Thread poster: Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 18, 2009

I have only used Trados Freelance 2007.
I have an Excel document to translate and I cannot find how to add the Trados Menu tabs in Excel.
I know it's a stupid question, but I'd appreciate any help.

Direct link Reply with quote

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:39
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
File Formats Reference Guide Sep 18, 2009

Dear Jose,

you should read the documentation that came with Trados, especially the "File Formats Reference Guide", chapter 11. In short: You don't translate within Excel, but use TagEditor.

Kind regards,
Erik

Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Erik Sep 18, 2009

Thank you Erik.
The truth is that I've only used Trados in Word and I thought you could include a Trados menu tab in Excel like in Word.
I tried with TagEditor and it works fine. thanks again!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:39
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A quick hint that could save you time Sep 19, 2009

Just a quick hint about TagEditor and Excel: if there are columns or rows you don't have to translate, hide them in Excel before opening the file in TagEditor, so that you don't have to see them. You can unhide the columns or rows again in the target file. By hiding the non-translatables, you can also obtain a reliable Trados analysis from the file.

Hence, if a customer gives you a file with a column in the source text and wants you to add another column with the translation, copy the source column to a new column, hide the source column, and open the file in TagEditor.

You might already know all this, but I thought I'd tell you just in case! Good luck!

Mexico
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Tomás Sep 19, 2009

Thank you very much.
It is useful information. I constantly get translations from a client of Excel files with lots of columns,and he adds a column headed "Spanish Translation", which is the only column in which I write. I have not used Trados with this client, but now I will.

Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I start working with Excel?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search