Transitioning MultiTerm data into MT 2009 via XML
Thread poster: Jonathan von Zelowitz
Jonathan von Zelowitz
Jonathan von Zelowitz  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:08
French to English
Oct 4, 2009

I have been making the transition from Trados & SDLX 2006 (MultiTerm 7) to Trados Studio 2009 (MultiTerm 2009).

Theoretically, MultiTerm 2009 can "automatically" reopen MultiTerm termbases that were "packaged" by a previous version.

In my experience, this worked correctly for SOME of my termbases, but not all of them. (Some caused MT 2009 to crash under Vista – but not under XP, strangely. This may be a UAC problem, but not the same one cited in a recent thread.)
... See more
I have been making the transition from Trados & SDLX 2006 (MultiTerm 7) to Trados Studio 2009 (MultiTerm 2009).

Theoretically, MultiTerm 2009 can "automatically" reopen MultiTerm termbases that were "packaged" by a previous version.

In my experience, this worked correctly for SOME of my termbases, but not all of them. (Some caused MT 2009 to crash under Vista – but not under XP, strangely. This may be a UAC problem, but not the same one cited in a recent thread.)

My solution was to EXPORT the termbases, rather than PACKAGING them. This creates XML files. Then, in MultiTerm 2009, I created new termbases and IMPORTED the XML (I used "slow" import).

This worked perfectly for all of my termbases. Additionally, I noticed that the new termbases are thereby created with the .sdltb file extension, rather than .mdb. This may represent a new file format. I don't know what advantages it has over .mdb, but the icon is prettier!

In brief, my advice is:
1. Export your MT termbases (to XML files) before moving to a new version of MultiTerm. At worst, this is an unnecessary precaution. Better safe than sorry!
2. Optionally, import them rather than transitioning the old files automatically.

Good luck!
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 11:08
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
why sdltb extension? Oct 4, 2009

The files are still pure-bred Microsoft Access data Bases. I would assume, changing the extension was meant as a side step away from mtb, so that customers do not accidentally (with a double click for instance) call up Access. Now, that sdltb extension is associated with MultiTerm (no way to do that with mtb) there's one conflict less to handle.

Regards

Vito

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transitioning MultiTerm data into MT 2009 via XML

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »