Thread poster: carrick16

carrick16  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:10
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 8, 2009

Hello everyone,

I'm experiencing a problem with Tag Editor (SDL Trados 2007). It crashes when opening a file, ANY file. I can work just fine in Workbench but when I try to open files in TE a message appears: "An error has occurred and TE needs to shut down"... no error specified.

Any ideas?

Direct link Reply with quote

Radek Ptak
Local time: 01:10
English to Polish
... Oct 8, 2009

What does happen when you open TagEditor without t any file? Does it crash as well?

Try to disable all the plug-ins here:

especially if you use your own, not standard, one.

Radek

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same thing Oct 8, 2009

Hi Radek,

Thanks for the hint.

I tried and... same thing, same message...

Radek Ptak
English to Polish
... Oct 8, 2009

You're welcome but you haven't answered my first question
Does it crash even when you run it without opening any file?

radek

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados Support Team... Oct 8, 2009

Hello,

You may need to register your SDL Trados 2007 files to Windows by running the following file:

Please go to Start -> All Programs -> SDL International -> SDL Trados 2007 -> Trados and then run the "Register SDL Trados 2007” .bat file. If you are using Windows Vista then you will need to right click on "Register SDL Trados 2007" and select "Run as Administrator" from the menu.

Also, we recommend all users do this whenever switching from using one version of SDL Trados to using SDL Trados 2007.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still getting the error message Oct 8, 2009

Sorry Radek: no, it doesn't crash when I run it without opening files.

Gareth: Thank you for your suggestion.
I followed your instructions but the same error occurred.

Do you need more specific details? Am I doing something wrong? I honestly have no clues here...

Radek Ptak
English to Polish
... Oct 8, 2009

carrick16 wrote:

Sorry Radek: no, it doesn't crash when I run it without opening files.

That is good news

So, what kind of TTX files are you trying to open: INI based, STF based, PluginConverted (i.e. based on PPT, XLS, DOC) or RTF based?

Radek

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XLS and RTF Oct 8, 2009

A simple excel file and two .rtf based files...

Have tried any type, any extension. Also existent TTX files from previous translations, that I created, not sent by clients - but even then... it's all the same... TE crashes no matter what I try to open...

United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados Support… Oct 9, 2009

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. Are you using Windows XP or Windows Vista?

If you are using Windows Vista then I highly recommend disabling the UAC feature before continuing:

1. Go to Start > Control Panel > User Accounts
2. Select the "Turn User Account Control on or off" option
3. Un-tick the option "Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer"
4. Select OK to save all changes and restart your computer.

The problem you are experiencing could be an issue with the filters which TagEditor uses to read your files. If they are corrupt then this would cause a problem. Please follow these instructions:

1. Please unhide all hidden files and folders and then delete the following folder:

Windows XP: C: > Documents and Settings > All Users > Application Data > SDL International > Filters

Windows Vista: C: > ProgramData > SDL International > Filters

2. Please run a repair on SDL Trados 2007 to replace the filters:

Windows XP:
Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > select SDL Trados 2007 from the list > choose the "Click here for support information" link > choose "Repair".

Windows Vista:
Go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features > select SDL Trados 2007 from the list > select "Repair" from the toolbar.

The repair will replace all missing files and folders. Please try loading a file into TagEditor again.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

[Edited at 2009-10-09 13:32 GMT]

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
...should I just remove and reinstall it? Oct 9, 2009

Hi Gareth,

Thank you for your help and support.

I'm using Windows XP and this is what I found out when following your instructions. The path on my machine does not correspond to the one you indicated.

I had to go to C:/Programs/SDL International/SDLX/ to find the "Filters" folder and also found another "Filters" folder in C:/Programs/SDL International/T2007FT/TT. Should I delete both before running a repair action?

I'm not sure if that's relevant, but not being a technician I prefer not to pretend being one or try things myself.

Was also wondering if I shouldn't just try to remove the whole program and install it again... make things easier...

Thanks a lot.

[Edited at 2009-10-09 14:35 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-09 14:41 GMT]

United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados Support… Oct 9, 2009

Hello,

Thank you for the information. I'm afraid the Filters folders you found are not the same folder we are looking for. If you are unable to find the Filters folder I mentioned in my previous post then this could very well be the overall problem with TagEditor. Please try the following:

1. Please go to the C:/Programs/SDL International/T2007FT/TT folder
2. Double-click the shortcut folder entitled "Tag and Filter Settings", which is a direct link to the filters folder.

If this shortcut does not work, or the Filters folder is empty then please run a repair using the instructions in my previous post. If the Filters folder contains a list of files then please delete these files first and then run a repair.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no luck Oct 9, 2009

Hello Gareth,

So I found the the list of files, deleted them all, ran a repair, rebooted, ran TE and the same error occurred when opening a file.

Any specific information you may need that I'm actually leaving out?

Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor crashes when opening files

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search