Thread poster: Paula González Fernández

Paula González Fernández  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 15, 2009

Hello everyone,
I have installed Windows Vista and MS Office 2007 recently, and I'm not totally satisfied with it, specially when it comes to using Trados (2007 is my version).
The idea of reinstalling everything back to Windows XP was tempting but... no, too tiring, so I thought of either reinstalling MS office 2003 or installing OpenOffice. I've just tried the second one but I see no Trados bar anywhere. Does anyone (I suppose many of you, much wiser and experienced than me) have experience in using Trados (Tageditor and Multiterm speciallly) with OpenOffice? Any ideas, suggestions...?
THANKS!
Paula

Direct link Reply with quote

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
The Trados toolbar Sep 15, 2009

Paula González Fernández wrote:
I've just tried the second one but I see no Trados bar anywhere.

Isn't the Trados toolbar simply a macro written in the macro language of MS Word? If so, it won't show up in OOo Writer at all, because OOo uses a different (inferior) macro language.

xxxPaul Daubreu
French to German
+ ...
TagEditor or nothing... Sep 15, 2009

Hello Paula,
you can translate OpenOffice files with the T2007 TagEditor (and a real "tag soup"). But AFAIK the Trados macro for Word is not compatible with OpenOffice, as it is a specific MS add-in.

A Wordfast Classic look-alike CAT tool bar is available for OpenOffice, it is Anaphraseus.

HTH.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Hidden per poster's request

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
hope it helps Sep 16, 2009

I had the same problem just yesterday.
You should go to Tools>Templates and Add-ins>Templates. If you don't have it there, you have to look for it (TRADOS8.DOT) within the SDL Trados file (where you installed it)>T2007>TT>Templates>Trados8.
I would like to ask you for a favour: I did this when I downgraded to MSOffice 2003. I'm using it with Vista, and everytime I turn on the PC, I need to redo this again (the only thing is that the system has memorised the TRADOS8.DOT and I don't need to look for it, so it's easy and straightforward. Could you tell me if the same happens to you with MSOffice 2007?
THANKS!

Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 16, 2009

Thanks Paul and Samuel. I've decided to downgrade to MSO 2003...

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Upgrade to SDL Trados 2007 (or 2009...) Sep 16, 2009

Svetla Chorbadzhieva wrote:

Hello,
I would like to add another (related) question.
I've recently upgraded my office 2003 to office 2007 and I can't see the Trados toolbar at all -how/where do I find it? Or should I reinstall Trados?
Thanks

Trados 7 (including SDL Trados 2006 - 7.5) isn't compatible with Office 2007. If you search the forums on this subject you will find numerous threads.

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Trados and OpenOffice Sep 16, 2009

ODF files are content zipped XML files. If you change the extension of .ODF to .zip you will be able to extract such files and to translate them in any translation editor able to read xml files, but not direct in OpenOffice.

I tried Anaphraseus (a WF like macro) with a spanish version of OpenOffice and it did not run well.

[Editado a las 2009-09-16 13:02 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados and OpenOffice

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search