cannot open .rtf file using tageditor
Thread poster: MJ Barber

MJ Barber  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 29, 2009

Hi all - I see a similar problem was posted in 2005, but the solutions offered there didn't work.

A client has sent me a file in .ttx and .rtf, to be translated using tagEditor. From the .rtf file I can see it is mostly text, but with some tables and other markups (highlighting, footnotes etc.).

When I try to translate the .ttx file, I keep getting the "filter not found" message. I think this may be because my client uses 6.5, while I have 7.0. It is very annoying, pops up between each segment, and what's more doesn't allow me to save the bilingual file.

So, I tried to use tagEditor to open the .rtf file. My computer crashes each time. I have activated TradosTag XML workflow for workbench RTF files, as suggested here in 2005; uninstalled and reinstalled the Arial fonts, as suggested at translatum; and even, in a moment of, I thought, inspiration, checked to see was change tracking on (it was) and turned it off.

I am nearly afraid to try anything else now. I know for sure that if I try to open it in .doc I will have the same problem. I have had to reboot my computer so many times today that I am afraid I have done it permanent harm, and I have 7000 words for Monday.

Looks like I am going to have a fun weekend.

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
tried to save it as a doc? Aug 29, 2009

Hello MJ,

ttx created in a different Trados version do cause troubles and the fact that you can't save the sent ttx is a clear evidence.

hmm, I haven't much of a brilliant solution to offer you, I am afraid, but have you tried to save a copy of the file as a *.doc?

(I open (import) only *.doc files into TagEditor, as the text of imported *.rtf files is shown in a big bulk with few tags, I simply lose the overview so to say.)

Alternative: translate the received *.rtf file in MSWord (if you were asked to translate in TagEditor, well, there might be a 100%/fuzzy match mismatching, but at least you can work)

Giuliana

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yeah, tried that Aug 29, 2009

Thanks Giuliana, I reluctantly tried that. The good news: no crash; the bad: error message 80003: TagEditor is unable to open this document because the file type is not recognised.

Helen Matthews  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:41
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
create your own ttx file? Aug 29, 2009

just a quick suggestion as I'm no expert, I'm afraid, but how about simply creating your own ttx file (even by simply dragging the rtf file icon into tag editor...?

hope you find a solution!

all the best,
Helen

Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
hhhmmm, SP1 installed? Aug 29, 2009

hello again,

this is my last shot: have you installed SP1? I have tried to retrieve an old answer 665 from the talisma database, but didn't manage. It seems that after installing the SP1 the problem is solved (sorry, can't be sure, I use more recent Trados versions). I presume you haven't upgraded your MSOffice package recently.. after having installed Trados...? Apart from this, I can't think of anything else but running a (Trados) "repair"... I vaguely remember a similar problem with PPTs (in my case with SDL Trados 2006) for apparently no reason, I was a little more drastic, I de-installed Trados & MSOffice and re-installed MSOffice & Trados in this order....

I am sorry you are going thru a "fun" weekend...

Giuliana

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Giuliana (and Helen) Aug 29, 2009

You are being very good, but I am afraid I don't know what SP1 is.

Turns out I am wrong about my Trados version, it is actually 8.0, cost me a fortune, buggy as all get out and no tech support. hey ho.

Helen, I am sorry but I don't understand what you say about dragging things into tageditor. Could you explain step by step as if speaking to a particularly slow child?

Thanks to both.
MJ

(ps: I am doing it with workbench, they'll have the memory if they want to run it through ttx, I am flying through it (patient informed consent forms R us), weekend not a total disaster

[Edited at 2009-08-29 16:45 GMT]

Helen Matthews  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:41
Member (2008)
Italian to English
+ ...
dragging into ttx Aug 29, 2009

you've probably already tried my highly un-technical solution, but here goes!:

open workbench and the memory you are using
open tag editor
literally drag the original rtf file you wish to translate into the tag editor window - this just creates a ttx file from the rtf....

Might be an idea to make sure you've got a copy of the original before doing this though, as (if it works) when you clean up the ttx, you'll lose your original text...

glad to hear weekend's not a total write-off!!

Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Forget SP1 (mentioned that as you said T 7.0) Aug 29, 2009

Hello MJ,

yep, TWB+MSWord makes sense when time is an issue

Giuliana

PS once you are done with this job and in case you have Suite (SDL Trados 2007 Suite) make sure you have the latest version installed (you can down load it from "My downloads" in your SDL account). I had to de-install it at the beginning and go back to the simple freelance version until a new build was released, which swept all hiccups.

Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 23:41
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
open in WordPad and re-save Aug 29, 2009

should work

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

cannot open .rtf file using tageditor

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search