Understanding analysis results in Translator's Toolbench
Thread poster: FC l
Sep 3, 2009

Hi there,

I am new to using SDL Trados 2007. I created a translation memory by aligning previously translated text and ran analysis on a batch of untranslated texts against the content of the tm. I am unclear about the meaning of the 'repetitions' result. 5, 236 or 9% of my 30,470 segments are 'repetitions'. Does this mean that 9% of the segments in the untranslated text appear more than once in that same text? Also does this figure have any impact on the fuzzy match percentages?

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Birgit Gläser
Germany
Local time: 09:32
English to German
+ ...
Repetitions are 100% matches Sep 3, 2009

The Trados analysis will give you the breakdown for 100 % matches = what you already have in your TM, fuzzy matches in the various ranges = where you have something you can build on and untranslated text. The repetitions are basically on top of all this and refer to 100 % matches in the text. They may be repetitions of 100 % or fuzzy matches you already have in your TM or repetitions of untranslated text.

In other words, once you work on the text, the repititions will come up as 100% matches in the translation process.

Some translators use the analysis for billing purposes, like untranslated full price, 75-99 % half price and 100 % or repetitions quarter price.

The breakdown to words/segments/percent should help you to assess how long it is going to take you to translate the text. So if you have an easy text of 10 pages, the draft will probably take 4-5 hours, but if you have 25 % repetitions, you can shave 25 % of the presumably required time.

As I am doing in-house translations, I usually look at the number of pages and the analysis and tell my "client" what day/time he/she will get it and how much they will owe me if I have to do a night shift

Speaking of this I've got to get cracking and my boss will owe me big-time, but I received great help today myself this morning, so I felt I had to give something back despite the time pressure.

Hope this helps

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:32
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
p. 270 TRANSLATOR’S WORKBENCH USER GUIDE :) Sep 3, 2009

That should help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Understanding analysis results in Translator's Toolbench

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search