Questions re Trados Studio 2009 on 2 PCs / backward compatibility
Thread poster: TTilch

TTilch  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:34
English to German
+ ...
Sep 4, 2009

Hello,

I am thinking of upgrading but some explanations are not clear to me.

On Trados' web site it says:
1. "If you would like the convenience of activating SDL Trados Studio 2009 on 2
PCs, such as a desktop and a laptop, then why not consider our SDL Trados
Studio 2009 Plus version?" and "All upgrades will be to the new SDL Trados
Studio 2009 Plus. This gives you the convenience of an extra activation
allowing you to work on 2 PCs simultaneously."

- Does this mean that it is now possible to install the product on 2 PCs simultaneously and that you can work with them parallely (also if the two PCs are part of a network to access on a common storage location - the way it was possible before the introduction of LIC files/activation codes using the dongles?). In recent years, this was no longer possible, which makes an office community of 2 - 3 translators working on different projects but sharing some common data impossible - and professional licenses are much more expensive and we do not even need the possibility to write into the same TM.

2. "Notes for people who are upgrading
Everybody who upgrades to SDL Trados Studio 2009 will also receive a
permanent license of SDL Trados 2007 Suite. Both products can be installed
in parallel. Please be aware you will need to de-activate your previous
software license before receiving your new licenses. If you would like to
continue working with versions older than SDL Trados 2007 Suite, please
consider purchasing a full new license."

- So what exactly do they want to tell me with you have to de-activate your previous license? Does this mean that it is not possible to work with the older version "SDL Trados
2006" once you have received the new activation code as it does not accept the new license file/activation code? What do I do if the client still wants me to use an older version such als SDL Trados 2006 or 6.5 with LIC file/activation code?

Do you have any experience to offer regarding these questions?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Tanja

Direct link Reply with quote

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Replies Sep 4, 2009

Hi Tanja,
here are my replies. Please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong:

1. AFAIK, you can run two instances of Studio on two different computers now, even if they are connected into one and the same network. However, this limitation still holds true for previous Trados versions.

2. Once you have upgraded, you will have to return your T2006 license before you can activate the T2007 license. If you don't want to use T2006, you can use T2006 as long as you wish.

Allow me one question though: why would your client want you to work in an obsolete version? Moreover, there are only some functional improvements in T2007, the file formats should be fully compatible.

TTilch  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
RE: Questions re Trados Studio 2009 on 2 PCs / backward compatibility Sep 4, 2009

Hi Stanislav,

Thank you for your replies.

1. AFAIK, you can run two instances of Studio on two different computers now, even if they are connected into one and the same network. However, this limitation still holds true for previous Trados versions.

I had another talk with a SDL Trados representative today and I get different answers every time... This representative said that two Rreelance versions would not run together in a networked environment, only one at a time (like before). Two days ago I was told that it is possible... that's why actual practical experience would be preferred.

2. Once you have upgraded, you will have to return your T2006 license before you can activate the T2007 license. If you don't want to use T2006, you can use T2006 as long as you wish.

It seems to be still possible to use older versions such as 6.5 and 2006 with LIC files; only older 2007 versions/builds cannot be run any longer, though, just the latest one, which is ok. (at least that's what I was told today)

Allow me one question though: why would your client want you to work in an obsolete version? Moreover, there are only some functional improvements in T2007, the file formats should be fully compatible.

Many clients request to use a particular version of Trados and/or Word for their projects. Apparently they sometimes have problems with the file formats although there should not be any. This happened to us, too. While one TTX file could be edited in both versions without any problems, proper cleanup only worked with one particular version. Perhaps this is due to ini files etc. they have specifically created/implemented. Fact is, depending on the project I usually need all versions and have to switch back and forth according to the client's needs (from 6.5 up to 2007 and soon 2009). Many clients want bilingual files delivered (to update their own TMs).

Best regards,

Tanja

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
studio 2009 plus works on 2 computers / ttx files in studio Sep 5, 2009

Hi Tanja,
I've got studio 2009 plus and work on 2 computers on one LAN at the same time without any problems.

I don't know much about backward compatibility before 2007, but can confirm that I work with several clients who insist on bilingual files being delivered and they don't have Studio. so I convert into ttx with TagEditor (in Suite 2007) and then open ttx in Studio. Studio will save in ttx but can't convert into it from other formats (this is a nuisance and I hope it will be solved soon.)
You can vote for this idea at sdl's ideas page:
http://ideas.sdltrados.com/ideas/detail.asp?i=2243

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questions re Trados Studio 2009 on 2 PCs / backward compatibility

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search