Thread poster: Maiko Hata

Maiko Hata
United States
Local time: 00:45
English to Japanese
+ ...
Aug 27, 2009

Hello colleagues,

Hope you all are having a nice afternoon. I was wondering if someone might be kind enough to help me out with an issue I've been having with SDLX paint format. I have SDLX 2007, and it works fine otherwise - it just doesn't copy the format that is at the end of the source segment when I try to copy it to the middle of target segment

When the source text has format paint including the last comma, I cannot copy the format paint to the corresponding target word in the middle of the target sentence without highlighting the word itself AND the rest of the sentence.

So, for example, if the source says "Come join us." and the format paint highlights "us." in English. I translate the segment into Japanese (target) as "A B C.", while "B" corresponds to the "us".

Somehow it seems impossible (after many, many attempts) to copy the format paint to just "B" - it highlights the entire "B C.".

I tried 'deleting' the format by pressing ALT while highlighting the source - it just deletes the entire format, not just on the "C" part. I tried copying the source with the format - can't type after the highlighted area without being highlighted. I tried pressing ALT while choosing "B" - it still highlights the whole "B C".

I would appreciate it very, very much if someone could point me to the right direction. Thank you very much for your help in advance, and have a happy Thursday

Maiko

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 09:45
English to Czech
+ ...
Display tags instead of format paint Aug 27, 2009

Hi Maiko,
have you tried displaying tags instead of format paint? To do so, click "View > Tags" and in the "Display tags..." dialog box select the "Short Tags" or "Long tags" radio button. This should give you more freedom to play with formatting.

Maiko Hata
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Now no tags are displayed! Aug 27, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi Maiko,
have you tried displaying tags instead of format paint? To do so, click "View > Tags" and in the "Display tags..." dialog box select the "Short Tags" or "Long tags" radio button. This should give you more freedom to play with formatting.

Thank you very much, Stanislav-san,

I tried it before - I tried it again to see if I can, but now the source segments don't show ANY tags. It just shows plain texts. I just don't understand! Is it my software/PC then, I wonder? I do use Vista, but I got the patch and everything.

If you could let me know there's anything else I should be trying, that would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time!

Maiko

Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Hope this helps Aug 27, 2009

Hi Maiko,

Try this:

1. Select "Format Paint Mode" in the Format Paint Menu.
2. In your example, click on "us" in the source text to select it.
3. Now select the Japanese word for "us" in the target text, e.g., by pressing and holding the left mouse button while moving the cursor over the word "us".

Best,

Christa

Maiko Hata
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That doesn't seem to work either :-( Aug 27, 2009

Translation-Pro wrote:

Hi Maiko,

Try this:

3. Now select the Japanese word for "us" in the target text, e.g., by pressing and holding the left mouse button while moving the cursor over the word "us".

Best,

Christa

Thank you Ms. Pro,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Unfortunately, it doesn't work...

I think when the format paint covers the end of the source segment, it thinks that it needs to end the target segment with the same format (even when I don't want to!).

Agh.

Maiko

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Use Trados TagEditor Aug 28, 2009

Hi Maiko,
if I were you, i.e. if I experienced this kind of issues and nothing worked, I would use Trados TagEditor for this job. Try to open the ITDs in TagEditor and export them back into ITD once you are finished.

Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Works for me in the situation you described Aug 28, 2009

Hi Maiko,

This is not an SDLX problem. You can do this kind of format paint with SDLX. Too bad the solution I suggested doesn't work for you.

Best,

Christa

Maiko Hata wrote:

Translation-Pro wrote:

Hi Maiko,

Try this:

Best,

Christa

Thank you Ms. Pro,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Unfortunately, it doesn't work...

I think when the format paint covers the end of the source segment, it thinks that it needs to end the target segment with the same format (even when I don't want to!).

Agh.

Maiko

Maiko Hata
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 28, 2009

Thank you, Ms. Pro,

I wonder what it is... there's a couple other things that are kind of weird that makes me think it might be indeed my PC.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX 2007 format paint issue

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search