Why can't I create a .txt file from my translations done in SDLX?
Thread poster: Katrin Lueke

Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:15
Member (2006)
English to German
Sep 28, 2009

Hello,

I have translated ten small MS Word documents with SDLX (I own MS Office XP and SDL Trados 2007 Freelance).

Now I want to send the agency I work for on this project my TM in a format they can use to merge with the other translators' TMs. The other translators use Trados. So I was asked to send my TM as .txt file. Then we will all get the TM to work on the files due for this week, send the translations with our TM and get the updated TM together with the work for next week and so on. The project will go on for five weeks.

I searched the SDLX documentation "How to Import Export to Trados". On page 12 it says "Exporting individual itd files to Trados". I do as they say: I open the itd file and choose File / Trados / Export to Trados. But then a message shows up: "Export to Trados is only supported for RTF, HTML, XML/SGML, and MIF format source files".

So I tried page 13, where it says "Exporting Multiple itd files to Trados". I open the itd, go to File / Trados / Export file list to Trados. I set the languages for source and translation. I try to add the ten itd files. And then I get the message "Files were not added due to file type mismatches".

What can I do to create a .txt file from my translations done in SDLX?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks and best regards,
Katrin

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Open Maintain Sep 28, 2009

Hello Katrin,

you can export your SDLX TM as a *.txt. Open the module Maintain, the TM you used for translating the files, then from the TM dropdown menu choose Export -> Trados, follow the wizard and then when you come to the window with the Browse button, click on it and enter the name of the txt (*txt format is normally pre-defined) and then save it.

Alternatively, within the Edit module you can choose "Export file list to Trados.." in the File dropdown menu, it will be saved as *txt. The Trados -> Export to Trados is not possible if the files were pre-segmented in Trados.

Giuliana

Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! But I got a warning... Sep 28, 2009

Dear Giuliana,

Thank you very much for your fast response and your help.

While following your instructions, I received a warning:

Export Wizard - Trados Export Warning
The preferred method for exporting SDLX data to a format acceptable by Trados is the "Export File list to Trados" function.

I ignored the warning and was able to create a .txt file.
But can I send it to the agency? I am a bit worried what this warning means?

When I follow your alternative instructions (Edit module and Export file list) it does not work. I always get the message "Files were not added due to file type mismatches".

I do not think the files were presegmented in Trados - I got them as Word documents.

Thanks again and best regards,
Katrin

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
No problem AFAIK Sep 28, 2009

Dear Katrin,

I happen to see that warning as well, but translation units have always been exported correctly.

As to the other message... hmm, did you change anything in the file format or have you set the correct format before creating the itd files?

Before translating did you set "Trados Default Style" in SDLX Edit?
Actually, if you really don't like to translate using TWB, you can pre-translate the files in TWB, translate them in SDLX and create the translation file, which will be uncleaned Trados files and then clean them in TWB and finally export directly from TWB the *txt. Just in case you are asked to deliver bilingual files....

It's a long time-consuming way (having Trados, I wouldn't dream of going down this path), but acceptable for colleagues, who do not like to translate using Trados

Giuliana

[Edited at 2009-09-28 11:19 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why can't I create a .txt file from my translations done in SDLX?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search