Thread poster: Gisela Murdter

Gisela Murdter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:11
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Sep 17, 2009

OK - I have just trawled through the archive and there are plenty of entries re Trados 2007 and Word 2007 - but none appears to be related to mine.

I have only just 'upgraded' to Office 2007 and still work with Trados 2007 Freelance (in XP Professional). The upgrade went fine and I didn't have any problems processing my files. I did the usual: saved the bilingual file and then cleaned up to get the .BAK file. During the installation process of Office 2007 I already made sure that I had 'create or save all documents as "Word 1997-2003" documents'.

Now the client tells me they couldn't open the .BAK file. I ran the whole thing through Tageditor and sent them a ttx.file which they were able to open without problems.

So what am I doing wrong that the client can't open my .BAK files?

I also work with Metatexis (I actually work mostly with Metatexis, but this specific client insists on 'real Trados files'. No use arguing with them) and there are no problems at all with unclean WORD files.

Many thanks in advance to anybody who can guide me in the right direction!

Gisela

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:11
English to German
+ ...
Why not make a copy of the bilingual file? Sep 17, 2009

The "issue" with the BAK file could be that the BAK extension is not linked with Word on the client´s computer.
Nevertheless, why not make a copy of the bilingual Word file, i.e. after you finish the translation, before clean-up, just make a copy of the Word file and send this as a "real Trados file" to the client.

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
a copy of the bilingual Word file? Sep 17, 2009

Dear Daniel,

sorry for sounding ignorant: can I really just make a copy of the bilingual file? That could be the solution!

Everything worked fine under Word 2003, so I was just a bit baffled when the client told me 'can't open it'.

Many thanks!

Gisela

Daniel Meier wrote:

The "issue" with the BAK file could be that the BAK extension is not linked with Word on the client´s computer.
Nevertheless, why not make a copy of the bilingual Word file, i.e. after you finish the translation, before clean-up, just make a copy of the Word file and send this as a "real Trados file" to the client.

Jiantao Lu  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 03:11
English to Chinese
BAK files Sep 17, 2009

I think these .BAK files are just backup files generated after you conduct a "clean" action. I don't know how to open it, either. I usually will choose "not to backup", then no .BAK files will be generated.
And how did you open these files before?

United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
.BAK files Sep 17, 2009

Trados always creates .BAK files when I clean up and they open just like normal files in Word, only they are bilingual. The client always wanted .BAK files and they got it. As I said: all worked fine under Word 2003.

For the past few years I have mainly worked with Metatexis (because I find it much, much easier!) and only use Trados for this client (I spent all my lovely money on Trados before I bought Metatexis), so I am much more versed with Metatexis these days...

Best wishes - Gisela

Jiantao Lu wrote:

I think these .BAK files are just backup files generated after you conduct a "clean" action. I don't know how to open it, either. I usually will choose "not to backup", then no .BAK files will be generated.
And how did you open these files before?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Freelance 207 and Word 2007 - issues with BAK file

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search