https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/145019-very_different_word_count_in_workbench_and_sdlx.html

Very different word count in Workbench and SDLX
Thread poster: Verena Schmidt (X)
Verena Schmidt (X)
Verena Schmidt (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:20
English to German
+ ...
Sep 10, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I just received two files for translation in SDLX. In order to confirm the price - the client sent me a TM read-out - I ran an analysis in Translators Workbench with the same files, which gave me a totally different word count.

This is the client`s analysis:

Repetitions: 1.643
No match: 51.556

This is the result of my analysis in Workbench:

Repetitions: 39.975
No match: 55.237
Total: 95.212
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I just received two files for translation in SDLX. In order to confirm the price - the client sent me a TM read-out - I ran an analysis in Translators Workbench with the same files, which gave me a totally different word count.

This is the client`s analysis:

Repetitions: 1.643
No match: 51.556

This is the result of my analysis in Workbench:

Repetitions: 39.975
No match: 55.237
Total: 95.212

This is quite a difference and I just don`t understand what went wrong. Does anybody have an idea? The Workbench word count is really strange, because when I open the files in Microsoft Word, the agencies word count is more or less correct.

Any help appreciated...Thank you!

Verena
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Non-translatable text not recognized Sep 10, 2009

Apparently, Trados doesn't recognize non-translatable content in the files and includes it in the analysis, while SDLX recognizes it correctly. You didn't mention the file format, so it's just a guess.

Verena Schmidt (X)
Verena Schmidt (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Adam Sep 11, 2009

The files are Microsoft Word files with a lot of pictures taken from websites. Those pictures contain text but I always thought that Trados doesn`t recognize text on images? I`m just wondering where this huge amount of repetitions comes from. I also checked the original word file for hidden text, but there is none.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Very different word count in Workbench and SDLX

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »