Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Translating MS Powerpoint files with Trados.
Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:58
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Oct 4, 2009

Hi,

I have Trados 7.0, Win XP, MS Office 2003. Could you please tell me if it is
possible to translate powerpoint files by using Trados?

When I open the Powerpoint file, I don't see Trados toolbar unlike Word. When I
try to translate it by using TagEditor, I find that only two or three words are
shown in every segment instead of the complete sentence. Therefore, I can't
translate it by using TagEditor also.

Regards and thanks,

Chopra

Direct link Reply with quote

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 23:28
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
TagEditor Oct 4, 2009

Hello Chopra,

simply open TWB then TagEditor and import your PPT.

You might also want to have a look at the TWB online help, there you'll find the basics about which file formats are supported and where and how to translate them

Giuliana

Why not in TagEditor? TagEditor imports all the text which has to be translated (ok, apart from non-editable text or images). If you have a few words per slide and/or line, then TE will import them separately, amist tags, the only way to re-create the original layout (and format)

[Edited at 2009-10-04 06:16 GMT]

Mohamed Kamel  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 00:28
English to Arabic
+ ...
Agree, Giuliana :) Oct 4, 2009

Exactly, Giuliana. No further explanation

MK

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
hard breaks will split segments Oct 4, 2009

Hard breaks may be the problem:

Check in your original that sentences are not broken with hard breaks. If they are, Tag Editor will consider them as separate segments and it is impossible to merge them once the file has been segmented.

Go to your original file and remove any hard breaks that you find in the middle of sentences.

VoiceTex
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Do you have images in your PP file that include text? Oct 4, 2009

langclinic wrote:

When I
try to translate it by using TagEditor, I find that only two or three words are
shown in every segment instead of the complete sentence. Therefore, I can't
translate it by using TagEditor also.

Well, you probably have images in your PP file. And the TagEditor can't import words from images, as far as I know.
How about supplying the translation in a seperate Word file with exact details on what sentence/word goes where and have their DTP person sort this out.

Or - if you have time that is - you contact your client and tell him that you can't translate the file.
Maybe they are able to do something to help you out.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-10-04 08:08 GMT]

India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply and suggestions. Oct 4, 2009

Hi Giuliana,

I open the TWB and then the TagEditor. I open the file to be translated by going to TE Menu and then choosing File and Open. I do this while translating the .ttx files, so I have done this to translate the powerpoint file also. What does "import your PPT" mentioned by you mean? Is this the manner to handle the ppt files? Kindly explain.

Secondly, I would like to point out that if a sentence has about 27 words in two lines in the text, the TE shows first 15 words in the first segment and the remaining 12 words in the next segment whereas I need to have all 27 words in one segment to translate it properly in Hindi. In fact, the words in the first line of every sentence are being presented as a separate segment instead of the whole sentence.

Can something be done in this respect?

Regards,

Chopra

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

Hello Chopra,

simply open TWB then TagEditor and import your PPT.

You might also want to have a look at the TWB online help, there you'll find the basics about which file formats are supported and where and how to translate them

Giuliana

Why not in TagEditor? TagEditor imports all the text which has to be translated (ok, apart from non-editable text or images). If you have a few words per slide and/or line, then TE will import them separately, amist tags, the only way to re-create the original layout (and format)

[Edited at 2009-10-04 06:16 GMT]

India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your detailed reply and help. Oct 4, 2009

Yes, I have images in the powerpoint file but I am not talking about the text in the images. Instead, I have problem with the usual text.

The actual problem is that the whole text of the single sentence is not being presented as a separte segment and the text is being divided in many segments. For example, if a sentence has about 27 words in two lines in the text, the TE shows first 15 words in the first segment and the remaining 12 words in the next segment whereas I need to have all 27 words in one segment to translate it properly in Hindi. In fact, the words in the first line of every sentence are being presented as a separate segment instead of the whole sentence.

Is it due to some formatting errors? Can I fix the problem?

Regards,

Chopra

Christina Heger wrote:

Well, you probably have images in your PP file. And the TagEditor can't import words from images, as far as I know.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Source file may need editing Oct 4, 2009

Hi Chopra,

The actual problem is that the whole text of the single sentence is not being presented as a separte segment and the text is being divided in many segments. For example, if a sentence has about 27 words in two lines in the text, the TE shows first 15 words in the first segment and the remaining 12 words in the next segment whereas I need to have all 27 words in one segment to translate it properly in Hindi. In fact, the words in the first line of every sentence are being presented as a separate segment instead of the whole sentence.

Sounds like a rather typical source file formatting issue - authors often use paragraph breaks (as opposed to manual line breaks) to position text on a slide. For example,

If I want to split text that
runs across two lines

exactly as shown, I can use a line feed (indicated by the "sr" tag) - in which case you can expand the segment to include the text after the line feed. If, however, I use a paragraph break ("br"), you cannot expand the segment.

Have a look at the source file; you may need to remove paragraph breaks between parts of sentences. (Don't forget to alert the customer - you may need to charge extra for this task.)

HTH, Ralf

India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much for your informative and knowledgeable reply. Oct 4, 2009

Could you please tell me the step by step procedure for removing the paragraph breaks between parts of the sentences?

Regards,

Chopra

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Have a look at the source file; you may need to remove paragraph breaks between parts of sentences. (Don't forget to alert the customer - you may need to charge extra for this task.)

HTH, Ralf

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Basic MS Office operation Oct 4, 2009

Hi again,

Could you please tell me the step by step procedure for removing the paragraph breaks between parts of the sentences?

Sorry, but I'm running against a major deadline myself.
In contrast to Word, for example, AFAIK PowerPoint does not offer the option of displaying non-printable characters on screen. Simply open the PPT file and remove the break in one of the problematic segments, then see what happens when you open the file in TagEditor.

HTH,
Ralf

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
External CAT software... Oct 4, 2009

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Sorry, but I'm running against a major deadline myself.
In contrast to Word, for example, AFAIK PowerPoint does not offer the option of displaying non-printable characters on screen.

Another problem is you can't use special characters in the Find and Replace window, so you can't search globally line breaks and replace 'em by spaces if necessary.

Simply open the PPT file and remove the break in one of the problematic segments, then see what happens when you open the file in TagEditor.

Unfortunately, you can do it only manually.

For me, the easier way to deal with this kind of formatting issues is to import the TTX file in another CAT tool which permits to join TTX segments even if you have br tags.
I use mainly DVX but probably MemoQ is better/easier here.
Go to http://www.kilgray.com and download the 45-day evaluation version.

Cheers
GG

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Or you could try a ppt macro to remove the hard breaks Oct 4, 2009

Hi Chopra,

You could also take Ralfs advice but use a macro to look for the breaks and remove them. I did find this one, that I tested quickly and it seems to work quite nicely, although it was a simple file.

http://www.necco.ca/dv/macros/ppt/Replace_CR_LF_Tab_3.ppa

I can't take responsibility for the macro itself as it didn't come from SDL, but it might be a way to clean up the source document prior to translation. Just a thought.

I found this one here which is a "tips and tricks for translators" website;

http://www.necco.ca/dv/ppt_excel.htm

Regards

Paul
SDL Support

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Editing TTX source Oct 5, 2009

SDL Support wrote:

You could also take Ralfs advice
quote]

Another approach is to disable the TTX document protection (Tools > Options > Protection tab), then cut the content of the second segment (leave there some strange chars like ###) and paste it in the first segment.
Then open the first segment.
Be careful and reenable the document protection ASAP, you may easily damage your document by mistake.

It should work but make a backup copy and check if the document exports.
I hope your PPT is not a 150 MB one

Cheers
GG

xxxchristela
Be careful Oct 5, 2009

Be careful when deleting the line breaks, in most cases you'll be messing up the lay-out. Therefore I always charge +30% for Powerpoint files and begin with properly formatting them. As said above, most authors don't know how to handle Powerpoint. Most PPT files have been created by persons who didn't get proper training. My husband, who is an engineer, makes PPT files, he thinks it is easy, but he puts line breaks everywhere and spaces or tabs in the beginning of a line.

You can also try to copy the boxes into Word, translate them with your favourite CAT and then paste them back into PPT. If texts are big, maybe this is easier.

Some PPT files are untranslatable with a CAT, from a technical point of view. Then you have no other choice than translating them directly with PPT.

[Edited at 2009-10-05 07:50 GMT]

Lys Nguyen  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 05:28
Member (2005)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
I also cant open .ppt file in TE Oct 9, 2009

When I open .ppt file, it displays "connection with server application error: the method or operation is not implemented."
although I tried saving .ppt in other formats: .pps, .pot.
Your prompt help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lys

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating MS Powerpoint files with Trados.

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search