Favorite Trados companion software
Thread poster: Joel Earnest

Joel Earnest
Local time: 00:02
Swedish to English
Sep 27, 2009

Some of these are specific to my languarge pair--Swedish to English.

WordWeb: An English thesaurus/dictionary program for looking up hghlighted words. Freeware. (http://wordweb.info/)

intelliWebSearch: A program for conducting Internet searches of highlighted words/phrases using the search engines of your choice. Can be set to place quotation marks around the search terms. Freeware. (http://www.intelliwebsearch.com/)

Free NaturalReader: Reads English text aloud. Freeware. (http://www.naturalreaders.com/)

Wordfinder: Swedish to English dictionary program. (http://www.wordfinder.com/)

Direct link Reply with quote

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 19:02
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanls! Sep 28, 2009

I'll try Naturalreader. It might be a great tool for proofreading myself.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:02
Flemish to English
+ ...
Text-to-speech Sep 28, 2009

Very useful. Is there also a program which converts recorded speeches to text?

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Speech conversion Sep 28, 2009

Williamson wrote:
Very useful. Is there also a program which converts recorded speeches to text?

There is Dragon Naturally Speaking. Uhm, I wonder if it can work with Czech. Have asked on their website but nobody has even bothered to reply.

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:02
Flemish to English
+ ...
Version Sep 28, 2009

Which version of Dragon Dictate and which voice-recorder is compatible with DD?

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Trados Studio and Dragon Oct 6, 2009

I'm thinking about buying Dragon Preferred and would like to hear about anyone's experience with Studio 2009 and Dragon.

I type pretty fast so I don't know whether it would be worth it in my case, but I'd like to know first of all if the 2 applications work well together, if there are any problems with memory limits (big files in Trados / hours of speech in Dragon).

Would I still be very tied to the keyboard (confirm and move to next segment, etc.) - and even italics and bold?

Any comments welcome.

Tom Fennell
United States
Local time: 17:02
Russian to English
+ ...
Speed isn't the main thing Nov 9, 2009

I also type fast, and Dragon is slightly faster, but after buying it I realized there is a much more important reason for buying it.

My body.

My shoulder and back are offering me daily praise and thanksgiving for liberating them from the tyranny of the keyboard and even worse, the dreaded, horrid mouse.

Typing 4,000-7,000 words a day takes a definite toll on the body, and using voice recognition is an entirely different experience.

Dragon does not work as well in Trados (I am using 2007, preparing to migrate to Studio) as an its "standard applications" Word, Outlook etc., but it is still a major leap forward in professional ergonomics.

Even without a major speech gain, I would never go back to abusing myself with a keyboard and mouse.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Favorite Trados companion software

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search