactly the same name as my PC? Aug 27, 2015

Hi all,

I have Windows 7 on my PC and laptop, and I'm using Dropbox to sync my Studio 2014 files, but even though I have exactly the same file paths, Studio doesn't find the TMs and TBs when I switch computers. Perhaps this is because the projects.xml file contains data regarding which computer the projects were created on. So towards the bottom of this file is "UserId=[my computer name]", which is obviously different for my PC and laptop at the moment, hence the idea of giving my laptop exactly the same name as my PC when I reinstall my OS. But I wonder if this will cause any syncing conflicts with Dropbox, and whether Dropbox will recognize that I want to sync two separate PCs.

This post is a bit old, so I hope people are still following it.

Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

Rich

[Edited at 2015-08-27 17:29 GMT]


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009: Best way to sync projects on two PCs?

Advanced search







CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search