Thread poster: irishpolyglot
irishpolyglot
irishpolyglot
Ireland
Local time: 03:38
French to English
+ ...
Sep 1, 2009

This project (originally a PDF) has 141,000 words and it took a while to process it at first, but I am in Trados Studio 2009 and was translating fine. I got through about 2% of the document. Now every time I try to simply enter text the application completely freezes up; I tried waiting a few minutes etc. but all that I can do is CTRL+ALT+DEL to kill the program and open again. Then when back in the project again, either on the same segment or a few segments later the same thing will happen. I k... See more
This project (originally a PDF) has 141,000 words and it took a while to process it at first, but I am in Trados Studio 2009 and was translating fine. I got through about 2% of the document. Now every time I try to simply enter text the application completely freezes up; I tried waiting a few minutes etc. but all that I can do is CTRL+ALT+DEL to kill the program and open again. Then when back in the project again, either on the same segment or a few segments later the same thing will happen. I killed all other applications through Windows Task Manager to make sure Trados has all the RAM it can get, but it makes no difference.

This is horrible and I need a way around this!! The original file was a PDF. I'm currently trying to find a program that will split the PDF so I can work on parts of it separately, but surely there has to be a better way? ABBYY completely messes this file up so I'd rather convert it that way only as a last resort.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated
Collapse

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:38
English to French
+ ...
Acrobat Sep 1, 2009

Adobe Acrobat Pro

Document -> Extract Pages

irishpolyglot
irishpolyglot
Ireland
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good workaround, but no solution? Sep 1, 2009

Thanks! I'm working on smaller versions of the huge PDF instead . Should I always do this with large projects? I wasn't aware that Trados had a limit until now...

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
CTRL+AL+DEL Sep 1, 2009

after that, click on the Performance tab
is the green bar over the middle?
i.e. the CPU use over 50%
let me know

as you mention Abbyy, I suppose that you tried to convert the PDF to MS word, true?
OCR tasks need alway a LOT of manual job to have a good work-file ...

furthermore, failing to unearth some "Trados sniper tags" is even possible and they freeze every Trados version
... See more
after that, click on the Performance tab
is the green bar over the middle?
i.e. the CPU use over 50%
let me know

as you mention Abbyy, I suppose that you tried to convert the PDF to MS word, true?
OCR tasks need alway a LOT of manual job to have a good work-file ...

furthermore, failing to unearth some "Trados sniper tags" is even possible and they freeze every Trados version

anyway, if you'll be finally able to have a good MS Word, follow this thread of mine
http://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/144115-splitting_and_re_joining_large_ms_word_files.html

as Trados freezes even on huge MS Word files ....
and note that I have a dual core high-speed processor with 3 GB RAM and no swap file at all ...

hope it helps

Claudio
Collapse

irishpolyglot
irishpolyglot
Ireland
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
100% CPU usage Sep 1, 2009

Thanks Claudio,
the CPU usage was at 100% according to the green indicator. I've also got a powerful system...
This is the first time I've had just one file for a large project (usually my large projects are spread over files), so I was unaware that this expensive software crashes when working on a measly 10MB PDF file...
Anyway it's working now since I split the file up! So this is normal for Trados?? Noted for next time...

PMz
PMz
File content size Sep 1, 2009

irishpolyglot wrote:

Thanks Claudio,
the CPU usage was at 100% according to the green indicator. I've also got a powerful system...
This is the first time I've had just one file for a large project (usually my large projects are spread over files), so I was unaware that this expensive software crashes when working on a measly 10MB PDF file...
Anyway it's working now since I split the file up! So this is normal for Trados?? Noted for next time...

Regarding the size of PDF file - it's actually not saying anything about size of the file content. Just imagine the difference between one PDF file which contains 1 page of the text and rest are images. And the second file is 10 MB of the text, no images at all.
In first case, the Studio extracts just this one page of the text - no problems at all.
But in second case, we are talking about 10MB of compressed text - can you tell us how many segments you had in your original file?

Of course ideal will be to have a feature in the Studio where I can specify how many words/segments file can contain and automatically split the file into several smaller files and translated them file by file.

Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2009 freezing on large project

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »