Thread poster: Urrestarazu

Urrestarazu  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:44
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Sep 28, 2009

Hello, I've just upgraded to Studio 2009 and the programs requires that I uninstall MultiTerm 2007.

I will need, during the transition period to Studio 2009, to use both systems, SDL Trados 2007 and Studio 2009 (I can't lose time migrating every job, TM and INI file I receive!).

To to be able to migrate all the "old" files to Studio 2009, I need SDL Trados 2007 installed.

Now my question is: will SDL Trados 2007 stand MultiTerm 2009? Or is it possible to install both MultiTerm 2007 and 2009 on the same PC?

Direct link

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Yep Sep 28, 2009

Urrestarazu wrote:

ow my question is: will SDL Trados 2007 stand MultiTerm 2009? [/quote]
Yes.
MT2009 works well with T2007 Suite.
Except the Synergy crap which still points to MT2007 components.
The same with the terminology QA checker in TagEditor.
AFAIK, a patch is on the road.

Or is it possible to install both MultiTerm 2007 and 2009 on the same PC?

Technically, it's possible but MT2007 will no longer work with T2007.
Simply, uninstall it.
Backup and reimport your existing termbases.

Cheers
GG

Direct link

Urrestarazu  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 29, 2009

That's good news. Excellent! Thank you

Direct link

T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Multiterm 2009 cannot connect to Multiterm Server Sep 29, 2009

Hi Urrestarazu,

Please note that if you work with client using Multiterm Server you need to have MultiTerm 2007 installed on the PC, and so you have to not install/unistall Studio.

I don't know whether this problem has been or will be resolved...Anybody?

Renato

Direct link

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
MT Server Sep 29, 2009

Renato Renno wrote:

Please note that if you work with client using Multiterm Server you need to have MultiTerm 2007 installed on the PC, and so you have to not install/unistall Studio.

You're right.
But MT Server is not very frequent in the real life.

I don't know whether this problem has been or will be resolved...Anybody?

IMHO it will remain unresolved.
The MT Server 2007 will be simply replaced by MT Server 2009.

Cheers
GG

Direct link

T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
MT Server 2007 -> 2009 Sep 29, 2009

Thanks Grzegorz!

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:
You're right.
But MT Server is not very frequent in the real life.

...well actually I have 3 big clients using it (and one of them produced the notebook I'm working on)

IMHO it will remain unresolved.
The MT Server 2007 will be simply replaced by MT Server 2009.
Cheers
GG

I think so too...The new TM and MultiTerm Servers (2009) will start working in 2010...and who knows when the big clients will adopt them!

If you think that that the notebook producer I have just mentioned has just stepped to Synergy (yes Synergy, this year!), it will take a decade to see Studio and MT 2009 packages in my Inbox...

Untill then - and provided this will happen before the end of the world expected by Dec 21st, 2012 - I should install and uninstall Studio, in order to work with it...Wow!

Anybody having different info?

[Modificato alle 2009-09-29 23:06 GMT]

Direct link

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
MT2007 Compatability Sep 29, 2009

Renato Renno wrote:

Hi Renato,

I can tell you that we are looking at introducing a mechanism into SP1 that will allow you to use MT2007 with MT2007 Server even though you have Studio 2009 and/or MT 2009 installed. This will enable users to take advantage of Studio without having to lose this ability for Clients who have not stepped up to MT Server 2009 yet.

I can confirm later if we manage to successfully achieve this in time.

Kind regards

Paul Filkin
SDL Support

Direct link

T F F  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Thanks Paul, but Sep 29, 2009

SDL Support wrote:

Renato Renno wrote:

Hi Renato,

I can tell you that we are looking at introducing a mechanism into SP1 that will allow you to use MT2007 with MT2007 Server even though you have Studio 2009 and/or MT 2009 installed. This will enable users to take advantage of Studio without having to lose this ability for Clients who have not stepped up to MT Server 2009 yet.

I can confirm later if we manage to successfully achieve this in time.

Kind regards

Paul Filkin
SDL Support

Thanks for your answer Paul!

When things go wrong, it's always a pleasure to know that help is on the way...

Unfortunately IMVMO you are working on the wrong way: you have generated a new software (MT2009), but you're doing hard ("impossible", in the opinion of Grzegorz) work to let the old software (MT2007) work in the future...Quite strange?!

MT 2009 should work with MT Server 2007, or MT Server has to keep abreast of the times...Otherwise I see one step forward and two backward!

Honestly, I would have prefereed to read that the MultiTerm Server 2009 will be released soon and - thanks to your new incredible marketing plan - it will be sold out within months, So that the new technology (2009) will be available soon for everybody (LSP and freelancers)...But it seems you're preparing for a long wait instead! Really sad, for me wanting to use ONE environment!

My 2 cents!
RR

Direct link

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Phew.... Sep 29, 2009

Hi both,

A very tough audience in this forum, but I am trying to help..!

GG has explained very well just some of the difficulties in trying to handle backwards compatibility, but I think I should clarify what we are discussing.

My post referred to introducing a mechanism into SP1 that will allow you to use MT2007 with MT2007 Server even though you have Studio 2009 and/or MT 2009 installed.

It is perfectly possible now to have MT2007 and MT2009 on the same machine. What you cannot do is run them at the same time and you would have to register various components in advance everytime you wanted to switch from one to the other, and because Studio also uses MT2009 components this would mean doing the same thing everytime you went from using MT2007 to using Studio.

We will use this ability to ensure that users who need to connect to a MT Server 2007 will be able to do so from MT Desktop 2007 without having to jump through these hoops themselves. We will not, as GG pointed out, try to do the impractical.

This is a measure we are introducing to make it possible for users who need this facility to continue using it as they always have without having to forgo the benefits of the upgrade to Studio and MT 2009.

I hope this is a little clearer.

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

Direct link

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Locking the thread Sep 29, 2009

Hi all,

I am locking the thread now, as the question seems to have been addressed, and it does not appear that further discussion will be fruitful.

Astrid

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm 2009, SDL Trados 2007 and Studio 2009

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search