What are the Trados versions after Trados freelance 6.5, and what are the differences between them?
Thread poster: Elena Rizova

Elena Rizova
Macedonia (FYROM)
Local time: 17:00
Italian to Macedonian
+ ...
Sep 13, 2009

Hi,

I have not used Trados untill now (except for some tries in Trados freelance 6.5), but I have to start using it, because I had some good translation offers that I missed because of not using it. I have searched on Internet if I will find informations about Translation versions after Trados freelance 6.5 but I got confused because there are so many versions written and nothing chronologically. And there is nothing chronologically even on the official Trados site. Can someone please write me chronologically all Trados versions after Trados freelance 6.5 ? And please write what are the main differences between Trados 7 and Trados 2007 and SDL Trados and SDLX Trados? I know that I ask too many questions but I am a begginer and nothing is clearly explained on Internet about Trados versions.

I hope that I am on the right place for this topic and questions.

Thank you

Elena

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-09-15 15:30 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Crystal Jiang
China
Local time: 00:00
English to Chinese
+ ...
Get the newest Sep 14, 2009

Hi, Elena. Technology updates day by day. If you are a new user to Trados, why don't you try the newest one?

Usually, these developers will make their higher version of gadgets compatible downwards as well as supporting later formats such as from "doc" to "docx".
And, the latest version is promoted in priority on their official website. Only demos of the latest version can be downloaded for trial.

SDL is ancedent to Trados simply because Trados Co. was merged into SDL in 2005.

May you get more good offers with Trados.

---Crystal from China

xxxPaul Daubreu
French to German
+ ...
Take your time to make a choice Sep 14, 2009

Hi Elena,
I would first of all have a good look at the global CAT tool offer before deciding to buy this one rather than that one.

On a personal level, I think that a software for which xxx support requests are posted every day on the fora of this site is not fit to be used on a daily basis.

Simply because outsourcers request one software rather than the other does not mean that said software is "the best on the market".

The best software on the market is the one which suits your own needs! And this thread http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/145207-a_bugs_life_trouble_with_trados_2009.html sums up nicely some of the current issues with the "latest" SDL Trados version...

[Edited at 2009-09-14 06:20 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
First time CAT user... you have a good opportunity! Sep 14, 2009

I reckon that your customers might be urging you to get Trados, mostly because they use it and they want their translators to use their same tool. That is legitimate.

However, after being a devote Trados user for over a decade, I am at the verge of going a different way for our internal work in the team and keep Trados just as the interface with our all-Trados customers. I think the recommendation by Paul is a very sensible one.

There are more tools out there and some of them are really good ones. I encourage you to do some research on this matter and find the tool that fits your budget, needs, and way of working. If that tool is Trados, then go for it!

Elena Rizova
Macedonia (FYROM)
Italian to Macedonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Explanation Sep 14, 2009

Hi all,

Thank you for replying me. Untill now I have used Wordfast and I am very satisfied and it is easy to use it. But the problem is that I have recived some offers where it is written "Trados only" and I have only Trados 6.5 and Trados 7 (that I haven't used it so far and I am confused because somewhere I have readen that there is Trados 2007 - is the same ?)that as I have understood are a bit of old versions. And I do not want to buy Trados 2009 because it is not tested enought and because of the problems I have read on the Forum. So what I need is someone to understand me the differences between Trados 7 and Trados 2007 or better to give me some other CAT tool that has demo and is cheeper and I can used and is compatible with Trados. So I can use this CAT tool as demo or free version and also accept "Trados only" projects because will be compatible.

Thaks again

Elena

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:00
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
You can use Wordfast Classic for processing TRADOS files (.doc & .ttx) Sep 14, 2009

Basically you will need these free applications:

1) Demo version of SDL TRADOS 2006 (it never gets void):

-TWB - Translate for segmenting the files the TRADOS way
- TagEditor for checking compatability of the .ttx translated files)

2) TTXpress = converter from TTX to RTF and vice versa (http://www.translatum.gr/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3076.0;attach=2992), so you can process ttx files in Wordfast and convert them back to ttx, using MS Word.

3) Olifant (http://sourceforge.net/projects/okapi/files/Olifant%20(Stable)/) for converting tmx memories to WordFast TMs and vice versa (former versions of Olifant also allowed converting directly from TRADOS txt to WF TM)

You should figure out the exact workflow, as it is pretty logical. I used the above schema for several years until I started using DéjàVu, which is of course a lot more powerful than TRADOS and WF.

BTW, after TRADOS 7.0 they produced versions 7.1, 7.2, SDL TRADOS 2006 (7.5), SDL TRADOS 2007 (8.0) and SDL TRADOS 2009. So, you must cash out a good amount only for getting updated, let aside the money you could expend in training and technical support (always lata answers). Believe me, there are better alternatives in the market!

Saludos

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What are the Trados versions after Trados freelance 6.5, and what are the differences between them?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search