Add vs. Merge in Trados
Thread poster: LyuFi
LyuFi
Local time: 08:43
Russian
Sep 15, 2009

Hi, there!

I am trying to understand what the difference between two import options: add and merge is.

Both of them imply adding imported units to the current TM. But what will the result be? What will my target TM contain if I add units (small file import mode) and if I merge units (large file import mode).

Small import file (no reorganisation): Translator's Workbench reads the translation units from the text import file and adds them to the current translation memory.

Large import file (with reorganisation): Translator's Workbench reads and analyses all translation units from the text import file and merges them with the existing data in the translation memory.

TIA

[Edited at 2009-09-16 08:22 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

David Terhart  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:43
English to German
+ ...
"Merge" Sep 16, 2009

"Merge" wil only be possible if your TM allows multiple 100% matches (check under "File - Properties" to see if it does). In this case, TUs with identical source texts will be added as a second unit so you will get several 100% matches (appearing as 99% matches).

About "Add" I have no idea.

Hope that helps!
Cheers,
David

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Add vs. Merge in Trados

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search