Source strings remain in Word file?!!!
Thread poster: Farzad Akmali

Farzad Akmali  Identity Verified
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
Oct 2, 2009

Dear Friends,

I was translating in Word 2007 using SDL Trados 2007; I am not sure what button I clicked that

going ahead with file the source strings and the tags remains, before that, when I inserted the

translation and closed the segment, the source segment hided. How may I get rid of this

inconvenience??

Many thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2009-10-02 21:28 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:50
English to French
+ ...
Word options Oct 2, 2009

I am almost convinced that this has to do with your Word options, specifically the Show hidden text setting.

In Word, click on the colourful round button at the top left of the window, and then click the Word options button. Then, go to the Display thumbnail and see if the Hidden text checkbox is checked. If you don't want to display the source segments, this box should be unchecked.

Sadly, this bug has been around in all versions of Word I have worked with--and that is a long while. It only goes to show how Word is essentially the same is it ever was, even if it now has a sleek costume that would trick you into thinking otherwise (I just can't stand the so-called Ribbon). Sometimes, the setting just switches itself on and off on its own. When that happens, take a deep breath and go fix it as described above.

However, please note that it is not because you don't see the source text that it isn't there--it is only hidden. To produce the final translation (without the source segments), you have to clean up the translated document once you are happy with your translation. Check the Translator's Workbench User Guide in your program folder for more information on this.

I hope this helps. All the best!

[Edited at 2009-10-02 22:42 GMT]

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 00:50
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Bilingual file Oct 3, 2009

Dear Farzad,

that's the way bilingual files are created. The source text & tags disappear after cleaning the file, once you are don with translating. Please briefly read the Trados documentation. It's all there.

Giuliana

Farzad Akmali  Identity Verified
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 4, 2009

Many Thanks Dear Friends!

It works very well.

best,

Farzad

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source strings remain in Word file?!!!

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search