possible conflict between SDL Trados 2007 freelance and Across v.4
Thread poster: Claudio Porcellana
Claudio Porcellana  Identity Verified
Italy
Oct 2, 2009

or, may be, between SDL Trados 2007 freelance and Across SQL

recently, I had a lot of issues with Concordance, Cleaning and Analysis tools that crashed
(see here http://www.proz.com/topic/146225)

I investigated deeply in Trados KB, OS Event manager, and Google, but I found no clue

Clicking on CTRL+ALT+DEL revealed 3 background processes, linked to Across SQL, so considering that the agency that forced me to install Across, sent so far only 1 20$ job I decided to remove Across

Clearly, the 3 background processes desappeared, but in the meanwhile, Concordance, Cleaning and Analysis tools work again !

So, considering that SDL Trados 2007 freelance installs its own version of SQL, I suppose that there is a conflict between Across SQL and SDL Trados SQL

what do you think about?
is SDL aware of this possibility?
is Across aware of this possibility?

Claudio

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 07:14
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
No problem here Oct 2, 2009

Hello Claudio,

I have Across & Suite 2007 installed on the same machine (OS Vista Ultimate/GER SP1, MSOffice 2003) and never ever stumbled across any conflit per se. I must admit that I never had both running in parallel. Was that your case?

BTW, I vaguely remember some SQL installing issues, solved with the newest Across release, but nothing specific

Giuliana

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
T2007 doesn't install SQL services... Oct 2, 2009

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

So, considering that SDL Trados 2007 freelance installs its own version of SQL, [/quote]

Trados 2007 doesn't install any kind of SQL server software.
Your problem seems not related to SQL.

PS.
No problems here.

Cheers
GG

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 09:14
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
No problem here, as well Oct 2, 2009

I used SDL Trados Suite together with Across V.4
And now I have SDL Trados Suite, Studio 2009 and Across V.5 installed. I have no problems with Concordance, Cleaning and Analysis.

So, considering that SDL Trados 2007 freelance installs its own version of SQL, I suppose that there is a conflict between Across SQL and SDL Trados SQL

Does Trados install SQL? I have been using Trados for years but I didn't notice that before.

--------------------
Grzegorz, thanks for confirming it.

However, as regards the SQL problem, I have experienced problems with Across and Alchemy Publisher but most definitely due to my insufficient knowledge on SQL.

[Edited at 2009-10-02 10:22 GMT]

French to Polish
+ ...
SQLite on Trados 2009 Oct 2, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Does Trados install SQL? I have been using Trados for years but I didn't notice that before! [/quote]
Trados 2009 do use SQLite to store data in the DBs.
No previous desktop version used it.
SQL servers were used only by some Trados/Multiterm server versions.

SQLite and MS SQL Express (used by Across) should not interfere at all.

Cheers
GG

French to Polish
+ ...
Across SQL server instance Oct 2, 2009

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

However, as regards the SQL problem, I have experienced problems with Across and Alchemy Publisher but most definitely due to my insufficient knowledge on SQL.[/quote]
Different SQL instances should not interfere alhough the Across one often created setup problems, so somenthing could go wrong (AFAIK some SQL server files are shared by several instances).

Cheers
GG

Italy
TOPIC STARTER
no SQL? Oct 2, 2009

may be then that the culprit is SDL teamwork?

anyway, my issues disappeared just after Across uninstalling ...
mah ...

Claudio

French to Polish
+ ...
Multiple displays? Oct 2, 2009

may be then that the culprit is SDL teamwork?

anyway, my issues disappeared just after Across uninstalling ...
mah...

Of course, both causes are possible but...

You use multiple displays?
The Concordance, Cleaning and Analysis windows may have landed out of your screen...
It's a well known Trados annoyance when you detach the monitor where these windows were located.

Cheers
GG

Italy
TOPIC STARTER
yes multiple monitor but ... Oct 2, 2009

it is not the culprit as the Trados GUI was never disappeared from view!

my issues were:
1 - start the Clean option and you receive tons of error messages about skipped files (and tons of tmp files accumulate in Documents and Settings/My Name/Local settings/Temp folder)

2 - start the Reorganize tool and it freezes on last step, Loading ..., but the main program doesn't freezes: simply, you can't ever reorganize the memory. BUT if you export and reimport the txt exportation file the Reorganize tool works ...

3 - start the Analise tool and it freezes

4 - search for a sentences that you know exixt in the memory and you find nothing

then: I fixed the 1, 3 and 4 issues with this workaround: http://www.proz.com/topic/146225
but the 4 issue remains ... even after Across removing, ARGH!
I see that it freezes or works randomly!

the moral of the story is that ASAP I'll have to format the hard disk and reisntall all softwares

Claudio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

possible conflict between SDL Trados 2007 freelance and Across v.4

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search