Thread poster: Verena Schmidt

Verena Schmidt  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:02
Spanish to German
+ ...
Sep 10, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I just received two files for translation in SDLX. In order to confirm the price - the client sent me a TM read-out - I ran an analysis in Translators Workbench with the same files, which gave me a totally different word count.

This is the client`s analysis:

Repetitions: 1.643
No match: 51.556

This is the result of my analysis in Workbench:

Repetitions: 39.975
No match: 55.237
Total: 95.212

This is quite a difference and I just don`t understand what went wrong. Does anybody have an idea? The Workbench word count is really strange, because when I open the files in Microsoft Word, the agencies word count is more or less correct.

Any help appreciated...Thank you!

Verena

Direct link Reply with quote

Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Non-translatable text not recognized Sep 10, 2009

Apparently, Trados doesn't recognize non-translatable content in the files and includes it in the analysis, while SDLX recognizes it correctly. You didn't mention the file format, so it's just a guess.

Verena Schmidt  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Adam Sep 11, 2009

The files are Microsoft Word files with a lot of pictures taken from websites. Those pictures contain text but I always thought that Trados doesn`t recognize text on images? I`m just wondering where this huge amount of repetitions comes from. I also checked the original word file for hidden text, but there is none.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Very different word count in Workbench and SDLX

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search