How do I correct tagging errors in files sent by client prior to using them in Trados?
Thread poster: Brandon Wood

Brandon Wood  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:07
Japanese to English
+ ...
Sep 25, 2009

So guys, here I am... I posted here quite a few months ago about the nightmare of a time I was having dealing with Trados and the files/TM supplied to me by a client and now that same client is doing it to me again only this time... it's worse.

Okay, so this is a project translating a huge manual with a very large TM supplied to me (over 25k entries). The TM is full of inconsistencies and even errors in some cases, but we'll ignore that point for now.

The problem is, they've supplied me with bilingual Word files that have already been pre-processed. For some reason they've colored all 100% matches dark green, and 75-99% matches dark yellow and they want me to keep this the same.

They want me to go through these documents that are hundreds of pages long (which btw are UNBEARABLY slow to work with using Trados inside Word 2007) and edit all the partial matches and then translate all no matches.

That's bad enough, but then when I get the files and am ready to start working I find that I am either unable to open segments at all in some files, or am able to open some segments only to be unable to close them afterwards. Using "Fix Document" does nothing to solve the problem and usually only makes it worse.

What do I do? Does this sound like a problem with my Trados software (I'm using 2007 Freelance Suite btw, even though I have Studio 2009 of course it cannot be used for this) or is it a problem with the files they have supplied me?

I already sent them an e-mail about it but since it's the weekend I won't get anything back until Monday and the first batch is due Tuesday... Is there anything I can try besides "Fix Document" to try and fix these source bilingual files?

Also, for further information I tried just cleaning up the files as they were sent to me before touching them at all through the Workbench and I get these three errors in one of the files:

Tagging error "(33206): The mark for delimiting source and target is missing or damaged. " at offset 28946432. Paragraph skipped!

Tagging error "(33203): The {0> mark for starting a translation unit is missing or damaged. " at offset 28946432. Paragraph skipped!

Tagging error "(33203): The {0> mark for starting a translation unit is missing or damaged. " at offset 28950528. Paragraph skipped!

and no errors in the other file, although I still can't open any segments in that file either.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-09-26 06:18 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:07
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Switch Sep 25, 2009

Sounds to me like you might be better off trying this job with a different tool. If the documents aren't fully segmented and you need to translate the rest of the content, you might want to complete that step, then import the lot into something like MemoQ, specifying that unsegmented content also be imported (this might take care of those broken segments, but it'll cover number and dates in any case).

The import might be slow, but the actual work will go quickly enough. You might want to export the TM as TMX and set up a TM in the other tool. When you are done, your output will be an uncleaned Trados file.

This type of process combining various tools is quite commonly used, so it won't be particularly risky for you. If you are worried, you can always do a "round trip" test before you get far. You should be able to get a 45 day fully functional test license for MemoQ rather quickly (necessary to import the big TM or do multiple files in a project, otherwise you can just cut loose and work with the unlicensed product with a single file).

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 06:07
English to Portuguese
You are in Client's hell, instead... Sep 25, 2009

Not a Trados thing, but client's: most probably he sent you corrupted files. One cannot blame the car's manufaturer for it being driven madly, can we?

Unfortunately you Word files seems to have corrupted tagging. No "fix document" for that, but you can toggle tag protection on Trados menu e try to manually add the missing tags. I say try because this is hard, painful e probably will not work in such a large document... Every time I got that and tried to fix manually I threw in the towel and returned to the Client, who always apologized.

If that's the problem, of course...

Good luck

Edric

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:07
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Welcome to the world of CAT-based translation projects! Sep 25, 2009

Greetings from SDL's free online support at no cost for SDL! (I was just trying to be sarcastic.)

Honestly Brandon, the situation you describe is the normal every-day life of every translator working in CAT-based projects. When I read "a very large memory" I thought you'd say 500K segments; 25K segments is more on the small range for most of us...

Now, first let me tell you that I entirely sympathise with your situation and your frustration. Next time, you will probably want to ask the customer NOT TO pretranslate the files at all, as it only makes things worse. A long time ago we had this customer who was addicted to the colours you describe, and it was one of the factors why we stopped working for them: they just could not understand that the colours hardly add any sense to the project but make our life as translators a lot more complicated.

Now, let me try to ease at least one part of your frustration: how to fix the damaged segments.

When you cleanup Word files (I'd advise you to do it in a copy of the files, in a separate folder), what you get the final DOC/DOCX/RTF file in the target version and a BAK file containing the file as it was before cleanup.

If a cleaned file has errors, you can find the offending segment doing an Edit/Find in Word. Look for anything that has the style tw4winError (I assume you know how to search with a style in Word; if you don't, please email me via Proz.com and I will tell you). This should allow you to find the problem. Now all you have to check is that the segment follows the following pattern:

{0>Source textTranslation

Brandon Wood  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 17:07
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 25, 2009

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

Yeah, I know it's not THAT huge but it's part of several TMs I will be working with (altogether will be more than 200k entries).

I did a similar project for the same client before and it was done in TagEditor so I'm requesting to them now that they let me start over with the non-bilingual source files and do the thing in TTX files which would make my life a lot easier.

If not, I'll see what they say about the files being so messed up Monday and go from there. It is not a lot of text to translate so I can easily do it in one day before the deadline of Tuesday.

I'll tinker with it this weekend trying to fix it but I have another project going on as well that I have to devote my attention to so I don't know how much time I'll have for that.

Thanks for the tips though, I'll see what I can do and let you know what happens!

Deborah Hoffman  Identity Verified

Local time: 04:07
Russian to English
+ ...
how does one add them? Nov 27, 2009

"If any of them is missing, add them and do an Open/Get-Set/Close of the segment so that the codes acquire their right styles."

I'm just not finding it in the menus/commands. Thanks!

PS I have now wasted 2 hours of work time trying to fix this problem. I am so sorry I bought this program!

[Редактировалось 2009-11-27 19:15 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:07
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I meant SDL Trados 2007... Nov 27, 2009

Deborah Hoffman wrote:
"If any of them is missing, add them and do an Open/Get-Set/Close of the segment so that the codes acquire their right styles."
I'm just not finding it in the menus/commands. Thanks!
PS I have now wasted 2 hours of work time trying to fix this problem. I am so sorry I bought this program!

Hm... I meant these commands for SDL Trados 2007. I reckon you got SDL Studio 2009? I don't have Studio so I can't tell you what to do exactly.

If you are in fact using Word and SDL Trados 2007, you should see a menu called "Trados" in the menu bar, and there you should see the command.

Tell us what SDL product you have exactly in case I can help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do I correct tagging errors in files sent by client prior to using them in Trados?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search