FrameMaker files in Studio 2009: Where is my ancillary file?
Thread poster: Leena vom Hofe

Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:56
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Sep 13, 2009

Hello

I am still having problems with saving my target in Studio...

But as I told yesterday, I succeded in saving 9 of 10 files and can open them now in FrameMaker.

Now, I see, everything seems to be fine apart from the text in cross-references and titles etc.

I give you three examples:

I have translated the sentence: " for further information, please refer to chapter XXX on page YYY" (a typical crossreference), and now in German I get: "weitere Informationen finden Sie im Kapitel XXX, page YYY" (the little word "page" has not been translated as this - being a cross reference - has been shown in form of a tag in Studio)

Another example: I have a line on top of every page in the document telling me, that this is a "manual for this and that", then I have a line on the foot of the page telling me this is a "confidential document" .... These parts have not been translated either (and I can not change the text in FrameMaker - at least I don't know how...)

Third problem: Before every chapter I have the title "Chapter X" on top of the page... This hasn't been translated either.

Before starting my work with Studio (again: I was so happy, that apparently everything seemed to work fine without STagger), I always translated these parts in my ancillary file...

But now?

Does anyone know anything about this problem?

Thanks and have a nice sunday

Leena

PS: Apparently Studio can't handle MIF very well... but isn't there anything to be done now more than 50.000 words have already been translated..? Next time I'll be wiser and will work with STagger again...

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There is no ancillary file anymore AFAIK Sep 13, 2009

But you can still process contents of cross references and other options.
Simply go to File types, chose Framemaker and make the corresponding settings.
Of course you have to do that PRIOR to converting them.
There you can also set up how to proceed with tag verification.

Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New settings and SP1 Beta Sep 25, 2009

Leena vom Hofe wrote:

PS: Apparently Studio can't handle MIF very well... but isn't there anything to be done now more than 50.000 words have already been translated..? Next time I'll be wiser and will work with STagger again...

I have managed to finish my project finally working in FrameMaker with a lot of extra work and formatting etc.

BUT: I have now downloaded the new build (thanks to Paul Filkin who was superb in helping me with my old project as well as with the new one!) and have found the settings I need for my (rather complex) FM-files.

Now it works perfectly well in Studio.

Just wanted to let you know.

A nice day and weekend to everybody!

Leena

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Can you please share? Sep 25, 2009

Leena, I think it would be very handy for other users if you could post the information about the right settings to use with MIF files. Would you please summarise the settings in this topic?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
mif settings Sep 25, 2009

Hi Tomás

As you are no doubt aware, the settings you need for mif files will depend very much on what you want to get out of the file to translate in the first place. In Leenas case we looked at the file with her and just made sure that the necessary settings were checked in the filter to ensure she was able to translate all the material she was used to seeing in TagEditor.

The help guide in Studio gives a reasonable overview of what each setting does and if you type "framemaker settings" into the search box in the help under the index you will be taken to a useful section on this.

The help advises that the default settings do a reasonable job most of the time and we think this is true, but there are many options for handling cross references, conditional text, special characters, master page etc in different ways to allow more flexability.

So the settings that were appropriate for Leena may not be appropriate for everyone else. The guide is a good place to start, and if this doesn't help we would be happy to try and keep an eye on this thread to help deal with any specific problems users are having to manage these settings and get what they need.

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

[Edited at 2009-09-25 20:42 GMT]

Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Paul Sep 26, 2009

I couldn't have said it better.

Just back in the office, sorry for my late answer.

Leena

EW Ching
Malaysia
Cross reference with .mif files May 11, 2014

I got the exact same problem with Leena, the word "page" is appear in the tag for the cross reference. For Trados 2007, there is an ancillary file for me to put the translation for the word "page" but there is no more ancillary file in Trados 2009. If I check the box on "Process reference page", Trados do not let me to save the target file and it shows "The target document cannot be created because a mismatch between the source document and the target document has been detected". Can somebody please help !!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FrameMaker files in Studio 2009: Where is my ancillary file?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search