International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Translating XML files in Trados
Thread poster: Monica Berntsson

Monica Berntsson
Sweden
Local time: 13:29
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 6, 2009

I have translated XML files in Tageditor. The client can't open them and I don't know what, if anything, I do wrong. I then received files from the client saved as UTF-8 which I ran through Trados, but they still can't open them. I can only open the files in Trados or notepad. Then I received an .ini file but it still does not work. Does anyone have an idea?

Direct link Reply with quote

Monica Berntsson
Sweden
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Correction Sep 6, 2009

I see now that the files I have translated have been converted to TTX files which the client can't open. I now tried to open the original XML files but I can't open them. A message appears: This document contains the unknown DOCTYPE declaration/root element "data". A tag settings file has not yet been defined for this document type. Would you like to specify the settings file now?

I thought this was the .ini file the client sent. I have no clue what the problem is.

[Edited at 2009-09-07 01:31 GMT]

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Hi Monica, Sep 7, 2009

Close Tag Editor (just in case).

In Workbench > Options > Translation memory > Options > Tools > Tag settings > Open, add the .ini file you received.

Retranslate your XML files using the TM you have. There might be some differences after the ini file has been attached, so you might want to go file by file using the ALT * shortcut.

In order to get target language xml files, use the Clean feature in Workbench on your TTX files or Save as target in Tag Editor.

Hope that helps

Monica Berntsson
Sweden
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That helped! Sep 7, 2009

Hello,

That did the trick:) Thanks a lot for your help.

Kind regards,

Monica

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating XML files in Trados

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search