Notes on Trados Studio 2009 Installation when upgrading from Trados 2006
Thread poster: Jonathan von Zelowitz

Jonathan von Zelowitz  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:31
French to English
Sep 2, 2009

For what it's worth, here are a few notes related to my recent upgrade from Trados 2006 to Trados Studio 2009, to supplement the vast amount of existing information in HTML, PDF, Flash, forums, FAQs, KB, etc…

I hope that my perspective, as a former software engineer, will make these notes valuable for someone. In view of the time and effort I spent on this upgrade, I can sympathize with those of you who do not have the advantage of my background, and who have approached this same challenge!

Before starting, I made a backup of my normal.dot file for Word. (For its location, see, for example, Microsoft KB826839.)

I also exported (using the “Package” function) my existing MultiTerm Termbases and burned them on a backup CD before starting the installation procedure.

Finally, I wrote down my options settings (e.g. TM options such as minimum match) to avoid losing them during the installation.

Allow at least a full day to perform your migration. Then you can be pleasantly surprised when it takes less time than expected. I did it over a weekend to avoid stressing over conflicts with jobs.

Here is the sequence of operations I followed:
- perform backups (see above)
- unregister Trados 2006 license (online)
- uninstall Trados 2006 and MultiTerm 7 (Windows Control Panel)
- install Trados Studio 2007
- install Trados Studio 2009
- install MultiTerm 2009
- register all 3 licenses
- install hotfix KB2754 (multiple fixes for Studio 2009)
- install KB2765 (SDLX 2007 update for MultiTerm compatibility) (Note: The first time I downloaded it, I did not get the whole file! Check that your file size is about 61 MB.)
- use Microsoft Update site (I am running XP) to install operating system updates, in particular for the MS .NET Framework

The Flash presentation on the SDL online license management page seems to indicate that I should use the License Manager application to return my Trados 2006 license. This is not the case. (That procedure only applies to 2007 licenses.) In fact, by clicking on the obvious places on the webpage, I was able to “return” my 2006 license and thereby proceed with the activation of the 3 new licenses for Trados Studio 2009. By the way, the “new” activation process worked perfectly for me in all respects, bravo.

I learned the hard way that the Trados Studio 2009 installer requires Internet connectivity (in order to download the .NET framework). (This reduces the size of the installer, but has its own disadvantages.) So keep your Internet connection on during the install.

SDL’s resolution (SDL Knowledge Base, article 2491) of the “0x8000FFFF Catastrophic failure” error, which I encountered during SDLX 2007 installation, is too specific. The KB article states that there is a rare conflict “with Bluetooth software”. In fact, any other software running at the same time as the installer can also cause the same conflict, as it did in my case. My solution was to close everything that was running in the system tray (right-click, and then select Close or equivalent), such as HP Digital Imaging Monitor, Winamp Agent and Break Reminder. I did not spend any time to figure out which one was causing the conflict.

The downloadable installer for Trados 2007 Suite (8.3.863) already corresponds to SP3; therefore, you do not need to apply the previous Service Packs for Trados 2007, even though one was provided in my SDL downloads area.

During MultiTerm 2009 installation, the installer did not find and convert my old Termbases as expected (see SDL Knowledge Base article 2572). Luckily, I had exported them (see above). Performing an Open in MultiTerm automatically converted them, and everything appears to be working, including within SDLX 2007 (see above for compatibility fix).

The various installers automatically create multiple folders in My Documents (Passolo 2007, SDL, SDL Trados). This is obnoxious. They should ask the user to select the folders’ names and locations, thus allowing me to manage and consolidate them. Perhaps I missed an “advanced” option that allows this; in any case, it should be a part of the standard install, not an advanced one.

I suspect that there is a subtle bug with respect to the assignment of the .ttx file extension to TagEditor. I had to go to the Windows Explorer > Folder Options > File Types tab, and then Browse to find the current TagEditor application before it worked properly. I bet it was initially pointing to the old (uninstalled) app.

I currently have 4 versions of Java on my system, a new world record. I suspect that at least one is superfluous. I have not tried to remove any of them yet.

Following this installation process, consider defragmenting your disk.

I have now tested Trados Studio 2007 and SDLX 2007, along with MultiTerm 2009, to provide myself with an initial functionality level so that I can get back to work. I will soon start playing with Trados Studio 2009 in order to get familiar with it, with the goal of being productive around the time SP1 is released.

Good luck to everyone!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-09-02 10:51 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:31
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, this is a really important point Sep 2, 2009

Jonathan von Zelowitz wrote:

Following this installation process, consider defragmenting your disk.

Since Studio generally ends up, after installation, in about 2000 fragments or more, it really cannot be expected to work until you have carried out a defragmentation.

[Edited at 2009-09-02 10:55 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Notes on Trados Studio 2009 Installation when upgrading from Trados 2006

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search