https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/144655-translating_xml_files_in_trados.html

Translating XML files in Trados
Thread poster: Monica Berntsson
Monica Berntsson
Monica Berntsson
Sweden
Local time: 07:38
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 6, 2009

I have translated XML files in Tageditor. The client can't open them and I don't know what, if anything, I do wrong. I then received files from the client saved as UTF-8 which I ran through Trados, but they still can't open them. I can only open the files in Trados or notepad. Then I received an .ini file but it still does not work. Does anyone have an idea?

Monica Berntsson
Monica Berntsson
Sweden
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Correction Sep 6, 2009

I see now that the files I have translated have been converted to TTX files which the client can't open. I now tried to open the original XML files but I can't open them. A message appears: This document contains the unknown DOCTYPE declaration/root element "data". A tag settings file has not yet been defined for this document type. Would you like to specify the settings file now?

I thought this was the .ini file the client sent. I have no clue what the problem is.

[Edited a
... See more
I see now that the files I have translated have been converted to TTX files which the client can't open. I now tried to open the original XML files but I can't open them. A message appears: This document contains the unknown DOCTYPE declaration/root element "data". A tag settings file has not yet been defined for this document type. Would you like to specify the settings file now?

I thought this was the .ini file the client sent. I have no clue what the problem is.

[Edited at 2009-09-07 01:31 GMT]
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Hi Monica, Sep 7, 2009

Close Tag Editor (just in case).

In Workbench > Options > Translation memory > Options > Tools > Tag settings > Open, add the .ini file you received.

Retranslate your XML files using the TM you have. There might be some differences after the ini file has been attached, so you might want to go file by file using the ALT * shortcut.

In order to get target language xml files, use the Clean feature in Workbench on your TTX files or Save as target in Tag Editor.
... See more
Close Tag Editor (just in case).

In Workbench > Options > Translation memory > Options > Tools > Tag settings > Open, add the .ini file you received.

Retranslate your XML files using the TM you have. There might be some differences after the ini file has been attached, so you might want to go file by file using the ALT * shortcut.

In order to get target language xml files, use the Clean feature in Workbench on your TTX files or Save as target in Tag Editor.

Hope that helps
Collapse

Monica Berntsson
Monica Berntsson
Sweden
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That helped! Sep 7, 2009

Hello,

That did the trick:) Thanks a lot for your help.

Kind regards,

Monica

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating XML files in Trados

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »