heeeelp? urgent deadline and can't clean up file
Thread poster: josol
josol
Local time: 19:28
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 2, 2009

Hi, I worked on a 8000 word file and tried to clean up, but no success. I tried converting to rtf, reorganising the memory but nothing helps. can someone help? I need to send this to my client in about an hour!

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel Weston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:28
French to English
+ ...
Tags issue? Oct 2, 2009

The only thing I can thing of is that you have damaged or missing tags. Find where the problem is, toggle tag protection off, and key in the correct missing tags. Then toggle tag protection back on. You can usually find the problem areas by "translating to fuzzy", it should stop on the sentence with the missing or damaged tags. Then continue on through to document. Before doing this, switch hidden characters on, so you can see the tags. It should be obvious what is missing. Hope this helps, I have encountered it before, fixed the tags, and was then able to clean the file.

Veroniki Velli  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 20:28
English to Greek
+ ...
Macros can help Oct 2, 2009

A general solution that works in most of the cases:
Open your file, go to Tools>Macros>Macros, Find the Macro "tw4win.Clean.Main" and press "Apply" or "Execution".
My Word is in Greek so I am not sure about the English translations of buttons and menus.

However, before delivering the file, check that all parts of the file are properly cleaned.
Checking is really easy.

If any part is left uncleaned just delete the tags and the original segment and you will be ok.

I have already faced this problem and the only thing that worked and saved me was this one.

avsie  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:28
English to French
+ ...
Help us help you... Oct 2, 2009

What file format are you trying to 'clean up', first of all? In what environment? TagEditor, Word? What version of Trados are you using? Also, what error message(s) are you getting?

[Edited at 2009-10-02 11:33 GMT]

Claudio Porcellana  Identity Verified
Italy
clean mission impossible Oct 2, 2009

do a look here

I have a possible useful post
http://www.proz.com/post/1222289#1222289

Claudio

gad
United States
Local time: 13:28
French to English
I had the same thing happen to me Oct 2, 2009

I completed a 26K+ word document, which really didn't have too much formatting or anything, but it absolutely would not clean. I was done about 4 hours before the actual deadline, but then when I got an error message about a tag, first I tried to "Fix Document". Next, I re-ran the file, meaning I started over with the source file using the TM, then tried to clean it again and then I got a message about not being able to convert the file to Word. Whatever, it already was Word, but I don't know if Word 2007 format was the issue. The version of SDL Trados was 2007 Freelance. The environment is Windows XP Professional, PC of course. Anyway, I finally ended up submitting the unclean version with the TM, which the agency sent to the client and they were apparently able to do it somehow, because I got back 3 or 4 questions on my work. I hated having to not send a clean file, but at that point getting closer to the deadline (by that time it was getting to be 2 hours away), submitting an unclean file with the TM's obviously showed the work I did so I could still meet my deadline despite the "technical difficulties".

So anyway I appreciate this thread and Claudio's link to the other thread, I'm also reading these with interest...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

heeeelp? urgent deadline and can't clean up file

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search