Question about TRADOS integration into Microsoft Word, and Termbase purpose
Thread poster: Fanees Mussen
Fanees Mussen
Russian Federation
Local time: 05:11
English to Russian
Sep 15, 2009

I am newbie in TRADOS.

I have installed Microsoft Office, then TRADOS Freelance 7, then TRADOS MultiTerm 7 and in Microsoft Word I don't see TRADOS panel to which I see in "New to TRADOS Self-running Tutorial"

Also I have problem with Termbase (I even don't know for what is Termbase needed). I tried to go to "Term Recognition Options" from "Options" menu in TRADOS Translator's Workbench. And when I load "Local Sample (Local)" termbase, at "Language selection" appears only several languages. (I am English to Russian translator, therefore I tried to find Russian language in "Target language" in "Language selection" form, but there only four languages

Please explain me, how better to continue learning TRADOS or how fix described problems.

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:11
English to French
+ ...
Read relevant sections of the manual Sep 15, 2009

I am afraid that as a newbie, you will have to find some time to read at least part of the manual. When you do, please also practice at the same time--practice makes perfect.

Termbases are basically bilingual (or multilingual) glossaries. They contain terms whose translations are automatically proposed to you as you translate if you come across them, provided you set up term recognition. Termbases are very handy, even though they can look scary to newbies. To learn to use MultiTerm, I suggest you complete the course on EcoloTrain and then also do the exercises. http://ecolotrain.uni-saarland.de/index.php?id=1619&L=1

The reason why you can't find your language pairs in the sample termbase is because it is only a sample. If you want to use your own language pairs, you would need to create a new termbase. The best way to do this when you are new to Trados is to create a blank termbase in MultiTerm for your language pair and keep adding terms to it as you translate. EcoloTrain will help you learn to do this.

You just really need to read the File Formats Reference Guide and the Translator's Workbench User Guide. You don't need to read all of it right away, but you should look up the relevant parts, read them and practice the concepts in those sections. You will read about the more advanced stuff once you are able to perform the basic steps. You can also type Trados into the search field on YouTube--there are some videos there you may find useful.

As for the missing toolbar, do a forum search for missing word toolbar--you will find lots of advice as this is one of the most frequently asked questions about Trados.

All the best!

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question about TRADOS integration into Microsoft Word, and Termbase purpose

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search