Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Can we take a survey of Studio deployment?
Thread poster: Joel Earnest

Joel Earnest
Local time: 15:27
Swedish to English
Sep 17, 2009

I'm very curious about the percentage of users who have deployed Studio in a production environment. It'd help to determine how widespread the problems are.
Is there any way of setting up a poll? It could be like this:

Which version of Trados are you currently using in production?

1. Studio

2. Suite

3. Earlier version

Direct link Reply with quote

kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
surveymonkey.com Sep 17, 2009

Try www.surveymonkey.com . It's a great idea. Doing it, I would suggest a few additional questions revealing how big a percentage of the work is being done in the various environment - most Studio users probably run mixed/hybrid scenarios.

Michael Kazakov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:27
English to Russian
+ ...
SDL Suite 2007 Sep 17, 2009

Joel Earnest wrote:
Which version of Trados are you currently using in production?

I bought Studio but uninstalled it after just one day, so I have Studio 09 license but Suite 07 is my main production tool.

kimjasper wrote:
Try www.surveymonkey.com .

What's wrong with http://www.proz.com/polls?sp_mode=suggest ?

And yes, this poll is a very interesting idea.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, you can suggest a poll Sep 17, 2009

Hi Joel,

You are free to suggest it as a poll. The facility is to be found under the "Community" menu, and the menu item "Quick Polls". Michael has just beaten me to it and provided the link, so, if you click on his link, it is easier still.

I, for one, would be interested in the results of this particular poll.

Astrid

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
SDL Trados 2006 and 2007 Sep 17, 2009

And not considering Studio at all at this stage! None of my customers use Studio yet.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
include mixed scenario in poll Sep 17, 2009

Yes, a poll would be interesting.

As KimJasper points out, a mixed scenario option in the poll would be essential as Studio cannot be used as a standalone application until all clients/agencies are using it (since they require deliver in an unclean format).

Studio needs to be made backward compatible so that it can be used on its own.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Are you serious? Sep 17, 2009

Michael Kazakov wrote:
kimjasper wrote:
Try www.surveymonkey.com .

What's wrong with http://www.proz.com/polls?sp_mode=suggest ?
And yes, this poll is a very interesting idea.

Honestly Michael, are you serious? From the surveys I have suggested along the years, not a single one has been published. Not even one survey dozens of users publicly expressed their interest in. Never, ever received feedback on whether the polls would be published or not, and why or why not.

This issue with Studio 2009 is a hot matter these days. Are you seriously saying Proz.com will be willing to publish a poll about it?

Michael Kazakov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:27
English to Russian
+ ...
Isn't it automatic? Sep 17, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
This issue with Studio 2009 is a hot matter these days. Are you seriously saying Proz.com will be willing to publish a poll about it?

I actually don't know how exactly this system works. Is it subject to vetting? Well, that appears this way from your posting.

And since this is indeed a hot issue I don't see why Proz.com would not want to publish that.

Anyway, I can only repeat: I do think this is a great idea and whether it is implemented through Proz.com infrastructure (poll+discussion) or through a third-party poll supplier and Proz.com forum is really not that important....

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Polls are of course chosen Sep 17, 2009

Michael Kazakov wrote:

I actually don't know how exactly this system works. Is it subject to vetting? Well, that appears this way from your posting.
And since this is indeed a hot issue I don't see why Proz.com would not want to publish that.

A) No. It is not automatic. Polls are chosen. You can easily imagine that 300.000 users can post many polls... and the year only has 365 days. Only one poll per day is published as far as I know.

B) Well, you are probably aware that SDL is not just Trados, but also a big agency with large resources, networking possibilities and advertising budget. I am sure Proz.com would prefer not to "mess" with this very touchy matter of the real expansion and acceptance of Studio 2009 at this time, just in case the mere existence of the poll or its results are not in line with SDL's marketing preferences.

Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Site rule three? Sep 17, 2009

A poll restricted to a specific product could reasonably be construed as advertising, which would be in violation of Proz site rule three.

There again, if you think the issue is of general interest, propose a quick poll anyway and see what happens

Giles

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Cannot suggest polls Sep 17, 2009

Just checked and this is what I found:

As a non-paying member or site visitor, you have access to the current and past polls. For the ability to suggest future polls, consider becoming a ProZ.com member. [Join ProZ.com!]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
I second that ... Sep 17, 2009

Honestly Michael, are you serious? From the surveys I have suggested along the years, not a single one has been published.

++

However, you can suggest a poll like

What is your preferred cat fur color?
1 - albino
2 - scarlet
3 - green fluorescent
4 - I'm color blind
5 - what's a cat?

and you can bet your sweet behind, it will be on in 24 hours.

Note I said cat. CAT would for sure land in the trash can.

Regards

[Edited at 2009-09-17 12:36 GMT]

xxxPaul Daubreu
French to German
+ ...
Sincerely, Joel... Sep 17, 2009

If I were you, and reading what I have read in this thread, I would gladly create a poll on Survey Monkey...

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
In the mean time... Sep 17, 2009

Full deployment here, but only after I gained access to beta versions.

I began beta testing three versions ago (and about four weeks ago) and have yet to experience a crash. Due to most of my customers being agency cusotmers, I've had to use the the DOC->TTX->SDLXLIFF->TTX->DOC workflow.

There are still rough edges and not all features always work as expected, and I have a list of minor enhancements that could be made, but it seems to definitlely be going in the right direction.

Maybe this poll wouldn't be as good an idea as I first thought. Afterall, I'm guessing that a good portion of the posters are only here because they have problems. For all we know, a very high percentage of users may be working happlily along with the intitial release, with no problems at all. Although I doubt it.

[Edited at 2009-09-17 15:34 GMT]

kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
ttx round trip survival Sep 17, 2009

Joel Earnest wrote:

Full deployment here, but only after I gained access to beta versions.

I began beta testing three versions (and about four weeks ago) and have yet to experience a crash. Due to most of my customers being agency cusotmers, I've had to use the the DOC->TTX->SDLXLIFF->TTX->DOC workflow.

Sorry for being off-topic but I am curious: Do ttx files survive a round trip Workbench -> Studio -> Workbench? My experience (without) the beta is that Studio delivers slightly different ttx files that normally cannot be used under Workbench without error messages.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can we take a survey of Studio deployment?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search