Word 2003 doc (very large, with lots of pictures (28,533 Ko) is 2/3 translated keeps crashing
Thread poster: Jenny Duthie

Jenny Duthie  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:12
French to English
Sep 20, 2009

Help, au secours! I'm working on a Word doc (2003) which has lots of pictures. I've translated about 2/3 of it in Workbench ((Trados 2007) with no problems at all but suddenly it got stuck on a particular sentence and the segment would not open and Word crashed. It kept bringing up the dreaded {} symbol, I have tried everything. I have tried Fix document in Trados, nothing happens, no segment, no error message, the Word doc just crashes and I have to use my task manager to close it, whereupon it says "this programme isn't responding," and when I reopen Word it has the same problem, I've tried removing that particular sentence, but he Word doc still crashed when I click either "open" or "open/ get" without any segment appearing in the Workbench window, and the symbol above does not even appear anymore, and "Fix Document" makes no difference. So I tried opening the source document again, and doing "open/get" then "fuzzy", after all everything is in the TM, but the Word doc crashes again, even when I opened a new version of the source doc with the troublesome sentence deleted!! I've tried rebooting the whole PC to no avail, it seems that this Word document has become corrupt, as it just crashes an crashes, but how to solve the problem? I might have to convert it to Powerpoint and translate it with TagEditor but don't know if this is possible!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Enote  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:12
Member (2007)
English to Russian
try this Sep 20, 2009

1. At first I recommend use Tag Editor instead of Word Trados macros.
2. If it's impossible you should simplify your task. Convert you original file into plain text, translate it and then insert translation back in Word layout.
Good luck

Enote  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Russian
and more advice Sep 20, 2009

1. Open your original file (not translation) in Tag Editor.
You already have TM, so you can quickly advance through "translated" part of file.

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks very much will try these Sep 20, 2009

Thank you so much these are very helpful suggesions, I'm sure one of them will work, yes I think it is to do with the fact that the Word file is so big and so full of pictures etc, thanks again, I will let you know if it works!!

Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
What resolution are the images? Sep 20, 2009

It’s been a while, but I think Word 2003 also has the option of compressing the images. As our sources are often extracted from PDFs the pictures tends to be very large (in bytes). You can use 90 or 75 dpi without loss of resolution neither on the screen nor in print.

I don’t remember the procedure for Word 2003, but you can for sure find it in the help function.

Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:12
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Delete de images Sep 20, 2009

Hi Jenny,

I´d translate such a document in TagEditor but, if your client insist to have a bilingual doc file make a copy of your source file, delete all the images and then translate it in Word.
After you have translated it, just paste the images in place either in the bilingual or the cleaned file.

That´s what I do with Word files full of images. Even if Word doesn´t crash while translating, it may crash when you try to clean it wih TWB.

Regards,
Marina

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Now TagEditor will not open!! Sep 20, 2009

thanks again for all your suggestions, but now TagEditor will not open at all!!!!

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 12:12
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Other suggestions for fixing the Word document, keeping the images Sep 20, 2009

Alternatively:

1) Open the Word document in OpenOffice (which is free) and save it again in Word format

or

2) Save the Word document as html; then open the html in Word and save it as .doc

or

3) Unload and use two very handy templates: CodeZapper and FormatFixer, from http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/files/. They will suppress any superfluous coding from the Word file. Particularly, the ImagesOut function of CodeZapper will allow you automatically extract the images of the Word file to a separate file; the ImagesIn function wiill allow you to automatically reinsert the extracted images once you finish the translation.

Saludos

France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks TagEditor is working now! Sep 20, 2009

Thanks to all for your extremely helpful suggestions, Jorge, I think you and I are going to be friends given you helped last time too) I'm doing it in TagEditor now and it's much easier without all the graphics etc, should have thought of that before!!

Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Word 2003 doc (very large, with lots of pictures (28,533 Ko) is 2/3 translated keeps crashing Sep 20, 2009

a) Create a backup of your MS-Word file
b) Goto Necco's page http://www.necco.ca/dv/word_macros.htm
c) Download Miri Ofek's macro www.necco.ca/dv/macros/word/imagesoutin.zip and follow the specified instructions.

This will allow to extract near all the images from your files, save them in another file, and reinstall them once the file has been translated.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2003 doc (very large, with lots of pictures (28,533 Ko) is 2/3 translated keeps crashing

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search