Thread poster: Chris Dawe

Chris Dawe  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:37
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Sep 25, 2009

Folks

I'm getting a Trados error message with a doc I tried to start work on this morning, which I've seen before with several other documents I've worked on, but ages ago. As I process a segment after the Summary table at the beginning, near the top of the doc, Workbench bounces me out and gives the message "Cursor must be in Source or Target field". The cursor then automatically zips up to point 4 in the Summary table on page two. Does anyone remember how to troubleshoot this? I don't know if it's an issue with the document or an issue about how I'm processing the document. Cheers,

Chris

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:37
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Are you trying to translate the TOC? Sep 25, 2009

Just to clarify this, are you saying that you are trying to translate the TOC at the beginning of the file with Trados?

If that is the case, I reckon you should not do that, but instead translate the document and, once it is final, regenerate the TOC with Word. I think Trados will not let you translate lines of the TOC as long as it is a field.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
change to tag editor Sep 25, 2009

I often got the problem you mention

"As I process a segment after the Summary table at the beginning, near the top of the doc, Workbench bounces me out and gives the message "Cursor must be in Source or Target field".

So often, in fact, that I stopped working with Workbench and changed to Tag Editor. I don't think it was related to ToC. but possibly to working with Office 2007???

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ToC Sep 25, 2009

Hi Tomas

Thanks for your kind reply. Nope, it's not the ToC. I know how dodgy those are. I leave well alone. It's the first word after the ToC. Embarrassingly, there are five or six discussions here about this very topic (I didn't bother to look, initially). Apparently, there is a feature in Word called View > Draft, but I'm using Word 2000, and can't find it. Draft mode apparently by-passes this issue. I'm going to keep looking for a minute. Cheers,

Chris

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TagEditor Sep 25, 2009

Hi Emma, hmmmm, I didn't think of that, but can any Word document be run through TagEditor, maybe it's slower than Workbench? Chris.

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
worth getting used to Tag Editor Sep 25, 2009

Yes, any Word doc can be translated with Tag Editor. That way you can be sure that the formatting will be respected in the original.
It takes a little getting used if you haven't used it before, but it's worth it. And it's the only way of translating ppt, excel and other files.
When you're used to it, it's just as quick.

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TagEditor Sep 25, 2009

Thanks Emma. I'd never translated a Word document in TagEditor before. It's pretty smart I must say and the error I had with Workbench isn't being repeated in TagEditor, so it's been fantastic. Thanks for the tip! Chris

Daniel Weston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:37
French to English
+ ...
Use draft mode instead of print mode Sep 26, 2009

If you switch the document in Word to draft view instead of print view, the error will go away. The error is peculiar to tables and bulleted lists. I don't know why.

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Draft mode in Word 2002 Sep 26, 2009

Hi Daniel, thanks very much for the input. Yes, that's what I gathered from the other forum chats on this topic. But do you know where I can find Draft mode in Word 2002? Cheers, Chris.

Daniel Weston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:37
French to English
+ ...
Try page setup Sep 26, 2009

Sorry, I didn't see you were talking about Word 2002. I don't have any computers running that version anymore, but it may be in file, page setup - I can't be certain, but it's worth a try.

As Emma mentioned, Tag Editor is good to get used to for a variety of reasons...

[Edited at 2009-09-26 10:25 GMT]

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Page set-up Sep 26, 2009

Hi, thanks a lot. Nope, it's not in Page set-up. But I'll have a closer inspection later on. Yes, TagEditor is processing this job like a dream come true, it's a little belter Chris.

Ronald van der Linden
Mexico
Local time: 10:37
Dutch to English
+ ...
Word 2007 Oct 20, 2009

Daniel Weston wrote:

If you switch the document in Word to draft view instead of print view, the error will go away. The error is peculiar to tables and bulleted lists. I don't know why.

This tip helped me out in Word 2007. Thanks.

Kavita Peterson
Argentina
Local time: 12:37
Japanese to English
+ ...
Thank you! Aug 3, 2010

I'm glad this issue was posted here. I'd only just started using Trados on my home computer and I got this problem.

The funny thing is, I never had the problem at the centre where I was trained, despite using exactly the same versions of Word and Trados to my understanding.

Still, changing to "Draft" view did help and I can still meet my deadline!

United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci Aug 3, 2010

Excellent, I'm so pleased this string has helped out yet another colleague, these SDL Trados Support strings can quite literally be life savers. 10/10 to ProZ! Chris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error: Cursor must be in Source or Target field

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search