Install Trados license on new PC
Thread poster: Joanied
Joanied
Joanied
Spanish to English
Sep 20, 2009

My old computer with Trados Frelance 2007 died, so I could not uninstall the prorgam.
I now have a new PC and need to install Trados on this one- help?

I have the activation code I used when I purchased it about a year ago (online download). But I cant seem to find the right answer on the website!

thanks!

Nicolas Coyer (X)
Nicolas Coyer (X)  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 04:09
Spanish to French
+ ...
contact SDL Sep 20, 2009

Hi,

You might have to contact SDL directly and request them to remove your old computer registration from their license servers because the normal process would be to return the license (to the server) via the SDL TRADOS License Manager from your computer, before moving it to another machine.

Good luck!
Nicolas

Joanied wrote:

My old computer with Trados Frelance 2007 died, so I could not uninstall the prorgam.
I now have a new PC and need to install Trados on this one- help?

I have the activation code I used when I purchased it about a year ago (online download). But I cant seem to find the right answer on the website!

thanks!

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:09
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is exactly why... Sep 20, 2009

...I did not like the activation system via server when they implemented it. To me it was a lot easier to grab my physical dongle and continue to work on my laptop of another machine when I needed it, and quite simply the risk of losing the license because a disk failure did not exist.

Good luck convincing SDL that they should reactivate your license! I reckon you won't have a problem these days, as SDL have to make a big marketing effort after the mess of SDL Studio 2009...... See more
...I did not like the activation system via server when they implemented it. To me it was a lot easier to grab my physical dongle and continue to work on my laptop of another machine when I needed it, and quite simply the risk of losing the license because a disk failure did not exist.

Good luck convincing SDL that they should reactivate your license! I reckon you won't have a problem these days, as SDL have to make a big marketing effort after the mess of SDL Studio 2009...

[Edited at 2009-09-20 19:08 GMT]
Collapse

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:09
English to Dutch
+ ...
SDL is hiding in its ivory tower Sep 20, 2009

Good luck convincing SDL that they should reactivate your license! I reckon you won't have a problem these days..

To the contrary: it is worse! The last 4 mails I sent through their contact form a few weeks ago have remained unanswered.

In my opinion SDL doesn't give a d*** about freelancers anymore. "Buy Trados and don't bother us with your troubles" is their motto.

You're right about the activation routine, though. It's really, really bad for the customer, makes you totally dependant on the existence of the company and on their goodwill. The way SDL is going, bankruptcy is a serious possibility.

So the only advice I can give you is to demand a licence file. That still works for Trados 2007 and it will make you independent of the whims of SDL managers.

Good luck!

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:09
English to Italian
+ ...
One license=two computers Sep 21, 2009

You have two installations available. Have you actually tried installing it and are you getting an error message?

I have Trados 2007 installed on both my PC and laptop. When my laptop died last year, and I could not return the license, I left a message through SDL's website with all my details asking them to do it for me. I never had a reply but when at last I got a new laptop, the installation went smoothly.

More info:
... See more
You have two installations available. Have you actually tried installing it and are you getting an error message?

I have Trados 2007 installed on both my PC and laptop. When my laptop died last year, and I could not return the license, I left a message through SDL's website with all my details asking them to do it for me. I never had a reply but when at last I got a new laptop, the installation went smoothly.

More info:
http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/87101-trados_is_installed_on_2_pcs_what_if_one_of_them_needs_replacing.html#705305
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados Support team... Sep 21, 2009

Hello,

You are entitled to free installation and licensing support.

If you are experiencing problems with installing or licensing SDL Trados then we recommend you visit our Solution Finder which is designed to help users fix their problems. We urge you to follow the solution finder step by step and, if your problem is not resolved, you will be given a support form to fill out. The support form will then be sent to our support team, who will get back to you as soon as po
... See more
Hello,

You are entitled to free installation and licensing support.

If you are experiencing problems with installing or licensing SDL Trados then we recommend you visit our Solution Finder which is designed to help users fix their problems. We urge you to follow the solution finder step by step and, if your problem is not resolved, you will be given a support form to fill out. The support form will then be sent to our support team, who will get back to you as soon as possible.

To visit the solution finder please follow these instructions:

1. Please visit: https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/default.asp

2. Login with your username and password

3. Go to "My Support"

4. Select "Licensing and Installation Help"

5. Read the instructions and then select the "Solution finder direct link"

6. Select the "Licensing Problems" link in the left hand navigation pane

7. Answer the questions accordingly

Again, you will be given a support form to fill out if you don't find a solution.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team
Collapse

Joanied
Joanied
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
install Trados on new PC Sep 21, 2009

thanks for the tips, everyone. Yes I figured out that I had to go back to the SDL website and I did send an email on the right web form.

Am now waiting for a response from Trados.

Since this is a recognized issue, I assume it will not be a problem.

thanks again,

Giulia Bassi
Giulia Bassi  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
problem solved? Dec 19, 2010

Joanied, did you solve the problem? I have just sent a message to Sdl through the Talisma support!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Install Trados license on new PC

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »