https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/147503-translation_memory_files.html

Translation Memory Files
Thread poster: Daniel Pestana
Daniel Pestana
Daniel Pestana  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:51
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 8, 2009

Hi. I'm trying to learn how to work with SDL Trados and Wordfast, but in order to do so, I need a Translation Memory File to learn how the software really works. Where can I find these kind of files, if there are any. And Tutorials online, are there any good ones?

Kind regards everyone.

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:51
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Create / feed your own TMs Oct 8, 2009

Hello Daniel,

create your own TMs in that you start translating your files or align previously translated files (source & target). This way TMs are fed with translation units.

As to manuals, the Help section in TWB contains the basics or all what you need for a start.

Simply use/work with the software and you'll learn how to. Of course, you could also attend a seminar, but I wouldn't attend it without having any idea about the software (this is my personal
... See more
Hello Daniel,

create your own TMs in that you start translating your files or align previously translated files (source & target). This way TMs are fed with translation units.

As to manuals, the Help section in TWB contains the basics or all what you need for a start.

Simply use/work with the software and you'll learn how to. Of course, you could also attend a seminar, but I wouldn't attend it without having any idea about the software (this is my personal opinion. I am very much for seminars, but for more sophisticated steps, once one has gathered some experience with it)

Giuliana
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:51
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sometimes, you can find TM files in public domain Oct 8, 2009

For example, here: http://wt.jrc.it/lt/Acquis/DGT_TU_1.0/data/ there are TM files of translations of EU acquis in TMX format (refer to your software manual for importing them).

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:51
English to Hungarian
+ ...
align Oct 8, 2009

Daniel Pestana wrote:

Hi. I'm trying to learn how to work with SDL Trados and Wordfast, but in order to do so, I need a Translation Memory File to learn how the software really works. Where can I find these kind of files, if there are any. And Tutorials online, are there any good ones?

Kind regards everyone.

Just for testing, one volume from the DGT acquis TM should be fine.
As you start to use the thing for real, consider aligning your own translations or other bilingual material to create TMs in the fields you work in. I won't go into doing the alingment itself here, look it up.

Daniel Pestana
Daniel Pestana  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:51
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 8, 2009

Hi Giuliana and Esperantisto. Thank you so much for the tips. I would really love to attend a seminar or a course of Trados, but there aren't any where I live. Unfortunately, courses of Trados are only possible in Lisbon or Oporto. It's too far away. My one and only day-off is sometimes Sunday, so... as much as wanted to, I do not have the time Thank you for the great help.

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 08:51
Member (2011)
English to German
Translation Memory Files and AutoSuggest Dictionaries Jul 14, 2011

Hi! I've attended the SDL Trados webinar for beginners yesterday and wanted to try out my trial version today. Unfortunately, I was not able to find an AutoSuggest Dictionary for the language pair "German to English US" on the internet. I also could not find a Translation Memory for this language pair. Has anybody else experienced this problem and is able to help?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Memory Files

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »