https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/146698-change_of_font_size_in_trados_7.html

Change of font size in TRADOS 7
Thread poster: Beatriz Rodeiro
Beatriz Rodeiro
Beatriz Rodeiro  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 29, 2009

Hello,

I have a little problem that is driving me crazy! Sometimes when Trados Workbench finds a match, the font size changes and it's smaller than the source text. I cannot find any options to change this, anyone has any ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance and best regards,

Beatriz

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
AFAIK Sep 29, 2009

This is a well-known glitch from Trados, which will change the current font to MS Mincho. There is no other way of coping with this other than to change this MS Mincho to the current font of your document. Any other advice/workaround/etc. welcome.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Use TE Sep 29, 2009

Hi Beatriz and Laurent,
I believe using the TagEditor environment could be the right solution for you. AFAIK, this is not a Trados, but rather a Word bug. But I may be exactly wrong about this one.

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Agreed Sep 29, 2009

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

Hi Beatriz and Laurent,
I believe using the TagEditor environment could be the right solution for you. AFAIK, this is not a Trados, but rather a Word bug. But I may be exactly wrong about this one.

The MS word environment is just the right place for harmless translations in current formats.

@Beatriz: try out TagEditor (needless to say, you can also use your WB TM's in it) if the source file is not some itzy-bitzy OCR converted MS Word file.

Beatriz Rodeiro
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Sep 29, 2009

thanks Laurent and Stanislav, but I forgot to mention that I am already using TagEditor

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Don't worry then Sep 30, 2009

Hi Beatriz,
you needn't worry then. It is not the actual graphic representation of the font (i.e. as it appears on the screen) that determines the font size, but rather the tags that surround it. You will notice, that once you export the target file, all fonts will be perfectly okay, provided you don't omit any tags.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why is it a problem? Sep 30, 2009

Unless it makes the text more difficult to read and you don't want that (I honestly don't know any solution for this), please remember that what you see in TagEditor on-screen is just a non-perfect attempt to reflect the format of the actual text in Word. TagEditor does not always succeed in representing formats and sizes properly, specially if you work around tags to write your translation.

So as I said, unless it just bothers you, I see no option but to cope with whatever TagEdito
... See more
Unless it makes the text more difficult to read and you don't want that (I honestly don't know any solution for this), please remember that what you see in TagEditor on-screen is just a non-perfect attempt to reflect the format of the actual text in Word. TagEditor does not always succeed in representing formats and sizes properly, specially if you work around tags to write your translation.

So as I said, unless it just bothers you, I see no option but to cope with whatever TagEditor may display. The final target document will look nice as long as you worked with the tags wisely.
Collapse

Beatriz Rodeiro
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Target preview Sep 30, 2009

Thanks again Stanislav and Tomás. I guess it won't be a problem then and I can deliver the file just like this. It would be good to check the outcome with Target preview but when I hit that tab the following message comes up: Unable to locate original file. Please copy this original file into the directory above and try again.

But the file is already in that path!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Change of font size in TRADOS 7

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »