Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
SDL Trados Suite 2009 Usefulness
Thread poster: robertorod

robertorod
English to Spanish
Sep 6, 2009

I am thinking of purchasing SDL Trados Suite but before taking any decision I would like to get some feedback from those using it.
Can anybody that has it tell me its advantages and drawbacks? Does it take a long time to get exact translations or do I have to add a lot of content (pairs) in the memory before getting some good results ? Do I have to make many corrections? I really want to know if it is worth investing what they ask for it, at least in the long term if not in the short.
Thank you in advance to anyone taking care of my post.

Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:18
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Depends on your working style Sep 6, 2009

I am thinking of purchasing SDL Trados Suite but before taking any decision I would like to get some feedback from those using it.

Can anybody that has it tell me its advantages and drawbacks?
Advantages:
*Autosuggest is a great improvement over the term recognition in T2007
*Ability to generate termbases from TMs (In T2007 you needed to pay extra for Multiterm Extract in order to be able to do this)
Drawbacks:
*Significantly slower than T2007 on my setup (Vista, 4 GB RAM, 2,66 Ghz)
*Frequent crashes (15-60 min on average, depending on what kind of files I am working on)
*Not fully developed yet - you need to visit this forum frequently to find workarounds for the problems

Does it take a long time to get exact translations or do I have to add a lot of content (pairs) in the memory before getting some good results ?
You need 25000 segments for generating an Autosuggest dictionary. If you have fewer, you need to buy Multiterm Extract (or adding "fake" segments in order to reach the limit).

Do I have to make many corrections?
If your question is about post-edition of termbases, this was necessary in T2007 but is not necessary any longer due to the way Autosuggest work: When inserting terms in your translation, in T2007 you had to scroll through all the terms in a segment sequentially. T2009 lets you trigger a term by pressing the first letter, giving it a much higher fault tolerance for errant terms.
If your question is of a more general nature: As with all CAT, it mostly depends on the similarity between legacy translations and your current translation.

I really want to know if it is worth investing what they ask for it, at least in the long term if not in the short.
It depends on your working style. If you work a lot with termbases (like me), it's probably the best CAT on the market due to Autosuggest. For me it was worth paying appr. 200 EUR for an upgrade from T2007, even when taking the drawbacks into account.

[Edited at 2009-09-06 18:09 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-09-06 18:10 GMT]

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 14:18
English to Portuguese
Pretty useful 20% increase in productivity... Sep 6, 2009

Hi

All those questions depend on a lot of factors, but for me Studio 2009 has already paid itself: I am working on a project with 530 XML files of a manual, about 145,000 words total, 94,000 of them no-matches up to 84%.

With Suite Freelance 2007 I used to turn out about 2,000/2,500 words no match per day. After getting used to Studio interface, using a rather big memory, I was really impressed when I started to deliver, consistently, about 3,000 words no-match per day, minimum.

Of course this varies tremendously, since in my present job I am using large memories (so the auto-suggest dictionary is plenty of terms etc.), the machine is up to date and rather powerful, I am experienced with Trados etc., but I feel much better having all info needed right in from of me. Not to mention that Studio has a much more "easy on the eyes" interface than that of Tag Editor.

Getting 20% more for my work is pretty useful...icon_smile.gif

Regds

Edric

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 19:18
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
A comparison of various CAT tools Sep 7, 2009

An interesting topic, if you are planning to spend hundreds of dollars read this first http://www.proz.com/topic/144580

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Disclaimer :) Sep 7, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

An interesting topic, if you are planning to spend hundreds of dollars read this first http://www.proz.com/topic/144580

Huh.
My test was rather amateurish, not very extensive i.e. only one file type (XLS) and only one file (although a bad one, the little "good" ones give always good results for any kind of crapware).
But it reflects well my thoughts about the kind of problems you may have in Studio, i.e. it's sloooow and crashes too frequently.

As a brute force attack, the test shows only one aspect of the "machine" performance, the usabiilty is another problem.
E.g. IMHO, the best quality/price ratio CAT now is tool MemoQ (at least because it's on sales nowicon_smile.gif see http://www.proz.com/tgb/256) although it was not so rapid in my test.

As Bjørnar said, it depends on your working style.
If you don't like the manner a CAT works, you'll waste your money.
Just test 'em.

BTW.
My preferred one is DVX, I use it mainly in mixed Trados-DVX-Trados workflows.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-09-07 13:17 GMT]

robertorod
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
No trial hides something? Sep 7, 2009

Well after reading all the above comments and analyzing how SDL Trados offer their product, I have come to the conclusion that their product is not reliable.
For a company not to offer a 30 day trial of the full product (as DJV company does), it should be because they should be trying to hide defects only to be discovered after you have given them the money. I was surprised to get the following answer from a sales person from Trados when I told her that in the Forums there were many complaints: "You will always find people that have problems in the forums". This does not justify anything.
I have not doubt that, in spite of the few here that say that SDL Trados Suite has some
useful functions, the number of crashes mentioned by all the users and other problems tells me that this company has launched a defective program that is not worth even U$S 100.00.
I am now trying DJV X Professional, that offers me the chance to test the program with a 30 day demo.
My best wishes to all those that answered and thank you again for all the advice and opinion

[Edited at 2009-09-07 18:35 GMT]

Valerie35 (X)
German to English
Honestly ... Sep 7, 2009

I'm frankly surprised that anyone is still using Trados.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Have you checked the trial? Is it not fully functional? Sep 7, 2009

As for the trouble reports and fora: this is the nature of the things. Satisfied user do not go to any fora an post hurray, but simply use the product. If you have trouble and are used to use Internet, so you are likely to post or ask for help. What is true for software here, is also true for cars for example elswhere.
So indeed you will always find people complaining in fora.
What is quite certain, Studio in its current version has some problems. But despite those problems the program is much better than its predecessor. And please stay assured, the new development brings a lot of improvements.

robertorod
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Where is the trial download Sep 7, 2009

I would be glad to download a trial if available. The funny thing about SDL company is that they have a download page, and they seem to be pulling your leg by making you download a video for a demoicon_smile.gif
At their download page there is no real demo software to download or trial available. Unless I missed something ?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I really thought this link is known Sep 7, 2009

http://www.lspzone.com/en/Downloads/sdl-trados-studio-2009-demo.asp

Or is this what you are reffering to as video?

robertorod
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Only Demo I see Sep 7, 2009

Yes, that's the only demo I see. A video. Not a program to download and try on your computer.If you happen to find a real software to download, I'll be greatly thankful to you.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
That's a pity Sep 7, 2009

Indeed - and this is really a pityicon_frown.gif

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 19:18
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Comparing Trados with Trados Sep 7, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

But despite those problems the program is much better than its predecessor.

New Trados maybe better than the older one. Well done SDL! But, is the new Trados better than other CAT tools?

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Customer protection program :) Sep 8, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Indeed - and this is really a pityicon_frown.gif

SDL made the Trados demo unavailable to the public starting from very early builds of Trados 2007 (AFAIR the last one was 8.0.820 or 8.0.822 (spring 2007).

As I often say, it's a customer protection program, a prospect who installs it may vomit on the screen, srslyicon_smile.gif

In the meantime, the direct download links and tips for downloading were published several time on the Web but it was informal.
Now. the direct downloads are password protected AFAIK.

Cheers
GG

T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
I would not say that for Proz fora... Sep 8, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

...Satisfied user do not go to any fora an post hurray, but simply use the product.

What is quite certain, Studio in its current version has some problems. But despite those problems the program is much better than its predecessor. And please stay assured, the new development brings a lot of improvements.

I wouldn't say that only unsatisfied users write on the fora...
The SDL Trados Support fora report a lot of hurray for SDL and Trados.
Just as an example - I remember people posting virulent invectives vs SDL about the "1 year licence policy" and the day after offering their sincere congratulations for the "SDL about-turn"...
And, personally I had to complain with colleagues offering complicate workaround instead of joining the one louder voice aimed to ask SDL real solutions (...probably Claudia A. is still hating me about thaticon_cry.gif, Once again, sorry Claudia!)

So it's not about the presence/absence of Trados fans here on the fora, because honestly, there is a big presence of them, me first!!
...The matter is not about whether SDL is complained here or not, but it's about what is actually complained here that reflects the real value of SDL Studio today...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Suite 2009 Usefulness

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search