Thread poster: Bo Ryden
Bo Ryden
Bo Ryden  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:29
French to Swedish
+ ...
Sep 16, 2009

Hello,

One of my clients wants me to use SDLX in future jobs, and my question is if TRADOS 2009 includes all SDLX functionalities?

Thanks a lot!
Bo

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
SDLX vs Studio Sep 16, 2009

Hi Bo,

I know there are many SDLX fans in this forum, but perhaps not as regular as the Trados users, so I will try and answer this question for you.

Studio has been developed to take advantage of the best that the Trados and the SDL tools had to offer, but it is a different tool and handles some things in a different way.

There are some functions in SDLX that are not available in Studio yet, and they may appear in a later version, but they are features tha
... See more
Hi Bo,

I know there are many SDLX fans in this forum, but perhaps not as regular as the Trados users, so I will try and answer this question for you.

Studio has been developed to take advantage of the best that the Trados and the SDL tools had to offer, but it is a different tool and handles some things in a different way.

There are some functions in SDLX that are not available in Studio yet, and they may appear in a later version, but they are features that are not relevant to all users. Is there something specific you are concerned about and I can tell you whether this is possible with Studio?

In the meantime, you may still get some more feedback from the SDLX users who visit this forum.

Regards

Paul
SDL Support
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rephrasing the question Sep 16, 2009

This is interesting in my case too, as we occasionally do alignments and little jobs in SDLXs, although our main tool has been Trados.

I am rephrasing the question, assuming that this is what Bo originally meant to ask:
Now, will Studio 2009 be compatible (will be able to open and save) with the SDLX file format for memories, alignments, and other files or will we need to keep an old Trados 2006 or 2007 to be able to use true SDLX files?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Good question Sep 16, 2009

Hi Tomás,

Perhaps you are right, and I misunderstood the request. I'll try to answer this one too just in case.

Studio can open an ITD file, allow you to translate it, and will save it back as an ITD. Studio will not allow you to open a Word file (for example) and then save this back as an ITD.

Studio can be used to upgrade an SDLX TM, and it can be used to open and upgrade an SDLX Termbase. I believe Gareth provided some good information on this here;<
... See more
Hi Tomás,

Perhaps you are right, and I misunderstood the request. I'll try to answer this one too just in case.

Studio can open an ITD file, allow you to translate it, and will save it back as an ITD. Studio will not allow you to open a Word file (for example) and then save this back as an ITD.

Studio can be used to upgrade an SDLX TM, and it can be used to open and upgrade an SDLX Termbase. I believe Gareth provided some good information on this here;

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/145391-cant_upgrade_tms_for_studio_2009.html#1216180

You will need to keep SDL Trados 2007 installed to facilitate some of these operations. There is also a new build, 7080, for SDLX to ensure it is capable of connecting to an SDL MultiTerm 2009 termbase and you can find this here;

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2765&p=1

The software itself is available in your download centre.

I hope this answers your question?

Regards

Paul
SDL Support
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS 2009 and SDLX

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »