Thread poster: Adrián Morgollón

Adrián Morgollón
Spain
Local time: 00:08
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 30, 2009

Hello everyone. I didn't know where to make this query so I'll do it here (please move my query if necessary).
I have the following problem: Some months ago I created a TM in Trados 7 with the languages pair English>Spanish but in fact I was translating Spanish>English. I ignore it because it didn't mean a problem initially. The thing is that now I need to import another TM with the language pair Spanish>English into my TM but as they have different language pairs, when I import one into another, it does not work correctly.
I'd like to know if there is any to way to exchange the languages of the segments of my initial TM so I am able to import the new TM into this one.
Thanks in advance and sorry again if I am not using the proper place to make my query.

Direct link Reply with quote

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Ways to reverse your TM Sep 30, 2009

Hi Mandu,

I can tell you two ways that I know of, and there may be others from users out there. the first requires you to have SDL Trados Studio 2009. In here you can take a Studio TM, say en(US)-de(DE) and export it to tmx. Then create a new empty TM called de(DE)-en(US) with the correct source and language settings you want and simply import the tmx back in. You will now have the languages the other way around.

The other way I know of is to use something like Olifant which is an open source tool and you can quite easily reverse the language direction of a tmx in there.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

Adrián Morgollón
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't know how to do it Sep 30, 2009

Thank you for you r help Paul. Regarding the first solution, I have already tried doing it by using Trados 7 (the same process that you suggest). Maybe the result is satisfactory with SDL Trados Studio 2009 but it is not with Trados 7.
As for your second solution, could you indicate me how to do it? I have been looking through Olifant and I haven't found any option to reverse the language direction of my TM.
Regards

United Kingdom
English
I hope no-one is watching ;-) Sep 30, 2009

Hi Mandu,

I'm not that familiar with Olifant, but the help tells you this.

To reverse the source and target language of a TM:

1. Just select the language you want as the source in the Source drop-down list in the toolbar. Next time you use the Save, Save As, or Export functions, the default source language will be set to this language.

I just tested this and the only thing missing was that you need to then close the file and open it again. Pretty straightforward.

It wouldn't work in SDL Trados 2007 because this feature was not available then. In SDL Trados Studio 2009 it is.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

Adrián Morgollón
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still don't work Oct 1, 2009

Hi again Paul. It still does not work. Maybe I did not explain myself correctly.
This function just changes the source and target languages order but the units remain in the same language. I'll try to explain it with an example. This is my TM:

Spanish English

Both Ambos
Group Grupo

Ok, what I need is the TM to be like this:

Spanish English

Ambos Both
Grupo Group

All I get with Olifant is to change the source and target order of the columns:

(Source) (Target)

Spanish English

Both Ambos
Group Grupo

OR

(Source) (Target)

English Spanish

Ambos Both
Grupo Group

So as you see the units remain in the same language (the wrong one).
What I really need is to assigned a different language to the units (English to the ones which now appear in the Spanish language column and vice versa)

[Edited at 2009-10-01 08:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-01 08:45 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
Save, then close the file and reopen Oct 1, 2009

Hi Mandu,

Have you followed the last point? You have to save the changes, then close the file and then reopen it. When you do this the languages themselves will also be reversed as you need.

If you still can't do this drop me your email address and I'll contact you off-forum and try and do it for you.

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

Adrián Morgollón
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I have done it. Oct 1, 2009

Hi Paul,

Yes, I have done it but it does not work.
My email is mandu36@hotmail.com.
Thank you very much for your help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM languages exchange

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search