Umlauts not exported for Java files from Trados Studio 2009 - any suggestions urgently welcome
Thread poster: Birgit Gläser
Birgit Gläser
Germany
Local time: 03:01
English to German
+ ...
Sep 2, 2009

Dear colleagues,

Has any one had problems with umlauts in Java files and has a quick suggestion to fix this problem?

Here an example "ConfirmAuthorisation=Best\u00E4tigung Autorisierung"

We are under very severe time constraints and must dump as much German into the system and have about 1.500 language files, so any manual checking is out of the question. Also we have to dump the files in several times as we check how they are actually output in the screens.

I logged a case with SDL, but apparently their office hours were just over. So any suggestion in the course of the next couple of hours would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

[Edited at 2009-09-02 20:20 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Batch search and replace? Sep 3, 2009

Birgit, I might be stupid (in any case, I am not Java-savvy), but isn't this the way they are displayed in these files anyway and once the applet is run, they will display just fine?

And even if not:
It should be feasible to get all those 1500 files imported into an application that can load them and perform a search and replace action on the whole batch. There are not too many Umlauts, so that should be a matter of minutes.
I suppose Deja Vu X can do this. Contact me in private if you need me to try this.

PMz
Escaped unicode Sep 3, 2009

Birgit Gläser wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Has any one had problems with umlauts in Java files and has a quick suggestion to fix this problem?

We are under very severe time constraints and must dump as much German into the system and have about 1.500 language files, so any manual checking is out of the question. Also we have to dump the files in several times as we check how they are actually output in the screens.

I logged a case with SDL, but apparently their office hours were just over. So any suggestion in the course of the next couple of hours would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

[Edited at 2009-09-02 20:20 GMT]

Hi,
what you got is called "escaped unicode" and basically it's only way how to save the extended characters properly. This is correct result and Java will handle it properly - don't worry.

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Standard Java encoding Sep 3, 2009

Birgit Gläser wrote:

As Proz no longer displays backslash typed in a human way, use the entity "ampersand hash 92 semicolon" instead (without spaces).

It's perfectly normal, don't worry.
You're on the secure side, the \u00E4-like entities will be decoded and displayed correctly by the Java application.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-09-03 06:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-09-03 06:08 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
DVX Sep 3, 2009

Wolfgang Jörissen wrote:

Birgit, I might be stupid (in any case, I am not Java-savvy), but isn't this the way they are displayed in these files anyway and once the applet is run, they will display just fine?

Yes, they will be displayed correctly.

And even if not:
It should be feasible to get all those 1500 files imported into an application that can load them and perform a search and replace action on the whole batch. There are not too many Umlauts, so that should be a matter of minutes.

Every advanced search and replace tool will do it in a breeze.
E.g. Search&Replace, BK Replace em etc.

I suppose Deja Vu X can do this.

The global search and replace operations in DVX may be too slow because of the GUI, a simple S&R tool will be faster.
BTW, I already used DVX as a perverse code page converter

Contact me in private if you need me to try this.

AFAIR in DVX you can export diacritics as letters or as entities, as you like.

Cheers
GG

Birgit Gläser
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Apparently you are all right! Thank you for your input and making my day! Sep 3, 2009

Everyone,

Thank you for your replies. Apparently you are completely right. Sometime around midnight UK time my "Main" suddenly changed into "Hauptmenü" and I did not know then that my colleague, who had raised the issue, had not yet dumped his edited files into the system. So this must have come from the original Trados export files.

He hast 20+ years technical experience, but mostly on the iSeries where we have now added Java components... I am only responsible for the language part, not the technical part and I have to admit I am a mere "user".

All I can say, the world looks a lot brighter again this morning.

Again Thank you for your input - otherwise I would have had to follow up with Trados this morning.... but now back to the grindstone.

The best to all of you

Birgit

PS: @Wolfgang: Looks like I am the stupid one. The thought had crossed my mind, but when someone with decades of technical experience tells you something is wrong, I tend to believe them in absence of deepter technical knowledge....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Umlauts not exported for Java files from Trados Studio 2009 - any suggestions urgently welcome

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search