Trados 2007: Error while converting to Word document: end tag does not have a matching start tag.
Thread poster: Stephanie Mitchel

Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:33
French to English
Aug 25, 2009

Hi. In just the last 24 hours I've upgraded to SDLTrados2007 (well, okay, to 2009 actually, but 2007 came with it and was easier to use right off the bat, and I'm on deadline) because of a new PC and OS (Vista 64), and I'm having trouble exporting my translated file back to Word, with the reason given as you see it in the subject line above.

I've already tried the fix that SDL Trados suggests, which is to replace the SDLX Trados filter (TradosFilter.dll) and restart the program, but it didn't fix the problem, so I'm turning to you folks to see if anyone has come across this or has any ideas about what else to do.

I'm also told by my client that they want unclean files back with Trados tags visible. Is this even possible from SDLTrados2007, which is basically a TagEditor environment?

Many thanks for any help you can provide within 24 hours!!

Stephanie

[Edited at 2009-08-25 14:25 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

avsie  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:33
English to French
+ ...
Verify tags Aug 25, 2009

The error message you get means that you have added a tag in the target segmet that wasn't present in the source segment, OR you forgot to add a tag in the target segment that was present in the source.

Go to Tools > Plug-ins and check the option Verifiers, along with the SDL Trados Generic Tag Verifier. Click OK.

Then, click on the toolbar icon next to the spell-check icon. The icon has a little document and a checkmark. This will run the SDL Trados Generic Tag Verifier, which will indicate the segment(s) with the missing or superflous tag(s). Correct the segment(s) as needed.

After this is done, save your document and just clean up your file as usual.

The 'unclean file with Trados tags visible' might be the bilingual TTX file, methinks.

[Edited at 2009-08-25 14:28 GMT]

United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds absolutely right - Aug 25, 2009

Thanks so much! but when I follow your advice, as soon as I click on that Verification icon, Trados starts trying to save the document, and then gets hung up (Not Responding). What should I do now?

Strike that - it was just taking a long time. However, now I see all the Verification messages at the bottom and there are many more than I have time to fix! Do you know whether code 2 is more or less serious than code 5, and can I pick and choose which ones to fix?

Stephanie

[Edited at 2009-08-25 15:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-08-25 15:35 GMT]

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
White cross in red circle Aug 25, 2009

The errors you NEED to fix are marked with white cross in a red circle. These are crucial for the recreation of the target text. In regards to the exclamation mark in yellow triangle, take the time to read them carefully. Some are more important than others, especially the order of tags.

I must say I've never paid attention to numbers, so I wouldn't know what to say about them.

May I ask how you did your translation? It almost seems like you have to fix most of the segments. Did you copy all tags from the source in your target segments when translating them? I don't want to sound rude or anything, I'm just trying to find an explanation to the large quantity of errors that you report.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Didn't you get warnings during your work? Aug 25, 2009

Usualy Tageditor gives you a warning "Tag missing", when you delete a tag during your work. You can of course always say "OK", but you should do so only if you indeed wanted to remove or add or move tags.
Otherwise the answer MUST be NO! And you have to check tags before closing segment.
Of course it is possible to switch this message off, but I wouldn't recommend doing so even if someoe is expert in using Trados.
Marie-Claude has already explained it to you: red dots with white cross must (or at least should) be fixed.
You can double click the error message and Tageditor will take you to the place in document, where the error is reported.

United States
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Aha. Aug 25, 2009

I was accustomed to the 6.5.2 version of TagEditor which doesn't penalize for removing tags in the target version, so I removed tag protection so that I could work faster (all those tags make it feel like I'm working in between the slats of a fence). My bad.

Now. I guess I will try to find a workaround that doesn't make me pull all my hair out - something like printing out the translation and starting over.

Meanwhile, I have (of course) another question which I'm about to post since I can't find it in the Forum or the Knowledge Base.

Many thanks for your help.
Stephanie

Emma Gledhill
German to English
+ ...
Bumping an old thread Jul 28, 2011

I have today encountered this error for the very first time (Trados 2007 Suite). In the past I have never had any problems saving the target of a file with the tag order changed or tags deleted. Today I have a file of 44k words that the client has instructed needs bilingual sections requiring the addition of a break tag and italics tags so removing them all is not an option without retranslating huge chunks of the file for which the schedule is far too tight. Yet the file will not save the target. Any bright ideas?

[Modifié le 2011-07-28 11:21 GMT]

Update: I did in fact find some missing tags so this post is probably obsolete

[Modifié le 2011-07-28 14:56 GMT]

Pierrick LE GOFF  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Thanks! Sep 13, 2011

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

The error message you get means that you have added a tag in the target segmet that wasn't present in the source segment, OR you forgot to add a tag in the target segment that was present in the source.

Go to Tools > Plug-ins and check the option Verifiers, along with the SDL Trados Generic Tag Verifier. Click OK.

Then, click on the toolbar icon next to the spell-check icon. The icon has a little document and a checkmark. This will run the SDL Trados Generic Tag Verifier, which will indicate the segment(s) with the missing or superflous tag(s). Correct the segment(s) as needed.

After this is done, save your document and just clean up your file as usual.

The 'unclean file with Trados tags visible' might be the bilingual TTX file, methinks.

[Edited at 2009-08-25 14:28 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007: Error while converting to Word document: end tag does not have a matching start tag.

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search