SDL Trados Studio 2009 Progress Update
Thread poster: SDL Community

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:39
English
Sep 17, 2009

Dear all,

There has been many posts over the last few months regarding problems that some users have encountered with the recent release of SDL Trados Studio 2009. We at SDL have been working hard to resolve them in the form of a service pack that we hope to release next month.

The feedback we have been getting from our own testing, and from many of you who have kindly agreed to try the Beta Service Pack is very good, and we are confident that this update will ensure a positive customer experience.

Kind regards

Paul Filkin
Client Services Director
SDL Trados Technologies

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
First hand experience Sep 17, 2009

I belong to the beta-team since the first early beta release in Spring this year.
So I have made the experience with early versions of Studio, with Studio RC, then with the released Studio and finally I was also granted access to SP1 in various stages.
While I can confirm many of issues reprted here and elswhere with the released version of Studio, so I must also confirm that SP1 is (nearly) free of all those.

The current version of Studio Service Pack I am using since apprx. one week is working very stable with NO crashes. The Copy&Paste option is working with no problem at all.
So I really can confirm SDL is on the best way to provide you soon with a good solution for (nearly) all problems. Of course I can't test and report every single feature of Studio. But everything I wanted to do with Studio has been working fine since I have SP1.

Best regards
Jerzy

julienwp
France
English to French
Good news Sep 17, 2009

Paul, Jerzy,

Thanks for the good news. Will the duplicate segment issue be fixed? I'm still getting duplicates (99% matches) whenever I edit a segment with tags... This is very frustrating

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 01:39
English to Portuguese
Rock-solid on my Windows 7 64-bit Sep 17, 2009

I also have been using the latest Service Pack 1 Beta in production and it is really stable: not a single problem arose translating a package comprising 530 XML files totalling 145,000 words using a 600,000 TU memory imported from Workbench.

Gone are the problems I experienced with Studio: they have all been ironed out by SDL, specially considering that I have had some additional ones specific to Windows Seven 64-bit, my work environment.

Studio 2009 SP1 Beta has become my production software: Suite Freelance 2007 is used just to create the TTXs for the clients that demand legacy bilinguals.

Edric

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Duplicate segments issue seems to be fixed Sep 17, 2009

As far I can test that, I do not get duplicate segments anymore.
And what I forget to tell:
I'm working on Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit - Studio, Multiterm, Multiterm Convert, Suite and Synergy alltogether work with no slightest problem.

I was also able to install Suite and Studio on a Windows XP downgraded Sony Vaio VGN P11Z with just an Intel Atom 1,33 GHz. I also managed to get the software on the same machine with Win Vista, but I dropped that due to ridiculous performance. With Vista this small machine wasn't even able to play a video smoothly. Now with XP it is simply a small nice travel equipment for fun & work.

Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
Upgrading the netbook for Studio Sep 17, 2009

I was also able to install Suite and Studio on a Windows XP downgraded Sony Vaio VGN P11Z with just an Intel Atom 1,33 GHz.

Hi Jerzy

And you bought the Vaio P...

I highly recommend you to upgrade the XP in your netbook to Windows Seven Home Basic: extremely stable and has no Aero and other fancy graphics to overload the system.

I installed Studio in a Asus Eee PC 1000H 1 GB RAM with XP, worked OK. Then I replaced everything for Windows 7 Home Basic and upgraded the memory to 2 GB: Studio runs even better, and I have all advantages of modernity without the overload of fancy graphics.

Best regards

Edric

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Studio netbooking Sep 17, 2009

I will get Windoes 7 Home Premium for the Vaio, as the upgrade is only possible to the same version.
How shall I get the basic 7?
Sorry for OT.

Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
Studio 2009 in Win7 Sep 17, 2009

How shall I get the basic 7?
Sorry for OT.

Hi Jerzy

Home Basic is Home Premium without Aero (partially), Multi-Touch, Premium Games and Windows Media Center. If you get your upgrade and remove/disable those features, you have Home Basic.

You don't get more or less performance from each of the Win7 flavors, but more or less features that, if used, will penalyze the system.

Leave them there: you system performance won't suffer unless you run them. Just more files left dormant in you Vaio P's hard drive...

BTW, Vaio P has the necessary punch to run Home Premium fine!

Best regards

Edric

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Seems to be okay Sep 18, 2009

Hi all,
SP1 seems to have resolved most issues. In fact, the only issue I have is that I can't install MultiTerm 2009 SP1 on Vista 32 (running with administrator rights). I always get the "Index out of bounds message" once MT 2009 itself starts installing.

Otherwise, SP1 seems to be very stable indeed, it only takes a little bit too long to install. But AFAIK that's a known issue SDL are working on.

julienwp
France
English to French
Solved! Sep 18, 2009

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

As far I can test that, I do not get duplicate segments anymore.

Jerzy,

I just installed SP1 beta. Everything looks fine now... No more duplicates! Studio is very stable: no more crashes every ten minutes

Paul, thanks again for your help.

Regards.

Wladyslaw Janowski  Identity Verified
German to Polish
+ ...
A great step forward :))) Sep 18, 2009

I have installed SP1 Beta IB19 yesterday and what I can tell is, that virtually all issues I have reported as to the initial release disappeared. The code seems to be streamlined - both Studio 2009 and (especially) MultiTerm 2009 are starting and working faster. MultiTerm 2009 cooperates now without problems with Workbench 2007, whereas I still ca'nt see the term search window opening in TagEditor. Automatic term search in Studio seems still not to work correctly, but manual term search is possible.
I'm sure, we are very close to have the final, stable, fast, reliable and comfortable software))
Regards to all other testing people and to SDL developers))
Wladyslaw

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
my experience with sp1 beta Sep 18, 2009

I've been trying SP1 beta for about 10 days now, and after ironing out a few hiccups with excellent SDL support (emails and a webinar session) I can now confirm that Studio is miles better that Suite 2007.
The initial release was almost unusable, with countless crashes. I even had days when I couldn't write more than half a sentence...
And the ctrl© was a disaster, simply disappearing after working for about an hour.
However, these big issues have been solved with SP1, so here are the reasons why I will be sticking to Studio from now on:

I love the autosuggest. OK, it offers the wrong thing sometimes, but usually I am impressed with its "intelligence".

I love the friendly editor view, especially after working with Tag Editor for several years. "Go to" next untranslated segment, or segment no. X, are really useful. "Display all segments with a certain word in the target/source" is helpful when you want to find & replace a term at the same time as seeing its context.

I find it useful to see wrong spellings being underlined as I work, and warning signs coming up if I've left extra spaces, etc.

By far the biggest drawback for me, as I've mentioned in other threads, is not being to save in ttx unless I've converted the doc to ttx in Tag Editor before I start to work.
All my clients, without exceptions, are still using Trados Suite, so I have to deliver in ttx.
...Maybe that will be solved with SP2...

Joel Earnest
Swedish to English
IB20 just released for beta testing Sep 18, 2009

Just received e-mail from Paul--IB20 is now available for download to beta testers.

I sometimes had an unusual problem (reported only by me and a user in South America) of not being able to save after previewing. Going to be interesting to see how that works in the new build. As I understand it, the programmers have fixed that particular problem.

hhl
English to German
Studio+Multiterm SP1 Beta Sep 19, 2009

SIMPLY FANTASTIC!
Terminology work has never before been so easy and fast. Just define a Hotkey for "Add Term", and adding a new term to the database is a snap. And with SP1 Beta, speed is great.
Congratulations to the SDL Trados team for this functionality, and the dramatic improvement they have achieved with SP1!

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 22:39
Spanish
+ ...
My experience with SP1 Sep 19, 2009

SP1 seems to be great improvement over the release version. I have to say though, the release version was never too problematic for me, I did have all the bugs but I never experienced the crippling crashes others kept reporting. Many of the most important bugs are gone, and those that still remain in IB19 have been identified and probably are fixed in IB20 or will be in SP2. There are still some obscure bugs but they're really hard to come by, so I doubt they will be much of a problem.

By the way, this is not a bug but it does bother me, the statical information (user count, last used on, etc.) is no longer automatically displayed in the Editor view, the pointer must be hovered on the yellow stripe under the TM results. So I was advised to add it to ideas, I'll do that and post it here, maybe it can be added to SP2.

Thank you Edric for the feedback on Studio working from a netbook, I'm holding off getting a netbook until Windows 7 is out so I won't have to buy the update separately. It's good to know that Studio will work in such a limited environment.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados Studio 2009 Progress Update

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search