SDL Trados won't open
Thread poster: Jan Neumann

Jan Neumann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:39
Member (2007)
English to German
Sep 16, 2009

I wonder if anybody can help me with the following problem.

My SDL Trados 2007 (8.2) has given me trouble for a while.
At first I couldn't enlarge or reduce segments anymore using the Workbench (when working in Word 2007/Windows XP) because the button had disappeeared. Then some of the icons disappeared.

Yesterday now the system froze which I presumed was a footnote problem.
I couldn't get out of it other than via a hard reset, and now SDL Trados doesn't open anymore and I get the error message:

Die Applikation konnte nicht initialisiert werden.

In the bar at the bottom of the screen (displaying the programmes used), SDL Trados Synergy is displayed twice. When I click on OK to confirm the error message, that's it for the 1st SDL Trados; I can't do anything else, and SDL Trados doesn't load fully.

Sometimes it ends here, and I can only get out of this via Ctrl Alt Del. Sometimes I can change to the 2nd SDL Trados that's displayed, and then I get a 2nd error message:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

When I click OK on this to confirm, the screen background changes from blue to white and the hour-glass symbol appears, and that's it. I can get out of this via Ctrl Alt Del.

I deinstalled and then reinstalled the programme but to no avail.
All other programmes (Office, Acrobat, Paint Shop pro) work fine on that machine.
There is plenty of disk space and the system is defragmented.

If anybody has any idea what this could be about or how it can be resolved, it would be much appreciated.

Best regards

Jan

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
have you tried "repair"? Sep 16, 2009

This is usually the way to get back to factory settings.

Warning: I have a 2007 as well, as a "by-gift" with Studio 2009. The repair in this version of Freelance 2007 does not/b> work properly - missing a file in the cab archive used to repair the installation -.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados Support Sep 16, 2009

Hi Jan,

I understand that your error message roughly translates to "The application was not able to initialize". We have an article within our knowledge base which should fix this problem:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1634&p=1

Please follow the instructions provided and you should no longer receive the error message when starting up SDL Trados 2007.

I also understand you are receiving a problem with your Trados menu in Word. Please try replacing the Trados template as instructed in the following KB article:

http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1466&p=1

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Jan Neumann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
problem solved, thanks a lot Sep 16, 2009

Thank you very much Gareth,

I read the article in the knowledge base and was able to solve the problem.

For your information, the Trados folder and with it the Local folder were placed in a different place from the one advised in the knowledge base article even though I chose the standards settings when installing the programme (in the My documents folder in D). Just to puzzle you.

The Trados menu had already been restored through the reinstallation.

Thanks also Vito for your suggestion.

Best regards

Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados won't open

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search