"Could not obtain lock" message with Translator's Workbench 8.3
Thread poster: Birgit Hofmann

Birgit Hofmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:55
English to German
Sep 17, 2009

When trying to save a TU, there frequently (but not always!) appears the message "Trying to obtain lock..." and a countdown in the Workbench Status Line. After the countdown has reached 0, the message "Could not obtain lock" is displayed.
In this case, I can only close but not save the current TU. It happens randomly, sometimes I can open the very same unit half an hour later and it works. Thanks for your help!
P.S. I'm working with SDL Trados 2007 and Word 2007, but the same happens when using Tag Editor.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sandra Milosavljevic-Rothe  Identity Verified
Serbia
German to Serbian
+ ...
The same problem Dec 25, 2010

I have the same problem with one of my TMs. Have you solved it in the meantime?

Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Are you sharing acccess to the TM? Dec 25, 2010

Could it be that you are accessing the TM at the same time as another user? Or that you have two copies of Workbench open?

Close TE and Workbench, start up Workbench again and open your TM in exclusive mode and see f he problem comes up again.

Walter

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe a problem of "floating licences"? Jan 1, 2011

Walter Blaser wrote:

Could it be that you are accessing the TM at the same time as another user? Or that you have two copies of Workbench open?

Close TE and Workbench, start up Workbench again and open your TM in exclusive mode and see f he problem comes up again.

Walter

We are 3 translators and use an SDL "Team" version, which includes 5 floating licences. I use the TM software both in a network environment and, if I work at my home office, as a local (exclusive) copy (then the licence is transferred via VPN). Unfortunately, the problem occurs in both cases, and very randomly.

I suspect that this is a performance problem. If it occurs, I use "close segment" and open the next segment and enter the missing segments later by performing a clean-up step...So far, I haven't found another solution.

Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
No solution yet Jan 1, 2011

Sandra Milosavljevic-Rothe wrote:

I have the same problem with one of my TMs. Have you solved it in the meantime?

Hello Sandra, unfortunately no - maybe Walter has another idea?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Corrupt indexes? Jan 1, 2011

If you are sure that you are the only person opening the memory, have you tried to reorganise the memories (File > Reorganise; memory must be open in exclusive mode)? I wonder whether some index in the memory could be corrupt after a long time with no reorganisation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Could not obtain lock" message with Translator's Workbench 8.3

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search