Thread poster: Susan McDonald

Susan McDonald  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:25
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Sep 30, 2009

Hi there - please forgive me if this question has been answered before, but I cannot find a reference to it in the forums.

I have just acquired SDL Studio 2009 - up till now I have been using Wordfast Classic. I have a large volume of regular work from a client and have built up a TM of 37,500 units. I have exported this TM to a TMX file, but when I try to import it into a new TM in Trados, I get an error message:

The translation memory "xxxxx" could not be loaded: "=' is an unexpected token. The expected token is ';'. Line 3267, position 86.'.

Is there any way I can fix this by editing the TMX? I have tried to find TMX editors but to no avail (maybe I'm being stupid here!) so I wondered if anyone more experienced could shed some light on this matter?

Many thanks in anticipation!

Susan

Direct link Reply with quote

GermanTransl
United States
Local time: 16:25
English to German
+ ...
I have exactly the same error Jul 4, 2011

Trying to import a Wordfast TM that was exported to TMX.

Can anyone help?

sandymess  Identity Verified
Cameroon
Local time: 21:25
English to French
+ ...
Please provide solution! Jul 4, 2011

I am also conccern, so I add my voice to this request. Can somebody provide any solution?

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Save the Header of the TMX of Studio for later usage Jul 4, 2011

Hi Susan, Hi German,

I often switch TMX memories from Studio to/from other CAT tools.

The simplest method to avoid import crashes is to save the header of an exported Studio TM for later usage and then replace the header in the TMX to be imported.

Sounds complicated? Here is one possible header file from an exported TMX of Studio beginning with the very first character:

[Sorry, I have tryed to reproduce it but this forum doesn't allow HTML codes;
you must copy and save from the very first character of your TMX until the closing header tag.]

Just go in the TMX you want to import and replace it with this header. The creation date and the TMName don't matter because all segments (sentences) will have the one of your imported TMX and not the one shown here.

With this procedure, you will be able to import all language sentences, but NOT any attributes.
In order to also import attributes, you must export one of your Studio TM and also save the relevant attribute codes to be used later on.

As an example, my attribute codes for Studio are as follow:

OK, same story as above: no HTML tags allowed... I just take away all parenthesis, but I figure out you understand...

prop type="x-Subject:MultipleString"
prop type="x-Project:MultipleString"
prop type="x-Domain:MultiplePicklist"
prop type="x-Client:MultiplePicklist"

You may of course have different attributes and structure, so find out what your codes are.
You will then have to Search/Replace these codes in the TMX to be imported.

Tip: For not making this dance more than once and for handling very large TMs, it's recommended that you use a powerful text editor like UltraEdit, where you can also make macros for these operations.

I hope this helps,

Greets,
Mike

P.S
Btw, in this text you can replace "Studio" with any other CAT tool

[Edited at 2011-07-04 02:42 GMT]

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
TMX editor: Olifant... Jul 4, 2011

...from Okapi tools (freeware) has many features to maintain a TM.
Be sure to use the "default" template when exporting, also use "export" rather than "save as".

Mike

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Unlikely to be the issue Jul 4, 2011

MikeTrans wrote:

Hi Susan, Hi German,

I often switch TMX memories from Studio to/from other CAT tools.

The simplest method to avoid import crashes is to save the header of an exported Studio TM for later usage and then replace the header in the TMX to be imported.

While this could solve some TMX import problems in a very limited number or scenarios, it will almost certainly be of no help in this case.
The error message, cryptic as it is to the average user, clearly seems to point to a malformed character reference, most probably an ampersand that is present as a literal ampersand instead of &. Studio complains about the lack of the closing ; which is compulsory in all character references.
The way to fix it is to open the TMX in a text editor and look for a & character in it. It should be in the line indicated by the Studio error message.

In TMX, the & character can essentially only occur as:
&
"
<
>
'

If there is an & in your TMX that's not part of the 5 strings above, you need to fix it. If it should appear as an ampersand in the final translation, change it to & and save the file.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Workbench Jul 4, 2011

BTW, TMX import/export in Workbench is much more reliable and error-tolerant than Studio's TMX handling. When you run into problems like this, you can always try to import the TMX to WB in T2007 and reexport or upgrade the TM.

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
One must know about TMX basics, Jul 4, 2011

Farkas,
I could provide you with a 2 page dissertation about intricacies of TMX and the wrong implementation by the developer's of most CAT tools.
I think if one has indepth knowledge of about how TMX works, he'll be able to adapt any TM with the right tools, in this case: Olifant and UltraEdit.

For the remaining problems, they must find out themselves. Learning is better than solving fast, also because I don't want to respond such 500 posts to come.

Mike

[Edited at 2011-07-04 21:37 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Dissertations and error messages Jul 4, 2011

MikeTrans wrote:

I could provide you with a 2 page dissertation about intricacies of TMX and the wrong implementation by the developer's of most CAT tools.

In that case, why not give the OP an explanation about the error message they're receiving and propose a targeted solution instead of suggesting to replace the entire header, which could possibly mess up a few things and is unlikely to fix the problem on hand? Apart from the fact that the error message suggests a malformed character reference in the body, it also references line 3267, which could hardly be part of the header.
This is almost certainly the same & vs. &amp; issue that Adam Bojan posted about: [< '] is not allowed .... the expected symbol is [;]
Some TMX import filters tolerate a literal & being present in the text in itself and interpret it as if it was &amp;, while others, like Studio, do not. I'm not sure if the TMX spec says anything about the issue either way. A prudent TMX generator should certainly use &amp;, but apparently WF Classic is not prudent.

Full disclosure: I've read most of the TMX spec, done a bit of troubleshooting on a number of TMX-related issues and written a TMX generator.

[Edited at 2011-07-04 22:15 GMT]

MikeTrans
Germany
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
sorry, a bit crude.. Jul 4, 2011

please just oversee my very last statement. The fact is I'm in very bad mood at the moment and the word Trados or Studio is rather sending me up-chair. I had 2-3 errors, of course at the same time, and yes at 3 in the morning, and yes just when I finished to get indepth and resolving the last one...

I think most people will recognize Trados here..., but as I said elsewhere: there are some power-ups...

Greets,
Mike

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems importing .tmx into Trados

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search