Thread poster: Simone Linke

Simone Linke  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:28
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 7, 2009

I'm sorry if this is an amateur question but I think I'm lost with Studio2009 and Microsoft Office files that come in either the 2003 or the 2007 format.

I'm using the new Studio2009 and I have Office 2007 installed on my computer.

Now, the following happened:
- Yesterday, I wanted to open a doc file (word2003) but Trados told me that the file couldn't be opened because Word2003 wasn't installed on my machine and I should instead rename the file to docx (word2007).
- I did that and was annoyed for a while. But it worked.
- Today, I tried again (I did not install Word 2003 on my machine) and suddenly, Trados did open the same doc file from yesterday (and all other doc files I tried). No error message. No problems.

- Now, I'm trying to open Excel 2003 files and the same stuff happens again. Trados tells me that Excel 2003 is not installed on my machine and I should rename the Excel files to xlsx.

Now, I'm annoyed again and have no clue what the heck is going on here. Can anybody help me out? Will Trados decide tomorrow that it is able to open Excel2003 files as well? Did I purchase some sort of moody software? :-/

Thanks a lot!

P.S.: Slightly different but related issue: in the settings, it tells me that Open Office files are also supported. But when I try to open an odt file, I get an error telling me that Studio2007 is not installed on my system. Huh?!

[Edited at 2009-10-07 08:41 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2009 and Office 2003/2007

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search