Thread poster: xxxStrastran
xxxStrastran
France
Local time: 23:08
French to English
+ ...
Oct 1, 2009

Hi everyone

Working on my first file in Studio 2009, I just got this message, the exact wording of which I can't say because it appeared so quickly, before Trados crashed.

I've lost everything I've done now, as (like the genius I am) I hadn't saved the file I was working on. However, I didn't think this would be a problem as in TagEditor, even if I hadn't saved the file I would simply have to open the original again and the segments would be in the TM. I'd be amazed and very disappointed if SDL have effectively removed this very important feature, yet this time, there is nothing at all in there from what I've just spent two hours doing.

Can anyone help with either a) more info on the 'runtime' error or b) finding the work I did?

Thanks in advance!

Direct link Reply with quote

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:08
German to English
+ ...
It should be in the TM Oct 2, 2009

As far as I know they haven't removed the feature. When I've had Studio 2009 crash (as it is wont to do periodically), I've been able to restore my work from the TM.

How are you trying to process the file again? If you reopen the original file, it should just find the matches as you work through ...

You have my sympathies though. I bet you'll remember to save next time!

xxxStrastran
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 2, 2009

Mary Worby wrote:

As far as I know they haven't removed the feature. When I've had Studio 2009 crash (as it is wont to do periodically), I've been able to restore my work from the TM.

How are you trying to process the file again? If you reopen the original file, it should just find the matches as you work through ...

You have my sympathies though. I bet you'll remember to save next time!

Thanks Mary

I certainly will take more care, I realise I can't possibly blame SDL for me not saving a file I'd been working on for two hours.

However, when I tried to open the original file, it said 'file type not supported'. So I rebooted, and unzipped the original file from the customer's email again, tried again and this time it opened, only no segments at all were recognised. It was as if I'd never worked on it!

I suspect the TM segments are 'there' somewhere, but I can't find them, so last night simply used TagEditor to translate the file as I would have done before and managed to meet my deadline.

Hopefully the fabled SP1 will fix these things when it comes out...

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
"General" TM in Studio Oct 2, 2009

Hello Patrick,

did you assign a specific TM and/or checked which TMs were linked with that translation project? I haven't experienced it (yet), as I always set a specific TM, but I have read in the forums that another colleague couldn't find any translation unit in his TM, until he realized that they had ended up in a sort of "general" TM.

Have you searched all Studio 2009 TM folders? Or double-checked your default settings, specifically those related to TMs? (Sorry, I am no real help, just trying to figure out what might have happened)

Giuliana

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Project TM's versus Main TM's Oct 2, 2009

Hi,

I think Giuliana is on the right tact. This sounds as though your translated TU's are actually in the Project TM and not in your Main TM, so when you opened the document again in a new Project there was nothing to match.

If you did create a Project for this you may find the TM in this folder.

C: - Users - username - Documents - SDL Trados Studio - Projects

It will be under the Projects name and in a folder called TM.

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

[Edited at 2009-10-02 13:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-02 13:46 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-02 13:46 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009: Runtime error

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search