Source strings remain in Word file?!!!
Thread poster: Farzad Akmali

Farzad Akmali  Identity Verified
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
Oct 2, 2009

Dear Friends,

I was translating in Word 2007 using SDL Trados 2007; I am not sure what button I clicked that

going ahead with file the source strings and the tags remains, before that, when I inserted the

translation and closed the segment, the source segment hided. How may I get rid of this

inconvenience??

Many thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2009-10-02 21:28 GMT]

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:00
English to French
+ ...
Word options Oct 2, 2009

I am almost convinced that this has to do with your Word options, specifically the Show hidden text setting.

In Word, click on the colourful round button at the top left of the window, and then click the Word options button. Then, go to the Display thumbnail and see if the Hidden text checkbox is checked. If you don't want to display the source segments, this box should be unchecked.

Sadly, this bug has been around in all versions of Word I have worked with--and that is a long while. It only goes to show how Word is essentially the same is it ever was, even if it now has a sleek costume that would trick you into thinking otherwise (I just can't stand the so-called Ribbon). Sometimes, the setting just switches itself on and off on its own. When that happens, take a deep breath and go fix it as described above.

However, please note that it is not because you don't see the source text that it isn't there--it is only hidden. To produce the final translation (without the source segments), you have to clean up the translated document once you are happy with your translation. Check the Translator's Workbench User Guide in your program folder for more information on this.

I hope this helps. All the best!

[Edited at 2009-10-02 22:42 GMT]

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:00
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Bilingual file Oct 3, 2009

Dear Farzad,

that's the way bilingual files are created. The source text & tags disappear after cleaning the file, once you are don with translating. Please briefly read the Trados documentation. It's all there.

Giuliana

Farzad Akmali  Identity Verified
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 4, 2009

Many Thanks Dear Friends!

It works very well.

best,

Farzad

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source strings remain in Word file?!!!

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search