Which TRADOS?
Thread poster: Silvia L-C

Silvia L-C
Local time: 00:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 8, 2009

Hi,

I'd like to know which TRADOS people use and what the main advantages or disadvantages are of each version. I see lots of options, from 2007 to 2009, from Professional to Freelance and even more.

I'm just not sure if I'm using the right version or if there is an even better one.

Thanks a lot!

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Studio 2009 is the best version Sep 8, 2009

Hi Silvia,

If you are a freelancer, you need the Freelance version, which is probably what you have. As far as I understand, the Professional version is a very expensive version that agencies use.

If you bought Studio 2009, you received the 2007 Suite along with it, for technical reasons.
However, once you start with Studio, you will find your productivity increased, and you will not want to use - or continue to use - the 2007 Suite.

It is true that there were quite a few problems with Studio to begin with. Some of us have had the opportunity to test various improved versions (I think you can put your name down for this, if you are interested, somewhere in your SDL profile page). The - no longer latest - improved version that I have been using since last week is very good. However, if you simply want to use an official version, then you will have to wait until SP1 is officially released before you have good, stable software to work with. Nevertheless, I would still suggest getting used to Studio (even the original version) in the meantime, rather than using 2007 Suite.

The reason that Studio increases productivity is mainly due to a couple of new features since the 2007 Suite: (1) the improved terminology feature, where you can select words to pop in, which are all visible in a box in the top right-hand corner, instead of clicking through them (and not seeing them), as was the case up to and including Suite 2007. However, how much you benefit in this way depends on whether you have at all built up termbases yet. If you are a new user, or have not created any termbases, you will not be in a position to notice this difference; (2) the autosuggest feature, where what you were about to type is automatically suggested - and is very often correct - is very good. However, to create it you need to first have a translation memory that you have created in the past, containing at least 25,000 TUs.

I would suggest, in any event, to familiarise yourself with Studio. It will benefit your business in the long term.

Astrid

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
FL vs Pro, 2007 vs 2009 Sep 8, 2009

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

If you are a freelancer, you need the Freelance version, which is probably what you have. As far as I understand, the Professional version is a very expensive version that agencies use.

The official street price is 3000 euro, so...

If you bought Studio 2009, you received the 2007 Suite along with it, for technical reasons.

I.e. Studio still lacks of some modules (e.g. Align) and must rely on the precedent version, the same for the data conversion if you have data in "legacy" format.
BTW, I prefer "classic" here

However, once you start with Studio, you will find your productivity increased, and you will not want to use - or continue to use - the 2007 Suite.

It's very personal.
In fact, both version are complementary.
And for some tasks, T2007 is still better.
My preferred example is a large doc file with complex formatting and some text to translate marked in red.
The old bilingual doc workflow rulez

[...]

Cheers
GG

Silvia L-C
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
very helpful Sep 8, 2009

Thanks a lot, you were both very helpful.

I was using 2007 Freelance, but I wasn't sure about the new Studio and well, I guess the Professional version is definetely not for me.

I think I'll stick to 2007 for now but will probably update to 2009 when they finish polishing it.

Daniel Weston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:17
French to English
+ ...
One more question... Sep 8, 2009

While we are on this topic...

I upgraded to Studio 2009 when it first came out, and I liked it very much. I went back to 2007 Freelance Suite for many reasons, the main one being I thought it would be best to wait for SP1 before trying it again. My qustion is, in Word there are so many formatting and special characters that can be inserted, however Studio 2009 seemed rather limited in this arena Was I just missing something? Is there a way to accomplish all of the formatting that Word is able to perform?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Text processor vs. CAT Sep 8, 2009

Daniel Weston wrote:
My qustion is, in Word there are so many formatting and special characters that can be inserted, however Studio 2009 seemed rather limited in this arena Was I just missing something? Is there a way to accomplish all of the formatting that Word is able to perform?

Hi Daniel,
this is quite natural. Please note that Studio is a CAT tool, not a text processor. As any other CAT tool, Studio has been designed to keep the source-document formatting, not to create formatting of its own. It is supposed that a CAT tool, and I mean any CAT tool, will process the final version of a document.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which TRADOS?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search